Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - saving the environment

One example comes to mind. Flow restrictors on faucets.
Supposing I'm washing the car. I need five gallon bucket,
half full of hot water and soap. If I half-fill the bucket
off unrestricted faucet, it half-fills in about a minute.
And suppose I half-fill the bucket on a sink that's got a
1.5 gallon per minute aerator, on it. It takes much longer
to half-fill the bucket. Now, for 10 bonus points, and one
letter grade increase. How much water was saved by using the
flow restricted faucet, and waiting several minutes to
half-fill the bucket?

And how much extra did that flow restricted faucet cost me,
to install?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

You saved nothing and the aerator came with the trailer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2011 7:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One example comes to mind. Flow restrictors on faucets.
Supposing I'm washing the car. I need five gallon bucket,
half full of hot water and soap. If I half-fill the bucket
off unrestricted faucet, it half-fills in about a minute.
And suppose I half-fill the bucket on a sink that's got a
1.5 gallon per minute aerator, on it. It takes much longer
to half-fill the bucket. Now, for 10 bonus points, and one
letter grade increase. How much water was saved by using the
flow restricted faucet, and waiting several minutes to
half-fill the bucket?

Wrong question. You saved the environment.

And how much extra did that flow restricted faucet cost me,
to install?

About like carbon credits
Ask Al Gore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 07:52:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One example comes to mind. Flow restrictors on faucets. Supposing I'm
washing the car. I need five gallon bucket, half full of hot water and
soap. If I half-fill the bucket off unrestricted faucet, it half-fills
in about a minute. And suppose I half-fill the bucket on a sink that's
got a 1.5 gallon per minute aerator, on it. It takes much longer to
half-fill the bucket. Now, for 10 bonus points, and one letter grade
increase. How much water was saved by using the flow restricted faucet,
and waiting several minutes to half-fill the bucket?

Which half of the bucket are you filling - the bottom, or the top? It
makes a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 7:52*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
One example comes to mind. Flow restrictors on faucets.
Supposing I'm washing the car. I need five gallon bucket,
half full of hot water and soap. If I half-fill the bucket
off unrestricted faucet, it half-fills in about a minute.
And suppose I half-fill the bucket on a sink that's got a
1.5 gallon per minute aerator, on it. It takes much longer
to half-fill the bucket. Now, for 10 bonus points, and one
letter grade increase. How much water was saved by using the
flow restricted faucet, and waiting several minutes to
half-fill the bucket?

And how much extra did that flow restricted faucet cost me,
to install?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

My impression of the environmentalists is that they don't really care
about saving the environment as much as they want to impose
inconvenience, cost and restrictions on the rest of us. If we don't
suffer, we aren't attoning properly for our sins against the earth. In
case you think you haven't sinned against the earth, to them just
being human is enough. Sort of like original sin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The idiocy displayed by the right wingers here constantly amazes me. Are you
clowns REALLY this stupid?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:

My impression of the environmentalists is that they don't really care
about saving the environment as much as they want to impose
inconvenience, cost and restrictions on the rest of us. If we don't
suffer, we aren't attoning properly for our sins against the earth. In
case you think you haven't sinned against the earth, to them just
being human is enough. Sort of like original sin.

You're half right. They do not care about saving the environment. But they
don't necessarily want to bother others either. Don't automatically
attribute to malevolence that which can be explained by silliness.

What they WANT is to BELONG. To a movement. It really doesn't matter whether
the movement is saving the environment, banning the bra, or agitating for
voting rights for chestnuts (as a matter of fact, membership in mass
movements is interchangeable).

People mind their own business when it's worth minding. When it's not, they
take their mind off their own meaningless affairs by minding other people's
business. By subsuming their egos in a popular uprising, their own
self-worth is validated. If a popular goal matters to so many, and those
many matter to a new member, that new member's life suddenly has a purpose.
All he has to do to be accepted by the many is support some nebulous, and
preferably unobtainable, goal.

Fortunately, achieving the ten-thousand friends level on Facebook will keep
them out of our hair for some time. Then, one hopes, they'll begin working
toward the 9th Level (Treachery) of Hell, passing through lust, gluttony,
violence, fraud, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

This is what you have been trained to opine. Your training has been
carried out by high-paid information marketers,hired by our corporate
masters. Our corporate masters want to keep on making money NOW, at
whatever cost to their grandchildren and the rest of humanity.

