Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Rug Doctor

On Apr 16, 9:23*pm, Steve Kraus
wrote:
I'm looking for a cleaning solution pump for an old upright Rug Doctor
carpet & upholstery cleaner, the model EZ-1. *I've got inquires out to Rug
Doctor and a couple of dealers. *I got a junk machine for parts but that
one had a bad pump too and efforts to combine parts failed because the seal
material was just too degraded. *This machine is probably 25 years old.

If all else fails I was thinking of just getting a small self contained
pump and stuffing it in there. *Any suggestions? *The OEM pump is a
centrifugal unit powered by a 120V motor that is labeled 1/11 HP 1.25 A (to
give an idea of the size). *

I assume most pumps won't be too happy if you completely block the output
which is the case here when the pump is running but the cleaning button
(that turns on the spray via a solenoid valve) is not pressed...or one is
using the handtool but not hitting the trigger. *The original pump has a
small recirculation hose probably for that reason. *No regulation; just a
tiny connecting hose output coming off alongside the main output. *I would
probably do something similar. *I wonder if a small fountain pump would be
suitable.

Chunk the old Rug Doctor and either rent one at the grocery store the
next time you need one or buy a rebuilt carpet cleaner at a place like
Big Lot's. I got one for less than $100 with full factory warranty
about 4 years ago.Paid for itself the first time I used it. I spray my
carpets down using a garden sprayer with an OxyClean solution before
cleaning.

Jimmie