Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rewiring for DSL

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 18:35:46 -0400, George
wrote:

On 3/20/2011 9:47 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:13:31 -0400,
wrote:

On 3/20/2011 12:57 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:30:55 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Jeff wrote in message
I'd like to rewire the rental's phone lines for DSL. It's a mess of old
phone wire running pretty much everywhere. I'll need just two jacks, one
for the DSL modem and one for a Vonage connection.

Is the old phone wiring capable of DSL? Should I run new wire and what
kind? My first impulse was to run cat5 or 6 but I don't know what the
connection to the phone jack would be from that. That and I don't believe
I have any!

I believe the Telco entrance box has a phone jack that can plug into some
kind of punch down also in the box.

Just need some background info before I go off hunting for this.
Probably heading to Fry's or some such. Quick and easy is what I'd prefer.

Jeff

Having a direct run from the phone box on the outside to the DSL jack is
highly preferred. Old wiring was often daisy chained and provides a lot of
places for noise.

When I rewired an old house I pulled cat 5 to every jack. It is fine for
phones. Phones only need 2 wires and the color does not matter. With modern
equipment the polarity does not matter either. With old phones it did
matter. Chance are I am one of the few people with a phone old enough to
matter.

Cat 5 adds a layer of shielding that common phone wire does not have. Think
of it as an aluminum foil condom.

Sorry to have to dissagree with you, but neither cat5 or cat5E has a
foil sheild - and nor does cat 6 to the best of my knowlege. The
difference between them is basically in the number of twists per foot
in the twisted pairs.

Foil shielded twisted pair cable is available. Usually the only time you
see it is when someone doesn't appreciate how well twisted pairs and the
differential line drivers and receivers of Ethernet hardware reject
common mode noise.

Twisted pairs provide "common mode" noise rejection.
Splitting pairs looses that advantage, so colour code DOES matter.
The telco box may be punch down or screw connect. You are legally allowed
to connect the wires to the "customer side" of the box.

Didn't say it wasn't available, but it ain't Cat5!

Sure it is. Same cable but with a foil shield:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=303&sku=27432

Here is a shot of how the drain wire gets connected:

http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=1485

Note the metal tab on the side of the plug. The connector has a metal
shell and the tab contacts it.

What I MEANT was the sheild is NOT part of the Cat 5 spec. Or the
Cat5E.

It is over and above the spec.
In other words, just because a cable does NOT have the shield does
NOT meen it is not Cat5.