The environmentalists you are badmouthing are ethical professionals in
their fields. They make a fraction of the income earned by our
corporate masters and their well-paid marketing lackeys. I know you
will have a hard time believing that there are honest people who
really care about humanity, and who prefer to work in an ethical field
rather than make a fortune in the short run by peddling
disinformatiion.

These environmentalists -- to use your generic term -- are not
remotely interested in imposing on your credulous self "inconvenience,
cost and restrictions." What they ARE interested in, is calling
attention to the FACTS of environmental degradation, hoping that at
least some of us will become active in forestalling the destruction of
our environment before it is too late.

Louis V of France centuries ago said it most succinctly. The
philosophy of our corporate masters and their lackeys is: "Apres moi,
le deluge" = "After me, the flood". Basically, I get mine and f**k
you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2011 11:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

My impression of the environmentalists is that they don't really care
about saving the environment as much as they want to impose
inconvenience, cost and restrictions on the rest of us. If we don't
suffer, we aren't attoning properly for our sins against the earth. In
case you think you haven't sinned against the earth, to them just
being human is enough. Sort of like original sin.

You're half right. They do not care about saving the environment. But they
don't necessarily want to bother others either. Don't automatically
attribute to malevolence that which can be explained by silliness.

What they WANT is to BELONG. To a movement.

Oddly, I find the right wing to be the real belongers. They belong to
Churches and Tea Parties and follow their favorite Right Wing Talk Show
hosts. What the far left does is simply more colorful, and seems sillier.

I've been to Pat Buchanan (remember him?) rallies, and to the Tea Party
ones as well. They are rather drab affairs with a lot of flag waving and
singing of patriotic songs at best. The stuff the left does is a lot
more creative. Both extremes are, of course, crazy as loons. It appears
though that the crazies on the right are the ones being heard by their
base. That is not true currently of the left.

It really doesn't matter whether
the movement is saving the environment, banning the bra, or agitating for
voting rights for chestnuts (as a matter of fact, membership in mass
movements is interchangeable).

Probably on the left more so than the right. I agree.

I'm reminded of What Mark Twain said: I belong to no organized political
party, I'm a Democrat. Now, look at how lockstep the Republicans are.

Now, as far as the OP, what outdoor faucet or bathtub has a flow
restricter? I'm not sure about kitchen faucets but my new kitchen faucet
kicks ass. Flow restrictors aren't hard to remove, at any rate. Where I
live water is often my highest utility, so I look for the water saver
stuff.

You know that bathroom sink faucets used to have two spouts. You'd
fill up the basin and wash with that, rather than letting a long stream
of water wash away. We got a little over consumptive over the years. It
may be that where the OP lives there is plenty of water, but for much of
the US it is getting scarcer and more expensive.

YMMV.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

To fill the top half, I'd need electrical water socket by
Levitation.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules Richardson"
wrote in message ...

increase. How much water was saved by using the flow
restricted faucet,
and waiting several minutes to half-fill the bucket?

Which half of the bucket are you filling - the bottom, or
the top? It
makes a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's about the same sense that I get.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pavel314" wrote in message

My impression of the environmentalists is that they don't
really care
about saving the environment as much as they want to impose
inconvenience, cost and restrictions on the rest of us. If
we don't
suffer, we aren't attoning properly for our sins against the
earth. In
case you think you haven't sinned against the earth, to them
just
being human is enough. Sort of like original sin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The derision and arrogance displayed by the left wingers
here constantly amazes me. Are you clowns REALLY this
condescending?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F"
wrote in message ...

The idiocy displayed by the right wingers here constantly
amazes me. Are you
clowns REALLY this stupid?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:08*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The derision and arrogance displayed by the left wingers
here constantly amazes me. Are you clowns REALLY this
condescending?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org

Seems to be an equally arrogant statement on your own there Chris
along with what Bob F said.

To say that environmentalists are just in it to inconvenience others
is a stupid statement. If it's arrogance to point that out then why?

Personally, I've given up on trying to save the environment due to the
arrogance and closed mindedness of the right wingers. It's the same
attitude I face when people find out I'm a prepper. They just close
their mind and see what they want to see.

-C-

.

"Bob F"
wrote in ...

The idiocy displayed by the right wingers here constantly
amazes me. Are you
clowns REALLY this stupid?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 12:52*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
One example comes to mind. Flow restrictors on faucets.
Supposing I'm washing the car. I need five gallon bucket,
half full of hot water and soap. If I half-fill the bucket
off unrestricted faucet, it half-fills in about a minute.
And suppose I half-fill the bucket on a sink that's got a
1.5 gallon per minute aerator, on it. It takes much longer
to half-fill the bucket. Now, for 10 bonus points, and one
letter grade increase. How much water was saved by using the
flow restricted faucet, and waiting several minutes to
half-fill the bucket?

