Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Question about grout removal

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:09:25 -0400, "
wrote:

On 4/1/2011 1:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On 4/1/2011 11:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout
behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need
to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it
because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those
little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. Behind a sink may not have room
for the guide...probably two inches wide.

TY, I hadn't considered that, there isn't much room there.

Cheri

I assume that the grout is a joint between tiles. With care, you can
probably scratch out enough of the old grout to make a bed for

Someone gave me an old inkject printer and it spilled ink on my
bathroom floor and the grout. I used s screwdriver to scrape out the
grout but kept having to go deeper, and eventually made a wweapon as
lethal as any Rambo has used. Fortunately I have plenty of
screwdrivers, so now I call this something else.

Don't know about this guy, but I guess if I'd known how deep the red
ink went, I could have used the special hand tool with the offset
handle for removing grout. Isn't it hardeneed or something?

replacement grout. Use the saw or a utility knife. Just be sure to
bleach and clean it well, apply sealer after new grout is hard (usually
2-3 days, per package directions).