Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rewiring for DSL

On 3/21/2011 6:57 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 3/20/2011 8:49 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 3/20/2011 9:36 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of
old
phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks,
one
for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and what
kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what the
connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't
believe I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into
some kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd
prefer.

Jeff

You must check with your telephone company to make sure the box on the
outside wall is compatible with DSL,

It's tagged as such.

there is usually a picture on their
website showing which NID/demarcation box will work. The DSL filter I
use on all installations is a weather proof heavy duty filter made by
several manufacturers and I run a separate line to the DSL modem from
the filter which I mount outside next to the phone company NID.

Telco has been out twice and are coming out again tomorrow.

There is only DSL so I disconnected all but the line to the jack the
modem is on. I don't need a filter on the DSL line do I? Only thing in
line now is some kind of old lightning suppressor, which I cleaned up
the connections to.

http://superphonestore.net/se-649a1.html

The big filter has superior performance and also has fuses to protect
the indoor equipment. It's cheaper to replace the filter than to
replace
a half dozen phone devices. If you can solder you can replace the
fuses.

I'll look into that.

I'm thinking the problem is somewhere upstream to the DSLAM but I want
to make sure my end is OK. I remember when AT&T didn't suck.

Jeff

Oh man, I think I posted a while back about the problems I had
straightening out my friend GB's DSL service. I spent hours on
the phone and three AT&T DSL techs came out to his home within
a few weeks and all three found a different problem. I finally
went through my DSL modem collection and found a ZOOM DSL modem
router with 4 port switch that worked on his line. The ZOOM is
a better modem than the Westell or Netopia and seems to be able
to work through the line noise. The Zoom has worked without a
glitch since I set it up weeks ago. :-)

Hmm, I think it is the Westell I had in my free collection that is in
the rental. A Netopia here, and that lately has been losing sync at
times. I'll hunt out a ZOOM if this persists. There is about 30' of old
line running over ducts and such which I've moved out of direct contact.
How do those line testers work and can you get them cheap?

Jeff

If you're just testing pairs that are hooked up 568B, a $10.00 tester
will check the pairs for continuity and/or shorts. To certify the cable,
the test equipment can cost $600.00 to $6,000.00 and you can
get a printout for your records. I have a Byte Brothers RWC1000 which
I got a good deal on from one of my electronics suppliers. I often
do national contract installations and testing of networks and gear so
I have to upload test results on cable speed, skew, frequency response
and length. If you have a good piece of Cat5 and don't pinch it or bend
it at a sharp 90° angle, it should work fine.

http://www.bytebrothers.com/bb_teste...0Certifier.htm

The Zoom modem I used:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6f7mldo

The Zoom doesn't use IP 192.168.X.X it is usually IP 10.0.0.2 to access
the configuration menu. The Zoom has a lot of parameters that you can
set for all sorts of things including a very good firewall.

TDD