Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default rewiring for DSL

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:18:33 -0700, mike wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of
old phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks,
one for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and what
kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what the
connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't
believe I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into
some kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

When I installed DSL, I did this.
In the box outside, there's a rj11 plug that can be undone
for the service guy to test the line.
I unplugged it and inserted a DSL filter in between.
Now, the house wiring is isolated for DSL and works per usual
without having to install filters everywhere.
Then I ran a separate wire from the line side of the filter
to the separate RJ11 jacks for the computer.

That is pretty clever.