Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT maneuvering with power

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:19:16 -0400, Tony Miklos
wrote:

I would like to see a *real* wind chill calculator.

Why?
You a weatherman?
You can find a lot by googling "Joint Action Group for Temperature
Indices."
Looks like they don't include humidity. Probably because at the low
temperatures where wind chill is important there's not much moisture
in the air. More important in the heat index.
The whole damn wind chill index is mostly for TV weathermen
to scare people.
I can see using it to warn people when it's dangerously cold, but
sometimes they overdo it.
Sometimes I'll glance at the TV when the weather is on and see -10
all over the map when it's +20 outside.
Most people know you get cold faster when the wind is blowing.
Same with cars. Most people know your car will stay warmer longer
in an unheated garage instead of out in the wind.
Even putting the backside to the wind helps.
Though wind chill formulas only apply to human skin, it's all heat
transfer and can be applied to most anything.
I saw they use 95% percentile lowest skin conductivity in figuring
wind chill.
So most people will conduct more heat to the skin surface and not
freeze so fast as wind chills might indicate.
So if you want a real wind chill calculator you have to know your skin
conductivity too.
Do you want to do all that?

--Vic