Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT maneuvering with power

OT

"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!
Posted to alt.home.repair

You need the low geared 4WD to push the other cars out of
your way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message
OT

"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested
cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going
fast!

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
OT

"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!

Hi,
Is the heater good enough to give enough hit in -35F deg. cold winter
with -45F deg wind chill?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 18:10:04 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

mm wrote:
OT

"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!

Hi,
Is the heater good enough to give enough hit in -35F deg. cold winter
with -45F deg wind chill?

I doubt it. But why does wind chill matter if the windows are closed,
and the car isn't sweating?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2011 2:21 PM, mm wrote:
OT

"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!

Do you live in a big congested city? I do.

You need a lot of torque to maneuver around those road clogging SUVs
so you can get the next red light first. Also, city drivers like to
drive fast to discourage rural drivers from visiting.

You don't need a lot of horsepower, but the two tend to go hand in hand.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

Same reason it matters to warm humans, who are
out in the cold wind. The contstant flow of cold
air carries away more BTU.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

Is the heater good enough to give enough hit in -35F deg.
cold winter
with -45F deg wind chill?

I doubt it. But why does wind chill matter if
the windows are closed, and the car isn't
sweating?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 2:21*pm, mm wrote:
OT *

"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!

I gather you are referring to the SCION, a brand of Toyota. The Scion
XD is highly maneuverable, quick and efficient. It sips fuel, the
heater works nicely at sub-zero temps and the air conditioner keeps me
cool at ninty-five.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:
OT

"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!

Hi,
Is the heater good enough to give enough hit in -35F deg. cold winter
with -45F deg wind chill?

I doubt it. But why does wind chill matter if the windows are closed,
and the car isn't sweating?

First,about the car sweating, I used to think they figured humidity and
evaporative cooling in wind chill, but it's not that sophisticated.
I've looked at many wind chill calculators but none that I found ever
factor air humidity or moisture content on the person.

I just found this definition of wind chill.

A wind chill temperature is a calculation of how cold it would have to
be to cause the same rate of heat loss from your skin if there were no
wind blowing. Same goes for cars instead of skin.

I would like to see a *real* wind chill calculator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote the following:
OT

"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

What city? Miami - flat, San Fransisco - hilly.
I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!

....or going uphill.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:19:16 -0400, Tony Miklos
wrote:

I would like to see a *real* wind chill calculator.

Why?
You a weatherman?
You can find a lot by googling "Joint Action Group for Temperature
Indices."
Looks like they don't include humidity. Probably because at the low
temperatures where wind chill is important there's not much moisture
in the air. More important in the heat index.
The whole damn wind chill index is mostly for TV weathermen
to scare people.
I can see using it to warn people when it's dangerously cold, but
sometimes they overdo it.
Sometimes I'll glance at the TV when the weather is on and see -10
all over the map when it's +20 outside.
Most people know you get cold faster when the wind is blowing.
Same with cars. Most people know your car will stay warmer longer
in an unheated garage instead of out in the wind.
Even putting the backside to the wind helps.
Though wind chill formulas only apply to human skin, it's all heat
transfer and can be applied to most anything.
I saw they use 95% percentile lowest skin conductivity in figuring
wind chill.
So most people will conduct more heat to the skin surface and not
freeze so fast as wind chills might indicate.
So if you want a real wind chill calculator you have to know your skin
conductivity too.
Do you want to do all that?

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to see a *real* wind chill calculator.

Why?
You a weatherman?
You can find a lot by googling "Joint Action Group for Temperature
Indices."
Looks like they don't include humidity. Probably because at the low
temperatures where wind chill is important there's not much moisture
in the air.

I think you got that backwards. With low humidity in the air the
evaporative cooling effect is much higher. It also is much higher when
there is more moisture on the person, or object.

[...]

Of course not, I want it done for me!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2011 12:59 PM, willshak wrote:
mm wrote the following:
OT
"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

What city? Miami - flat, San Fransisco - hilly.
I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!

...or going uphill.

I know of a street in Bethlehem, PA that is so steep that the sidewalk
is actually concrete stairs, and at the top is a stop sign. A little
tricky with a manual transmission.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2011 8:45 PM, mm wrote:

mm wrote the following:
OT
"Sion, giving you the power to maneuver today's congested cities"

How much power does one need in congested cities!

What city? Miami - flat, San Fransisco - hilly.
I thought power was for pulling a boat, a trailer, or going fast!

...or going uphill.

I know of a street in Bethlehem, PA that is so steep that the sidewalk
is actually concrete stairs, and at the top is a stop sign. A little
tricky with a manual transmission.

Interesting.

I was driving around Bethlehem, Pa. and I wanted to take that big
bridge (the hill-to-hill bridge?) because it was a big bridge and I
had to go that way to get home, but because of maybe a 1-way street I
couldn't go straight to it, so I drove around for 5 minutes and
finally got to it and across it, and I was right back on the side I
started on. Apparently I had gone over the Lehigh River when I wasn't
looking.

LOL There is a much lower concrete bridge not too far away, you
probably went over that one. Up and around a police station and past
some giant steel sculptures?