And how much extra did that flow restricted faucet cost me,
to install?

Flow restricted faucets are intended to be fitted hand washing basins
and nowhere else. Eg in bathrooms.
There are then considerable savings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

Agreed. The sense of isolation - and hence the need to join a movement -
exists irrespective of political affiliation. Still, the organizations to
which the right-wingers belong tend to be more personal. They join the NRA
to protect their own gun rights whereas progressives agitate against killing
Mohammadens in Libya.

It really doesn't matter whether
the movement is saving the environment, banning the bra, or
agitating for voting rights for chestnuts (as a matter of fact,
membership in mass movements is interchangeable).

Probably on the left more so than the right. I agree.

I'm reminded of What Mark Twain said: I belong to no organized
political party, I'm a Democrat. Now, look at how lockstep the
Republicans are.

Actually it was said by Will Rogers. But he was right; the Democrats are
more disorganized than the Republicans. The conservatives are made up of
two, generally non-competing, groups: Social conservatives and Economic
conservatives. They can easily cooperate with each other to their collective
benefit.

The Democrats consist of maybe twenty disparate groups: Blacks, unions,
environmentalists, Communists, government workers, welfare recipients,
anti-war protesters, and so on. Often these groups have conflicting goals.
For instance, drilling in ANWAR - the environmentalists are opposed while
union members generally support the idea. Getting them to work together is
like herding cats!

The only technique that seems to work is a free food bowl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Oddly, I find the right wing to be the real belongers. They belong to
Churches and Tea Parties and follow their favorite Right Wing Talk Show
hosts. What the far left does is simply more colorful, and seems sillier.

I don;t really see a difference, other than the organizations. Sierra
Club, ACLU, etc., etc., etc.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The derision and arrogance displayed by the left wingers
here constantly amazes me. Are you clowns REALLY this
condescending?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Seems to be an equally arrogant statement on your own there Chris
along with what Bob F said.

To say that environmentalists are just in it to inconvenience others
is a stupid statement. If it's arrogance to point that out then why?

Personally, I've given up on trying to save the environment due to the
arrogance and closed mindedness of the right wingers. It's the same
attitude I face when people find out I'm a prepper. They just close
their mind and see what they want to see.

-C-

WTF?, "prepper"? Some new soft drink? Darn, now I'm hearing that song
in my head..... I'm a prepper you're a prepper he's a prepper wouldn't
you like to be a prepper too?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 12:34:45 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 07:52:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One example comes to mind. Flow restrictors on faucets. Supposing I'm
washing the car. I need five gallon bucket, half full of hot water and
soap. If I half-fill the bucket off unrestricted faucet, it half-fills
in about a minute. And suppose I half-fill the bucket on a sink that's
got a 1.5 gallon per minute aerator, on it. It takes much longer to
half-fill the bucket. Now, for 10 bonus points, and one letter grade
increase. How much water was saved by using the flow restricted faucet,
and waiting several minutes to half-fill the bucket?

Which half of the bucket are you filling - the bottom, or the top? It
makes a difference.

Sure, everyone can see that the top half is bigger. That's why you always
fill the bottom half first.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Higgs. I'm an environmentalist. I don't actually really want to
make life tougher for the Stormin Moron, and haven't as far as I can
tell. I've never seen a flow restrictor on anything other than a
shower head. It makes sense there, especially since I pay for water.

Actually, SM isn't a moron as far as I can tell. He sometimes makes
sense, but this isn't one of those times. I've bought several faucets
recently and none of them had a flow restrictor. I suspect, as you
pointed out, that he gets so much corporate "news" that he can't tell
reality from Fox anymore.

And, I'm not bashing all corporations - most do a good job providing
services to us, but plenty are multinational concerns (ie, no loyalty
to America) that are perfectly willing to hurt America if it benefits
their bottom line. Somehow the big super-PATRIOTS watching Fox don't
seem to realize this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

"Prepper (noun): An individual or group that prepares or makes
preparations in advance of, or prior to, any change in normal
circumstances or lifestyle without significant reliance on other persons
(i.e., being self-reliant), or without substantial assistance from
outside resources (govt., etc.) in order to minimize the effects of that
change on their current lifestyle."

I know. Whatever.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 2:42*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I belive you're mistaken several times, but it would be a
waste of time to point out where.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yew got something better to do?

-C-

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Saturday, raining, no money work. Not really.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus