grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default polished concrete floor

We are considering to have the cement floor in our finished basement
done with a color acid stain and polish (then use some area rugs in
couch areas). They even have stamps that can duplicate the texture of
slate or tile. My question is, What is the approximate price range
(per sqft) to get this done. We'd most likely just want a deep
brown/terricota stain and strong polish done to the floor (texture is
not necessary). I know very little about this floor type, but it looks
real nice and seems to need very little maintenance. Are there are
gotchas? The cement down now (basic basement cement slab), is in great
condition (flat, no cracks, etc). In the off case that water gets in
basement (broken pipe, etc...) does this hold up, I assume it would).
Thanks

Charles Spitzer

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are considering to have the cement floor in our finished basement
done with a color acid stain and polish (then use some area rugs in
couch areas). They even have stamps that can duplicate the texture of
slate or tile. My question is, What is the approximate price range
(per sqft) to get this done. We'd most likely just want a deep
brown/terricota stain and strong polish done to the floor (texture is
not necessary). I know very little about this floor type, but it looks
real nice and seems to need very little maintenance. Are there are
gotchas? The cement down now (basic basement cement slab), is in great
condition (flat, no cracks, etc). In the off case that water gets in
basement (broken pipe, etc...) does this hold up, I assume it would).
Thanks

about the same price as laying a good quality of tile. it's different in all
areas of the country. try using your yellow pages and asking for a couple of
quotes.

MC

Charles Spitzer wrote:
[...]

I did my front porch, about 50x8 feet.

Was much cheaper than tile although had to go a ways to find a place to
sell the acid stain and sealer.

Holds up well outside, wash it off all the time.

There is a difference from what is called concrete stain and acid stain,
make sure you know which you want.

Standard stains go on like paint, solid color.
Acid stain is an acid that interacts with the minerals in the concrete
to turn a color. The acid stain will produce a varying result in
shading, many times can get a really cool marbling effect.

For any possible contact with water and outdoor use use solvent based
sealer but it is not recommended for indoor use, not sure if can if
ventilated well until cured, would have to check on that.

Going to put in a concrete patio soon and use the stain again.
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Yeah I was hoping to go for an acid stain. I don't want the floor to
simply look like painted (or in this case stained) over concrete. I
like the color "texture" that results form the acid stain. I did get a
single quote so far, $8 and up a sqft. which would bring the cost of
doing my basement to $6000, WAY more than we want to spend on flooring
for a finished basement. For comparison, we could get standard/basic
carpet down for about $1200. What did you use as a search for a
company to do this? There appears to be very few companies that do
this work. Thanks!

MC

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
Yeah I was hoping to go for an acid stain. I don't want the floor to
simply look like painted (or in this case stained) over concrete. I
like the color "texture" that results form the acid stain. I did get a
single quote so far, $8 and up a sqft. which would bring the cost of
doing my basement to $6000, WAY more than we want to spend on flooring
for a finished basement. For comparison, we could get standard/basic
carpet down for about $1200. What did you use as a search for a
company to do this? There appears to be very few companies that do
this work. Thanks!

The one I used was from Kemiko

www.kemiko.com

Should be able to fins a dealer on the site.
Also they have intructions on using the products and can see many
examples on the site.

MC