Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default bathroom demo- remodel for old 50 year old home- insulation question

hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On Mar 17, 5:01*pm, KOS wrote:
hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks

one more important thing.... The shower lies against the outside
wall.. the tub does not
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 5:01*pm, KOS wrote:
hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks

outer walls and any wall conneting to a area thats not heated or
colled must be insulated.

on a small job your better off to do all walls, spray foam at R 7 per
inch is best.

while the walls are open be certain to upgrade all the wiring,
espically if you have knob and tube
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:01:02 -0700 (PDT), KOS
wrote:

hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks

You will want to insulate exterior walls (meaning the other side of
the wall is the outside of the house) for sure, with a proper vapor
barrier. Interior walls it's your choice. Regular insulation will
help a little with blocking sound, but not a whole lot.

HTH,

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

wrote:
hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks

You will want to insulate exterior walls (meaning the other side of
the wall is the outside of the house) for sure, with a proper vapor
barrier. *Interior walls it's your choice. *Regular insulation will
help a little with blocking sound, ll HTH,

Paul

i did notice some old insulation on the exterior walls..this is 50
years old.. should i remove that and install new one? i imagine so .
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:
hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks

You will want to insulate exterior walls (meaning the other side of
the wall is the outside of the house) for sure, with a proper vapor
barrier. Interior walls it's your choice. Regular insulation will
help a little with blocking sound, ll HTH,

Paul

i did notice some old insulation on the exterior walls..this is 50
years old.. should i remove that and install new one? i imagine so .
thanks

Yeah, pull it out, it will be about R2 or less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 4:23*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 17, 5:01*pm, KOS wrote:

hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks

outer walls and any wall conneting to a area thats not heated or
colled must be insulated.

on a small job your better off to do all walls, spray foam at R 7 per
inch is best.

while the walls are open be certain to upgrade all the wiring,
espically if you have knob and tube

I don't know where you live, but knob and tube wiring has been
obsolete in most parts of the United States since well before 1950.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks

You will want to insulate exterior walls (meaning the other side of
the wall is the outside of the house) for sure, with a proper vapor
barrier. Interior walls it's your choice. Regular insulation will
help a little with blocking sound, ll HTH,

Paul

i did notice some old insulation on the exterior walls..this is 50
years old.. should i remove that and install new one? i imagine so .
thanks

Yeah, pull it out, it will be about R2 or less.

That, and this is in the category of 'as long as you have it open
anyway', may as well get the chance to inspect the studs and sheathing
from the back side, looking for any signs of water intrusion, mold,
termites, etc. For the 6-8 feet of wall, the cost of the insulation is
trivial. I'd insulate all the walls around the tub and shower (and under
them) just to reduce cold butt syndrome if nothing else. Shower or tub
water heats up the exposed surface pretty quickly, and if wall is
insulated it stays a lot warmer against your bare butt as you move about.

You mentioned shower is against outside wall? Make sure the outside wall
isn't the one with pipes in it, and if your design isn't locked in, try
to back the wet wall up against a closet or something where you can put
an access hatch for the plumbing. Same for the tub faucet.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathroom demo- remodel for old 50 year old home- insulationque...

What outside temps do you get???

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 12:17*am, "
wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:32:58 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

On Mar 17, 5:01 pm, KOS wrote:

hi, i am demoing my bathroom in my 50 year old house... do I need to
insulate the walls before the sheetrock goes in? or is this just for
sound? thanks

outer walls and any wall conneting to a area thats not heated or
colled must be insulated.

on a small job your better off to do all walls, spray foam at R 7 per
inch is best.

while the walls are open be certain to upgrade all the wiring,
espically if you have knob and tube

I don't know where you live, but knob and tube wiring has been
obsolete in most parts of the United States since well before 1950.

Just because it's obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't exist.- Hide quoted text -

He measn that it was not used in new construction 50 years ago. So if
the house is the age the op states then there isnot going to be any
knob and tube wiring in it. More likely the bath is not own it's own
circuit or is not on a 20amp circuit. Which a lot of inspectors can
require if you touch the wiring at all. But if the walls are stripped
not would be the time to add a dedcicated 20 amp circuit with gfci
protected outlets.