Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mark s

Default building sun patio, concrete or wood floor?

Trying to design a sun patio for a home addition (do it yourself).

If I used concrete for the floor, it would be an elevated slab -
however, I am afraid that the winter cold will transfer through the
concrete floor, and basically make the sunroom too difficult to heat
in the winter. Is this thought correct?

Would a wood floor w/ insulation be the better choice?

thanks. Mark

Tony Hwang

mark s wrote:
Trying to design a sun patio for a home addition (do it yourself).

If I used concrete for the floor, it would be an elevated slab -
however, I am afraid that the winter cold will transfer through the
concrete floor, and basically make the sunroom too difficult to heat
in the winter. Is this thought correct?

Would a wood floor w/ insulation be the better choice?

thanks. Mark

Hi,
I converted a wooden deck into 4 season sunroom. I installed laminated
foam core on top of deck and installed skirting, insulated roof, double
pane windows, door. Installed Carrier 25000 BTU Heat exchanger(for
cooling in summer and heating in winter).
I live in Southern Alberta.
Tony
default

Tony Hwang wrote:

mark s wrote:
Trying to design a sun patio for a home addition (do it yourself).

If I used concrete for the floor, it would be an elevated slab -
however, I am afraid that the winter cold will transfer through the
concrete floor, and basically make the sunroom too difficult to heat
in the winter. Is this thought correct?

If you excavate for the slab, and put down 2-4" of urethane foam
UNDER the slab, then it will be isolated from the ground, and
just act as thermal mass, which will make the sunroom more
comfortable, not less. (assuming that you keep the thing heated)
I don't know what they do at the edges of the slab, but maybe someone
else does. Failing a better idea, I'd pour the wall-footings as
a separate peice, with 1/2" of foam between them and the floating slab.

--Goedn

Edwin Pawlowski

"mark s" wrote in message
Trying to design a sun patio for a home addition (do it yourself).

If I used concrete for the floor, it would be an elevated slab -
however,

Would a wood floor w/ insulation be the better choice?

2" of foam insulation under the concrete. Good insulation, no rot.