Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning polished marble

Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and granite
cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller. This has
had little or no effect. Any ideas please?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

You could pour undiluted household bleach on the affected area and leaving
it for a few hours. It's possible that whatever caused the stain may have
penetrated into the marble so you may have to allow the bleach time to work.

As an alternative to household bleach, get some sodium metabisulphite, mix
it into a paste and use this instead. This is also a bleaching agent and is
used in winemaking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

grind and cut back and repolish, and if you must use marble, lacquer it
with a yacht varnish or something.

Its only calcium carbonate. Its porous and dissolves under any acid attack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and granite
cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller. This has
had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

grind and cut back and repolish, and if you must use marble, lacquer it
with a yacht varnish or something.

Its only calcium carbonate. Its porous and dissolves under any acid
attack.

In that case, my suggestion of sodium metabisulphite won't be a good idea as
that is slightly acidic. Domestic bleach will be ok as that's alkaline.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2010 10:28, Mr Benn wrote:
"The Natural wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and granite
cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller. This has
had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

grind and cut back and repolish, and if you must use marble, lacquer it
with a yacht varnish or something.

Its only calcium carbonate. Its porous and dissolves under any acid
attack.

In that case, my suggestion of sodium metabisulphite won't be a good idea as
that is slightly acidic. Domestic bleach will be ok as that's alkaline.

Surely if some of the marble has been dissolved by acid, no amount of
bleach is going to undissolve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace
base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite
cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller. This
has
had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

grind and cut back and repolish, and if you must use marble, lacquer it
with a yacht varnish or something.

Its only calcium carbonate. Its porous and dissolves under any acid
attack.

In that case, my suggestion of sodium metabisulphite won't be a good idea
as
that is slightly acidic. Domestic bleach will be ok as that's alkaline.

Surely if some of the marble has been dissolved by acid, no amount of
bleach is going to undissolve it.

Bleach works by chemically reacting with the stain to form a colourless
substance. It doesn't remove anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace
base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite
cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller. This
has
had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

grind and cut back and repolish, and if you must use marble, lacquer it
with a yacht varnish or something.

Its only calcium carbonate. Its porous and dissolves under any acid
attack.

In that case, my suggestion of sodium metabisulphite won't be a good
idea as
that is slightly acidic. Domestic bleach will be ok as that's alkaline.

Surely if some of the marble has been dissolved by acid, no amount of
bleach is going to undissolve it.

no, but it might oxidise any colouration.

T-cut will polish it back, but its hard work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Benn" wrote in message

Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

grind and cut back and repolish, and if you must use marble, lacquer it
with a yacht varnish or something.

Its only calcium carbonate. Its porous and dissolves under any acid
attack.

In that case, my suggestion of sodium metabisulphite won't be a good idea
as that is slightly acidic. Domestic bleach will be ok as that's
alkaline.

"Chlorine bleach, as used in household cleaning, is mainly composed of
sodium hypochlorite."

Which AFAIK breaks down to give a weak Hydrochloric Acid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Mr Benn" wrote in message

Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace
base leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

grind and cut back and repolish, and if you must use marble, lacquer it
with a yacht varnish or something.

Its only calcium carbonate. Its porous and dissolves under any acid
attack.

In that case, my suggestion of sodium metabisulphite won't be a good idea
as that is slightly acidic. Domestic bleach will be ok as that's
alkaline.

"Chlorine bleach, as used in household cleaning, is mainly composed of
sodium hypochlorite."

Which AFAIK breaks down to give a weak Hydrochloric Acid.

In solution with water, sodium hypochlorite is alkaline.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jan, 13:11, "Mr Benn" wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in ...

"Mr Benn" wrote in message

Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace
base leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

grind and cut back and repolish, and if you must use marble, lacquer it
with a yacht varnish or something.

Its only calcium carbonate. Its porous and dissolves under any acid
attack.

In that case, my suggestion of sodium metabisulphite won't be a good idea
as that is slightly acidic. *Domestic bleach will be ok as that's
alkaline.

"Chlorine bleach, as used in household cleaning, is mainly composed of
sodium hypochlorite."

Which AFAIK breaks down to give a weak Hydrochloric Acid.

In solution with water, sodium hypochlorite is alkaline.

And domestic bleach also contains sodium hydroxide which makes it much
more alkaline.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:44:00 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

What was likely to have been on the base of the cups/glasses?
Anything acid, even weakly so, for a hour or two is going to have
attacked the marble itself. If the objects were the hot, is it a heat
mark in any polish layer and the marble itself is OK.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

Angle grinder?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

Angle grinder?

Pressure washer!

(this is 2010, you know!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace
base leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble
and granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace
seller. This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?

Angle grinder?

Pressure washer!

(this is 2010, you know!)

Franks one of the old school :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 19, 2:44*am, Broadback wrote:
Guests have place glasses and cups on our polished marble fireplace base
leaving marks. We have tried cleaning it with Astonish marble and
granite cleaner and polish, as recommended by a local fireplace seller.
This has had little or no effect. Any ideas please?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

On dark Granite I use bleach all the time for stains, but what caused
your stain? Is it rough then maybe some gritty polish might work Maybe
dab a bit of bleach and see what happens, but if it was yesterday time
may dry it out.