Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rug Doctor

I'm looking for a cleaning solution pump for an old upright Rug Doctor
carpet & upholstery cleaner, the model EZ-1. I've got inquires out to Rug
Doctor and a couple of dealers. I got a junk machine for parts but that
one had a bad pump too and efforts to combine parts failed because the seal
material was just too degraded. This machine is probably 25 years old.

If all else fails I was thinking of just getting a small self contained
pump and stuffing it in there. Any suggestions? The OEM pump is a
centrifugal unit powered by a 120V motor that is labeled 1/11 HP 1.25 A (to
give an idea of the size).

I assume most pumps won't be too happy if you completely block the output
which is the case here when the pump is running but the cleaning button
(that turns on the spray via a solenoid valve) is not pressed...or one is
using the handtool but not hitting the trigger. The original pump has a
small recirculation hose probably for that reason. No regulation; just a
tiny connecting hose output coming off alongside the main output. I would
probably do something similar. I wonder if a small fountain pump would be
suitable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Another spec. you need to know is rpm of the motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another spec. you need to know is rpm of the motor.

It says 9000 RPM. I presume that's no-load. It's not really important as
I am not proposing to replace the motor or put a new pump on the end of
this one (well I would if that was possible but the way the seals and
impeller are arranged it's a likely guess that it is normally replaced as a
unit).

I was giving info about the motor to enable better suggestions for a
possible alternative pump to put in and by pump I'm meaning a self
contained motor/pump. I'm thinking something along the lines of the sort
of pump that someone might have on a small residential water fountain.
What RPM is going on inside an alternative pump I don't really care. But
it should probably be comparable to the 1/11 HP on the original.

Unless someone has some parts sources to find the OEM replacement.

BTW, the original is from a company called Triem or Rogers-Triem (my
machine vs. the parts source machine). I don't know if they made only the
motor or the pump part as well.

Here it is:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...c/doc-pump.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:
[...]

I've gotten in the habit of checking Ebay for odds and ends:
http://tinyurl.com/3mn5kbu
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2011 9:23 PM, Steve Kraus wrote:
[...]

Great idea if you want to open up the spray jets and practically pour
the solution on the carpet. You need a high pressure pump. How high?
That's your mission, may you choose to accept it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote:
I've gotten in the habit of checking Ebay for odds and ends:
http://tinyurl.com/3mn5kbu

Yeah, I've been doing that. CL too. That's where I came across a guy not
too far away with two canister types and two uprights like mine for sale...
$100 total. I gave him $25 for an upright with a siezed pump hoping I
could repair it but it was too far gone. It's going to the curb for next
garbage pickup minus everything useful I could possibly remove from it.
Maybe I should have investigated the canister types further but they are
outside my experience so I have no idea what kind of pump they have. The
pump on the other upright he had didn't even hum when power was fed
directly too it so likely siezed and allowed to burn out.

I'm starting to guess that the pump is probably the main point of terminal
failure on these. Seal starts to break down and the bearing(s) sieze. In
retrospect it was taking a big chance when I bought the one I have at a
flea market in the early nineties without testing it. It's lasted although
it doesn't get used heavily and there was probably a period of time when it
didn't get used at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 9:23*pm, Steve Kraus
wrote:
[...]

Chunk the old Rug Doctor and either rent one at the grocery store the
next time you need one or buy a rebuilt carpet cleaner at a place like
Big Lot's. I got one for less than $100 with full factory warranty
about 4 years ago.Paid for itself the first time I used it. I spray my
carpets down using a garden sprayer with an OxyClean solution before
cleaning.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I made contact with Rug Doctor and have ordered a new motor + pump. I
could have just gotten the pump but I'd rather spend more and not have to
deal with assembling any tricky seals.

This is for use at my business at a downtown location. I used to rent and
haul the machine downtown from the suburbs. Crazy but there's no place
nearby to get one and if I have to drive down it doesn't much matter where
it comes from. Eventually I started transporting via off-peak commuter
train which actually was pretty easy--our train line having high level
platforms so no heavy lifting.

Having my own machine means being able to clean when I want and deal with
spills and spots immediately. Intangibles that don't translate directly
into rental cost vs. owning cost. I take it home too but that I can do
when I am driving for other reasons and not have to make a special trip as
both driving and parking are costly.

I'm sure there are fine consumer level machines but here is something I
know works. Between myself and a former employer we've had it for about
twenty years and it was a used machine back then. The one consumer machine
I tried had brushes turned by an air turbine and that part soon failed.

I like the OxyClean idea. So how come you don't mix some in the cleaning
solution?

Chunk the old Rug Doctor and either rent one at the grocery store the
next time you need one or buy a rebuilt carpet cleaner at a place like
Big Lot's. I got one for less than $100 with full factory warranty
about 4 years ago.Paid for itself the first time I used it. I spray my
carpets down using a garden sprayer with an OxyClean solution before
cleaning.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 12:17*pm, Steve Kraus
wrote:
[...]

I do but spraying it on and letting it soak a bit works best. I
started putting it down back when I used the commercial guys, then I
rented a rug doctor a couple of times and when I saw I could buy
factory rebuilt units at 25% of new cost I bought my own. I have
become a believer that factory rebuilt is better than new.

Jimmie

doctor .i n online,,,, suschi84 UK diy 0 September 1st 10 02:56 PM
DRILL DOCTOR ??? Ron in NY Home Repair 14 March 1st 09 02:50 PM
Wall Doctor [email protected] UK diy 0 August 1st 06 09:19 PM
drill doctor Michael Lane Woodworking 10 July 31st 06 08:08 AM
Help - Need a Spin Doctor ! Mark UK diy 5 July 5th 04 06:11 PM