Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LIke Jeff, AC awaits me!

On Apr 19, 3:52*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 04:46:39 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Apr 17, 10:52 pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , mm wrote:
B) What do you think a fair price would be for one of the two. It's
Armstrong Air 24,000 BTU. model SCU10G24A-1 I will remove it,
with my handtruck and probably with the husband's assistance, since
it's one story up the hill on a flagstone walk with plenty of bumps
and grass in between.

5 years old and not currently operational? There's a
non-trivial chance a motor will seize when they're
restarted.

The electricty is right there. *Could I start the thing up and run it
for a second or two, to see if it's seized, without blowing it up for
lack of an output for the freon? *

Maybe one of the HVAC guys knows the answer to that, but it
doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'm not so sure about
the motor seizing anyway. From what I know of AC compressors,
they are a sealed motor, with the refrigerant surrounding the
motor and compressor, providing lubrication, etc. Doesn't
sound likely to seize to me. I've had window AC units or
old fridges that were sitting around for years not used and
always started right up.

Since you think they will give it to you anyway, why not just
agree that you'll pay them $300 or whatever when you get
it installed and running.