Posted to rec.woodworking

Default drill doctor

Anybody have one or used one?
Did you like it & did it sharpen bits o. k. ?
Did a Google, but would like real life info.

thanks

Michael Lane

" in vino veritas "
Pliny 100 A D

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Lane" wrote in message
Anybody have one or used one?
Did you like it & did it sharpen bits o. k. ?
Did a Google, but would like real life info.

thanks

Michael Lane

" in vino veritas "
Pliny 100 A D

Yup, got one. I've used it several times and have no complaints but one. It
don't do auger bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Lane" wrote in message
Anybody have one or used one?
Did you like it & did it sharpen bits o. k. ?
Did a Google, but would like real life info.

I have had one for about two years and like it. It does a great job of
sharpening standard bits. I have reclaimed a boxful of throw-asides.
Actually, from a practical standpoint, I seldom sharpen bits on a one-by-one
basis. They get set aside and I dedicate an hour or so to bringing them
back to usefulness. That means I sharpen myself into boredom once every
couple of months.

I believe mine is a model 500. It has replacable grinding stones. I have
been told that cheaper ones require factory replacement but cannot verify
this.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've been using one for about 6 months now - I love it. Only takes a
few seconds to sharpen a bit, and what a difference it makes.

I have a low end model - it will only do regular bits. If you use alot
of different bits, look into the higher up models that will do various
bits.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Lane" wrote in message
Anybody have one or used one?
Did you like it & did it sharpen bits o. k. ?
Did a Google, but would like real life info.

thanks

Michael Lane

" in vino veritas "
Pliny 100 A D

I received the DD705X as a gift. As a long-time advocate of learning to
hand sharpening drill bits, I found this tool pleasant to use but too slow
for me. I must confess that I still go to the grinder and touch up the
bits.

I gave it to my brother, who could not hand sharpen a drill bit if his life
depended on it. He thinks its the greatest invention on the planet.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
O D O D is offline

Bought the drill doctor about 5 yrs ago. In a nice hard case with a
video tape to use.
Sharpened all the bits (100 - 200 ) and have not used it again. About
$125 if I remember. Will not do brad point. Figure I can buy a lot of
bits for the same money.
So yes it works, necessary , well guess that depends on your use of the
bits. Don't throw them in a box or drop them and take care of them .
Guess the answer really is .... How bad do you want another toy. Assume
you are not going to make a living with the bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Lane" wrote:

Anybody have one or used one?
Did you like it & did it sharpen bits o. k. ?
Did a Google, but would like real life info.

Once upon a time, I could do a pretty decent job of hand sharpening
drill bits, but it is a use it or lose it skill, and I lost it.

If the majority of your bits that need sharpening are 3/8" or less,
you will be money ahead to just buy replacement drills and forget the
drill doctor.

Buy drill bit sets on sale and forget about it.

Option 2:

Find somebody who can sharpen drills INCLUDING brad points, save up
all your drills that need sharpening until you have a bunch, then take
then along with a cold 12 pack and head to your new friend's place.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Lane" wrote in message
Anybody have one or used one?
Did you like it & did it sharpen bits o. k. ?
Did a Google, but would like real life info.

thanks

Michael Lane

" in vino veritas "
Pliny 100 A D

Learn to sharpen them by hand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I totally agree with this point of view. The Drill Doctor cost several
times the cost of a new box of drill bits. I don't think I'll live
long enough to pay back for this gadget.

If I was making a living using drill bits and I was going through a
box per month, the Drill Doctor would make sense but it's not my case.

Greg D.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:27:38 -0400, (O D) wrote:

Bought the drill doctor about 5 yrs ago. In a nice hard case with a
video tape to use.
Sharpened all the bits (100 - 200 ) and have not used it again. About
$125 if I remember. Will not do brad point. Figure I can buy a lot of
bits for the same money.
So yes it works, necessary , well guess that depends on your use of the
bits. Don't throw them in a box or drop them and take care of them .
Guess the answer really is .... How bad do you want another toy. Assume
you are not going to make a living with the bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" in vino veritas "
Pliny 100 A D

"I'll drink to that !"