Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default PEX sillcock hard to find?

I'm going to replace a burst pipe feeding a sillcock (outdoor faucet) with a
PEX pipe, and also replace the sillcock with one that has a PEX connector.

Surprisingly, the local homedepot doesn't have such thing as a sillcock with
PEX connector. I can get a sillcock with a 3/4 inch female screw connector,
plus a 3/4 male screw-to-PEX adapter, but I much prefer a one-piece solution
to reduce chances of leaks.

So I look online and search for "sillcock PEX". There are many hits, but all
of the product photos show the connectors to be non PEX. Here's one example:
http://www.amazon.com/Frost-Free-Sil.../dp/B003QSLFTS
I don't want to order and then find out it is indeed non PEX connector and
have to return it.

I also found this:
http://www.arrowheadbrass.com/op_cha.../127/0/0/0/0/0
It has the right product photo, but I've never heard of this company and am
unsure about its reliability.

Suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2011 12:44 PM, bob wrote:

Suggestions?

http://www.menards.com/main/search.h...Items&cid=1307
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote

I also found this:
http://www.arrowheadbrass.com/op_cha.../127/0/0/0/0/0
It has the right product photo, but I've never heard of this company and
am unsure about its reliability.

Suggestions?

Order it. They have been around longer than me. I've seen plenty of their
stuff over the years and used to use lots of it where I worked in the
1960's. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

I also found this:http://www.arrowheadbrass.com/op_cha.../catalog_prese...
It has the right product photo, but I've never heard of this company and am
unsure about its reliability.

Suggestions?

Are you really worried that one threaded connection is going to leak?
Even if you are wary of it and take 'extra special precautions'?

You're worrying about something so small as to be indistinguishable
from nothing. If you had said that you wanted an all-PEX solution I
wouldn't say boo, but you said you're worrying about leaks. I don't
see that one connection is enough of a worry to warrant special
ordering something or paying a price premium.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

You're worrying about something so small as to be indistinguishable
from nothing. If you had said that you wanted an all-PEX solution I
wouldn't say boo, but you said you're worrying about leaks. I don't
see that one connection is enough of a worry to warrant special
ordering something or paying a price premium.

Furthermore, crimping PEX directly to the valve means you can't ever replace the
valve in the future should it be become corroded, frozen or leaking. Sounds dumb
to me - I would use the standard PEX-Female adapter.