Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about grout removal

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout behind
my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need to do it
quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it because it
won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those little hand tools
with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I
need to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of
money on it because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use
one of those little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

harbor freight multitool with the grout attachment

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2011 11:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need
to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it
because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those
little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. Behind a sink may not have room
for the guide...probably two inches wide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
On 4/1/2011 11:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need
to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it
because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those
little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. Behind a sink may not have room
for the guide...probably two inches wide.

TY, I hadn't considered that, there isn't much room there.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 1:51*pm, "Cheri" wrote:
wrote in message

m...

On 4/1/2011 11:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need
to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it
because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those
little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. *Behind a sink may not have room
for the guide...probably two inches wide.

TY, I hadn't considered that, there isn't much room there.

Cheri

Are your plans to regrout? Manually scraping out a small area of
grout is really not that bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Apr 1, 1:51 pm, "Cheri" wrote:
wrote in message

m...

On 4/1/2011 11:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I
need
to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it
because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those
little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. Behind a sink may not have room
for the guide...probably two inches wide.

TY, I hadn't considered that, there isn't much room there.

Cheri

Are your plans to regrout? Manually scraping out a small area of
grout is really not that bad.
========

I am. It's not just behind the sink, it's about 4 feet long due to THE GROUT
DOCTOR S.O.B doing such a lousy job that the seam is really wide and ugly,
he just put new grout over the old grout and totally uneven at that. It's
nasty looking and I just had new trim tile put around the sink, so it's got
to go because it looks twice as bad now.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2011 1:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On 4/1/2011 11:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need
to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it
because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those
little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. Behind a sink may not have room
for the guide...probably two inches wide.

TY, I hadn't considered that, there isn't much room there.

Cheri

I assume that the grout is a joint between tiles. With care, you can
probably scratch out enough of the old grout to make a bed for
replacement grout. Use the saw or a utility knife. Just be sure to
bleach and clean it well, apply sealer after new grout is hard (usually
2-3 days, per package directions).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:09:25 -0400, "
wrote:

On 4/1/2011 1:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On 4/1/2011 11:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need
to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it
because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those
little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. Behind a sink may not have room
for the guide...probably two inches wide.

TY, I hadn't considered that, there isn't much room there.

Cheri

I assume that the grout is a joint between tiles. With care, you can
probably scratch out enough of the old grout to make a bed for

Someone gave me an old inkject printer and it spilled ink on my
bathroom floor and the grout. I used s screwdriver to scrape out the
grout but kept having to go deeper, and eventually made a wweapon as
lethal as any Rambo has used. Fortunately I have plenty of
screwdrivers, so now I call this something else.

Don't know about this guy, but I guess if I'd known how deep the red
ink went, I could have used the special hand tool with the offset
handle for removing grout. Isn't it hardeneed or something?

replacement grout. Use the saw or a utility knife. Just be sure to
bleach and clean it well, apply sealer after new grout is hard (usually
2-3 days, per package directions).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2011 8:49 PM, mm wrote:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:09:25 -0400, "
wrote:

On 4/1/2011 1:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

wrote in message
m...
[...]

I do believe I saw inexpensive grout removal tools at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...saw-45878.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/carbide...per-97176.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2011 9:49 PM, mm wrote:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:09:25 -0400, "
wrote:

On 4/1/2011 1:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

wrote in message
m...
[...]

I would have scraped the surface and touched the stain with paint.
Little bottles of acryllic hobby paint come in very, very handy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 13:49:33 -0400, "
wrote:

On 4/1/2011 11:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need
to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it
because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those
little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. Behind a sink may not have room
for the guide...probably two inches wide.

That works, but it is neither quick nor easy. Not cheap, either. Those bits
are expensive, though you can save 70% by buying them online.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 08:29:51 -0400, "
wrote:

On 4/1/2011 9:49 PM, mm wrote:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:09:25 -0400, "
wrote:

On 4/1/2011 1:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

wrote in message
m...
[...]

That might have been a good idea too. I ended up regrouting with a
grout that doesn't quite match anyhow. Althugh no one will notice but
me.

grout removal Sleepy-Tom Home Repair 3 May 29th 08 10:29 PM
Removal of Tile Perfect Ceramic Tile Adhesive & Grout eganders Home Repair 0 January 27th 08 01:33 PM
Dremmel Grout Removal Kit The Medway Handyman UK diy 18 May 21st 07 10:33 PM
Excess grout removal - stone jo_jo Home Repair 4 April 5th 07 03:46 PM
Grout Removal Stuart Benoff Home Repair 10 February 12th 06 11:03 PM