Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default new bathroom remodel- marble question either polished or honed onwall or floor or both

Hi
I am going to have a new bathroom remodeled and will have marble on
both the walls and floors.. I would like some feedback regarding
having honed on the floor and then polished on the walls? is this a
common way to do it? thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 4:26*pm, KOS wrote:

Hi
I am going to have a new bathroom remodeled and will have marble on
both the walls and floors.. I would *like some feedback regarding
having honed on the floor and then polished on the walls? is this a
common way to do it? thanks

Honed stone has a texture and is less slippery, so it's a better
choice for the floor. With either choice, sealing marble in a
bathroom is good practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 3:26*pm, KOS wrote:
Hi
I am going to have a new bathroom remodeled and will have marble on
both the walls and floors.. I would *like some feedback regarding
having honed on the floor and then polished on the walls? is this a
common way to do it? thanks

Why would you remodel a brand-new bathroom?
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On Feb 19, 8:10*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 18, 3:26*pm, KOS wrote:

Hi
I am going to have a new bathroom remodeled and will have marble on
both the walls and floors.. I would *like some feedback regarding
having honed on the floor and then polished on the walls? is this a
common way to do it? thanks

Why would you remodel a brand-new bathroom?

semantic correction will be remodeling an old bathroom..... No one
has answered the question-----how will it look having honed on floor
and glossy on walls??????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 5:57*pm, KOS wrote:
On Feb 19, 8:10*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Feb 18, 3:26*pm, KOS wrote:

Hi
I am going to have a new bathroom remodeled and will have marble on
both the walls and floors.. I would *like some feedback regarding
having honed on the floor and then polished on the walls? is this a
common way to do it? thanks

Why would you remodel a brand-new bathroom?

semantic correction *will be remodeling an old bathroom..... No one
has answered the question-----how will it look having honed on floor
and glossy on walls??????

You didn't ask how it would look. You asked if it was a common way to
do it. I replied yes.

Safety trumps looks in bathrooms unless you're trying to get rid of
the wife.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 5:57 PM, KOS wrote:
On Feb 19, 8:10 am, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Feb 18, 3:26 pm, wrote:

Hi
I am going to have a new bathroom remodeled and will have marble on
both the walls and floors.. I would like some feedback regarding
having honed on the floor and then polished on the walls? is this a
common way to do it? thanks

Why would you remodel a brand-new bathroom?

semantic correction will be remodeling an old bathroom..... No one
has answered the question-----how will it look having honed on floor
and glossy on walls??????

As long as floor has some sheen to it, it will look fine. I stayed in a
hotel once that had polished on the floor- looked impressive as hell,
but deadly after stepping out of shower. The little bath mat they
provided did little to help, since it wanted to slide too. I learned to
hang on to something as I was getting out, and sit on tub edge to dry my
feet. I had some choice words for management as I was checking out, that
they at least needed non-skid bath mats versus the tiny washable ones
that most hotels use these days. All I got in response was a glassy
look. I bet that changed once somebody rich enough to afford a lawyer
got hurt and sued them.

Not a fan of marble in bathrooms- it is soft, and unless you keep it
sealed, porous. I've been in more than one older public building over
the years, where they actually PAINTED the marble stall dividers, since
they could not clean off the graffiti and other stains. The marble in
the lobby of the 1928 wing of my office has obvious staining where
people lean against it waiting for elevators, and wherever people touch
it as they go around corners or press buttons or flip switches. It has
been patched in with faux finish here and there where they did
modifications, since apparently nobody could find where it came from, or
didn't want to try tracking down the quarry, to get more. Lots of chips
on corners, down low, where janitor and delivery carts bang into it. So
if your heart is set on marble, get some spares, and box them up
carefully, and stash them in the basement where they won't get broken.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On Feb 20, 2:13*am, aemeijers wrote:
On 2/19/2011 5:57 PM, KOS wrote:

On Feb 19, 8:10 am, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Feb 18, 3:26 pm, *wrote:

[...]

as you are not a fan of marble for bathrooms, what is your preference
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2011 11:37 AM, KOS wrote:
On Feb 20, 2:13 am, wrote:
On 2/19/2011 5:57 PM, KOS wrote:

On Feb 19, 8:10 am, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Feb 18, 3:26 pm, wrote:

[...]

Well, at my low point on the food chain, ceramic tile or solid-surface
on wet walls, and some sort of slip-resistant tile for floor, preferably
with color all the way through, so any chips from things that get
dropped won't show. (Being a bachelor, I'm quite happy with vinyl
floors- no grout to keep cleaning and sealing.)

If cost was no object, granite or something similar, with some sort of
factory seal that doesn't have to be maintained. Of course, if I could
afford fancy walls like that, I could also afford a maid.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:37:07 -0800 (PST), KOS
wrote:

On Feb 20, 2:13*am, aemeijers wrote:
On 2/19/2011 5:57 PM, KOS wrote:

On Feb 19, 8:10 am, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Feb 18, 3:26 pm, *wrote:

[...]

If you insist on stone, granite is a much better choice. For the floor,
though, tile is superior. You can get it as shiny or as non-skid as you want
and if done properly it'll last just short of forever.