Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rewiring for DSL

I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of
old phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks,
one for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and
what kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what
the connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't
believe I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into
some kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look online for some network wiring tips.

From the outside phone box you can run cat 5 or 6 into a central
location in the house. You can bring in both DSL and voice if you
want. It depends a bit on how the telco wires it.

Then you can run a line from the central location to your jack of
choice.

If you already have phone wires running around -- you may be able to
use them, but the better choice would be to use cat 5 or 6. You might
be able to use the old phone wiring for voice and just run new wiring
for DSL. Telcos are different though. Some run DSL over the same
voice pairs, some put DSL on a dedicated pair.

I'm not sure how Vonage works, but my guess is you need the telco DSL
model between Vonage and your wiring.

The simpliest would be to find out if your DSL is over the same voice
pair or a different pair. If different -- then just run from the
outside box to your inside jack. DSL will be to that one jack only
then. If DSL and voice are over the same pair, it's best to run that
pair on cat 5, the split out in a central location and run the DSL
line over cat 5 to your jack from that central location. You use a
punch down block at the central location to split out the wires -- the
one from the box to each of the different jacks (voice and/or dsl).

This is probably confusing -- but it sort of depends on what the telco
does and what you want. If you want all home runs and DSL at every
jack, that's a different beast than getting DSL to one jack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of old
phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks, one
for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and what
kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what the
connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't believe
I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into some
kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

Having a direct run from the phone box on the outside to the DSL jack is
highly preferred. Old wiring was often daisy chained and provides a lot of
places for noise.

When I rewired an old house I pulled cat 5 to every jack. It is fine for
phones. Phones only need 2 wires and the color does not matter. With modern
equipment the polarity does not matter either. With old phones it did
matter. Chance are I am one of the few people with a phone old enough to
matter.

Cat 5 adds a layer of shielding that common phone wire does not have. Think
of it as an aluminum foil condom.

The telco box may be punch down or screw connect. You are legally allowed
to connect the wires to the "customer side" of the box.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:30:55 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry to have to dissagree with you, but neither cat5 or cat5E has a
foil sheild - and nor does cat 6 to the best of my knowlege. The
difference between them is basically in the number of twists per foot
in the twisted pairs.

Twisted pairs provide "common mode" noise rejection.
Splitting pairs looses that advantage, so colour code DOES matter.
The telco box may be punch down or screw connect. You are legally allowed
to connect the wires to the "customer side" of the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of
old phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks,
one for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and what
kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what the
connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't
believe I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into
some kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

When I installed DSL, I did this.
In the box outside, there's a rj11 plug that can be undone
for the service guy to test the line.
I unplugged it and inserted a DSL filter in between.
Now, the house wiring is isolated for DSL and works per usual
without having to install filters everywhere.
Then I ran a separate wire from the line side of the filter
to the separate RJ11 jacks for the computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jeff wrote in message
[...]

Foil shielded twisted pair cable is available. Usually the only time you
see it is when someone doesn't appreciate how well twisted pairs and the
differential line drivers and receivers of Ethernet hardware reject
common mode noise.

Twisted pairs provide "common mode" noise rejection.
Splitting pairs looses that advantage, so colour code DOES matter.
The telco box may be punch down or screw connect. You are legally allowed
to connect the wires to the "customer side" of the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of
old phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks,
one for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and what
kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what the
connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't
believe I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into
some kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

Cat3 cable works great. Plain ol' telephone service wire might be
OK if it's a short enough run but your throughput will probably
suffer. Can you just disconnect the old wires at the entrance box
and abandon them in place? You said this is a rental, and the next
guy may want to use the old wires and jacks...

You could also put a DSL filter in entrance box to isolate all the
old wiring and continue using it for telephone, and just have one
new unfiltered line for your DSL modem. (one cheap $2 filter is good
enough, you don't need the $30+ splitter)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:18:33 -0700, mike wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

That is pretty clever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:36:15 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of
old phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks,
one for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and
what kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what
the connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't
believe I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into
some kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

I would just wait and see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2011 9:36 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of old
phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks, one
for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and what
kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what the
connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't
believe I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into
some kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

You must check with your telephone company to make sure the box on the
outside wall is compatible with DSL, there is usually a picture on their
website showing which NID/demarcation box will work. The DSL filter I
use on all installations is a weather proof heavy duty filter made by
several manufacturers and I run a separate line to the DSL modem from
the filter which I mount outside next to the phone company NID.

http://superphonestore.net/se-649a1.html

The big filter has superior performance and also has fuses to protect
the indoor equipment. It's cheaper to replace the filter than to replace
a half dozen phone devices. If you can solder you can replace the fuses.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jeff wrote in message
[...]

Didn't say it wasn't available, but it ain't Cat5!
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It's tagged as such.

there is usually a picture on their
website showing which NID/demarcation box will work. The DSL filter I
use on all installations is a weather proof heavy duty filter made by
several manufacturers and I run a separate line to the DSL modem from
the filter which I mount outside next to the phone company NID.

