Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DRILL DOCTOR ???

Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my drill bits, both
at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it, and what model do
you recommend ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 750, although it is the older one. I had it for years before I
used it the first time. If you follow directions, it does what it says it
will do. I have heard that people have trouble with smaller bits. I have
sharpened many bits on it, and they work a whole lot better. It is quick
and easy to use, and doesn't take long to learn how. I would recommend it.
Purists will disagree, but for the newbie who doesn't want to spend a lot of
time learning how to sharpen bits "properly", it works just fine.

Steve

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my drill bits,
both
at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it, and what
model do
you recommend ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron in NY wrote:
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my drill
bits, both at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of
it, and what model do you recommend ???

There are videos on the web (YouTube?) that instruct you in sharpening drill
bits freehand. Looks like just a flick of the wrist...

Might give that a go first.

It don't cost much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rick rodgers had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...OR-361515-.htm :

-------------------------------------
Ron in NY wrote:

Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my
drill bits, both
at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it, and what
model do
you recommend ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

I have had one for years and get about 50% of what I call sharp bits out
of it. Thats better than any other gadget I have tried. Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my drill bits,
both
at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it, and what
model do
you recommend ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

We have one at work and it does a good job. I don't know that it had paid
for itself yet though. At home I could not justify buying one. I can buy a
lot of the typical bits I use for the price of the DD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can buy a lot of drill bits for the price of a DD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:22:34 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I have a 750, although it is the older one. I had it for years before I
used it the first time. If you follow directions, it does what it says it
will do. I have heard that people have trouble with smaller bits. I have
sharpened many bits on it, and they work a whole lot better. It is quick
and easy to use, and doesn't take long to learn how. I would recommend it.
Purists will disagree, but for the newbie who doesn't want to spend a lot of
time learning how to sharpen bits "properly", it works just fine.

Steve

It might be a good idea for Ron, but for most homeowners, they likely
can buya life time supply of new bits for less than the cost of one
Drill Doctor.

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my drill bits,
both
at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it, and what
model do
you recommend ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 750, although it is the older one. I had it for years before I
used it the first time. If you follow directions, it does what it says it
will do. I have heard that people have trouble with smaller bits. I have
sharpened many bits on it, and they work a whole lot better. It is quick
and easy to use, and doesn't take long to learn how. I would recommend
it.
Purists will disagree, but for the newbie who doesn't want to spend a lot
of
time learning how to sharpen bits "properly", it works just fine.

Steve

It might be a good idea for Ron, but for most homeowners, they likely
can buya life time supply of new bits for less than the cost of one
Drill Doctor.

Mine was a gratuity for doing special work for Drill Doctor during a
convention in Las Vegas. I have three indexes of drill bits, plus handfuls
of miscellaneous other ones. One index is total Chinese crap. Good for
drilling wood or soft butter. The other drill bits on the market aren't
much better. Unless you buy good quality drill bits, and then they run $3
per and up. If one does any drilling at all, a Drill Doctor can be
amortized quickly, especially if those drill bits are above 1/4" in size.
Drill Doctors run from $60 to $120, IIRC. I can get used bits all day long
at yard sales for a dime to a half a buck for the big ones.

And then there's the time when you smoke a bit in the middle of the project,
usually at 7:30 PM. Do you quit and run to the store, which is either
closed or some distance away? Or do you simply sharpen the bit and continue
working? Working with sharp bits increases productivity and shortens
production time. Also drills a better hole. And if you're like me, chances
are the bit you pick is dull.

A Drill Doctor makes sense for me. YMMV.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Feb 26, 7:40*pm, (Ron in NY) wrote:
Hi all,

* * *I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my drill bits, both
at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it, and what model do
you recommend ???

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

local newspaper has a column that looks at all these consumer items,
"lifetime razor", shamwow, etc.; tested the drill doctor. verdict was,
it works very well, but once you've sharpened all the drill bits you
own, you won't need it for a long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Feb 28, 2:44*am, z wrote:

local newspaper has a column that
tested the drill doctor. verdict was,
it works very well, but once you've sharpened all the drill bits you
own, you won't need it for a long time.

