Posted to alt.home.repair
Stuart Benoff

Default Grout Removal

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from between
tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of there? Is there
a way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

there's a little tool you can get that helps grind it out, it's
laborious. i dunno if a dremel or something would be applicable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from between
tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of there? Is there a
way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

On larger gaps, I've had success with a utility knife.

Might work on the smaller grout lines in a shower.

KB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

A pro told me to use a utility knife. It works ok. The special grout tools
they sell are too thick.

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from between
tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of there? Is there a
way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zzyzx

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from between
tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of there? Is there
a way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

I did mine with a dremel & a few bits. This is where I got the bits from:

http://www.leakyshower.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Stuart Benoff wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from between
tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of there? Is there
a way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

Dremel tool has a special attachment for the purpose. I don't recall
the diameter of the bit, so you would want to make sure it is not too big.

I removed old grout in our shower stall a few months ago using the
Dremel. Worked great. There were a few tiles too close together to
accomodate the bit, so it would jump out but didn't chip any tile.
There had been no leaks, and the wall was solid - just developing a lot
of little pinholes in the grout. Looks like new! I haven't tried a
hand tool - grout saw? - but haven't got a lot of muscle.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

I just did a grout removal in one of the baths in my house. I used a Fein
Multimaster with a diamond disk make especially for grout removal. The disk
vibrates back and forth (doesn't rotate as in a saw blade) and hence kept
the dust to a minimum. This tool worked wonderfully. Wouldn't do another
grout job without it. However, there is one drawback...it's a bit
expensive....I think the Multimaster costs approx. $200.00 and the diamond
disk another $50 or so. Well worth the investment, I think since the
Multimaster does a superb job of sanding also.

Mark

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from between
tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of there? Is there a
way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Stuart Benoff wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from
between tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of
there? Is there a way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

You want to remove it all? Hydrochloric acid. Read up on it before
using.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

dadiOH wrote:
Stuart Benoff wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from
between tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of
there? Is there a way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

You want to remove it all? Hydrochloric acid. Read up on it before
using.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

He just wants to remove some grout, not the tile, nails and plumbing
fixtures )

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from
between tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of
there? Is there a way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

There is a grout saw. It has a short round blade on it. No need to
remove all the gout, an eight inch is enough for the new grout to grab
onto.

Grout Sealant cover Home Ownership 9 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Grout Sealant cover Home Repair 10 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
tile grout options pinya Home Repair 9 February 22nd 05 09:21 PM
Shower tile - verticle seams - caulk or grout? dango Home Repair 3 September 26th 04 11:07 PM
tool for prying old grout out? peter Home Repair 4 March 2nd 04 07:06 AM