Telco has been out twice and are coming out again tomorrow.

There is only DSL so I disconnected all but the line to the jack the
modem is on. I don't need a filter on the DSL line do I? Only thing in
line now is some kind of old lightning suppressor, which I cleaned up
the connections to.

http://superphonestore.net/se-649a1.html

The big filter has superior performance and also has fuses to protect
the indoor equipment. It's cheaper to replace the filter than to replace
a half dozen phone devices. If you can solder you can replace the fuses.

I'll look into that.

I'm thinking the problem is somewhere upstream to the DSLAM but I want
to make sure my end is OK. I remember when AT&T didn't suck.

Jeff

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2011 8:49 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

Oh man, I think I posted a while back about the problems I had
straightening out my friend GB's DSL service. I spent hours on
the phone and three AT&T DSL techs came out to his home within
a few weeks and all three found a different problem. I finally
went through my DSL modem collection and found a ZOOM DSL modem
router with 4 port switch that worked on his line. The ZOOM is
a better modem than the Westell or Netopia and seems to be able
to work through the line noise. The Zoom has worked without a
glitch since I set it up weeks ago. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2011 10:36 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of old
phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks, one
for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and what
kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what the
connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't
believe I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into
some kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

When I got DSL they gave me a bunch of filters for each phone to
eliminate interference between the DSL and phones. I took one single
filter and ran the phone wire from the box, through the filter, then to
all the phones in the house. Then ran a separate line from the telco
box straight to the computer. I was later told that is the preferred
method and the computer line was called a "home run". I used cat 5.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Hmm, I think it is the Westell I had in my free collection that is in
the rental. A Netopia here, and that lately has been losing sync at
times. I'll hunt out a ZOOM if this persists. There is about 30' of old
line running over ducts and such which I've moved out of direct contact.
How do those line testers work and can you get them cheap?

Jeff

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2011 6:57 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

If you're just testing pairs that are hooked up 568B, a $10.00 tester
will check the pairs for continuity and/or shorts. To certify the cable,
the test equipment can cost $600.00 to $6,000.00 and you can
get a printout for your records. I have a Byte Brothers RWC1000 which
I got a good deal on from one of my electronics suppliers. I often
do national contract installations and testing of networks and gear so
I have to upload test results on cable speed, skew, frequency response
and length. If you have a good piece of Cat5 and don't pinch it or bend
it at a sharp 90° angle, it should work fine.

http://www.bytebrothers.com/bb_teste...0Certifier.htm

The Zoom modem I used:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6f7mldo

The Zoom doesn't use IP 192.168.X.X it is usually IP 10.0.0.2 to access
the configuration menu. The Zoom has a lot of parameters that you can
set for all sorts of things including a very good firewall.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My 3rd-party DSL provider (on 2nd dry pair) told me they'd TOS me if I
plugged up any other modem but theirs, and the mac address (or whatever)
didn't match. Guess they wanna ensure the rental income from the modem,
even though they subtract out the modem cost every month due to the
program I signed up under. I keep seeing very fancy DSL modems for five
bucks at garage sales and goodwill, etc.

I sure wish Ma Bell would bring their DSL out this far. Twice the speed
for same price, or half the price for the same speed. I know it would
work- my provider's head end is next door to the CO downtown, and rides
Ma Bell wires. But I'm a quarter-mile outside their QOS circle, and they
aren't putting any more money into copper DSL anyway, wanting everyone
to sign up for expen$ive Uverse. (Which they decided not to run down my
road anyway, from the big road, even though they ran it the other
direction from the big road, to the fancy subdivisions. But I digress....)

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2011 9:47 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:13:31 -0400,
wrote:

wrote:

"Jeff wrote in message
[...]

Sure it is. Same cable but with a foil shield:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=303&sku=27432

Here is a shot of how the drain wire gets connected:

http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=1485

Note the metal tab on the side of the plug. The connector has a metal
shell and the tab contacts it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2011 5:12 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

My friend had his original BellSouth supplied Westell modem for 9 years.
I don't think AT&T gives a rip if he has installed another modem. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 18:35:46 -0400, George
wrote:

On 3/20/2011 9:47 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:13:31 -0400,
wrote:

wrote:

"Jeff wrote in message
[...]

What I MEANT was the sheild is NOT part of the Cat 5 spec. Or the
Cat5E.

It is over and above the spec.
In other words, just because a cable does NOT have the shield does
NOT meen it is not Cat5.

Accident rewiring Andrew Gabriel UK diy 3 April 20th 08 04:34 PM
? on rewiring lamp. J.Lef Home Repair 18 January 22nd 08 03:09 AM
When is rewiring necessary? Geoff Berrow UK diy 30 August 1st 07 05:08 PM
Rewiring john walker UK diy 8 January 28th 07 07:51 PM
rewiring old house.. Dark1 Home Repair 4 July 30th 06 07:30 AM