Not necesarily so. I had to drill 16 holes in brick/mortar to put up
new shutters. The masonry bit would dull after a few holes and I
resharpened the bit on my DD several times before the project was
completed. Also the most common sizes of my standard bits have been
resharpened several times. Yeah, the odd sizes may not need
resharpening very often, but I am getting a fair amount of use from my
DD.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
On Feb 28, 2:44 am, z wrote:

local newspaper has a column that
tested the drill doctor. verdict was,
it works very well, but once you've sharpened all the drill bits you
own, you won't need it for a long time.

Not necesarily so. I had to drill 16 holes in brick/mortar to put up
new shutters. The masonry bit would dull after a few holes and I
resharpened the bit on my DD several times before the project was
completed. Also the most common sizes of my standard bits have been
resharpened several times. Yeah, the odd sizes may not need
resharpening very often, but I am getting a fair amount of use from my
DD.

Red

Reply:

You sound like me, Red. A guy who uses drills will benefit from a DD. A
guy who drills two holes a year will waste money on a DD. Anyway, that's my
take.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
You sound like me, Red. A guy who uses drills will benefit from a DD. A
guy who drills two holes a year will waste money on a DD. Anyway, that's
my take.

Steve

That's pretty much it. I use brad point bits for woodwork and the DD does
not sharpen them. Nor does it do Forstner bits. I sharpened a few twist
drills over three years ago and have not had to since. I doubt I'll spend
more that $20 for twist bits for the rest of my life so I can't justify a
DD. YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I worked for a fellow years ago, who taught me how to
sharpen bits using a bench grinder. So, I've never used a
DD. I guess the question is how many bits you use.
Aparently, DD work, or so the other folks say.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen
my drill bits, both
at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it,
and what model do
you recommend ???

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
You sound like me, Red. A guy who uses drills will benefit from a DD. A
guy who drills two holes a year will waste money on a DD. Anyway, that's
my take.

Steve

That's pretty much it. I use brad point bits for woodwork and the DD does
not sharpen them. Nor does it do Forstner bits. I sharpened a few twist
drills over three years ago and have not had to since. I doubt I'll spend
more that $20 for twist bits for the rest of my life so I can't justify a
DD. YMMV.

My specialty is welding and metal fabrication. Plus all the honeydo jobs.
One can run through a lot of bits doing steel and other metals. One of
these days ........... when I don't have anything to do ......... (yeah,
right), I need to gather all my drill bits and sharpen them. I must have
300.

Steve

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Feb 28, 9:49*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

That's pretty much it. *I use brad point bits for woodwork and the DD does
not sharpen them. Nor does it do Forstner bits. *I sharpened a few twist
drills over three years ago and have not had to since. *I doubt I'll spend
more that $20 for twist bits for the rest of my life so I can't justify a
DD. *YMMV.

But it will do split point sharpening.

I have collected 6 sets of drill bits, plus numerous singles, over the
years which probably totals 150+ bits ranging from 1/64th to 1". I
keep a standard set with each drill case and drill something or
another a couple of times a week. I quit using nails years ago and
assemble most all things with screws now, which accounts for much of
the drill use. I thought long & hard about 'justifying' the cost of a
DD, then decided to just indulge myself in one. I've never regretted
the decision.

Red

Bad Drill Bits!!! If you don't have a Darex Drill Doctor, read atyour own risk of failing to understand. spaco Metalworking 7 December 21st 07 12:57 AM
drill doctor Michael Lane Woodworking 10 July 31st 06 08:08 AM
drill doctor ron Woodworking 16 February 26th 06 05:13 PM
Drill Doctor 500 Steve Woodworking 1 January 10th 05 12:14 AM
Drill doctor Ryan Metalworking 2 July 11th 03 11:51 PM