Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

Default Cleaning SIlicone from cultured marble

Recently had bathroom remodelled. The contractor was asked (politely)
to remove the "gunk" around the sink drain collar. He used his finger
nail to scrape the surface of the drain collar, which had a lacquer
finish. The (silicon) gunk remians.

When replacing that drain collar I will also want to remove the
silicon used as a sealant from the sink baisn where teh drain collar
sits. Any suggestions for a solvent for this purpose ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vince wrote:
Recently had bathroom remodelled. The contractor was asked (politely)
to remove the "gunk" around the sink drain collar. He used his finger
nail to scrape the surface of the drain collar, which had a lacquer
finish. The (silicon) gunk remians.

When replacing that drain collar I will also want to remove the
silicon used as a sealant from the sink baisn where teh drain collar
sits. Any suggestions for a solvent for this purpose ?

Just try rubbing it off. If you want, you can spray some Windex on it
to see if it makes removal easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Vince wrote:
Recently had bathroom remodelled. The contractor was asked (politely)
to remove the "gunk" around the sink drain collar. He used his finger
nail to scrape the surface of the drain collar, which had a lacquer
finish. The (silicon) gunk remians.

When replacing that drain collar I will also want to remove the
silicon used as a sealant from the sink baisn where teh drain collar
sits. Any suggestions for a solvent for this purpose ?

The silicone hasn't bonded deep into the cultured marble, it's sitting
on the surface. Solvents may do more harm than good. I'd use my
finger nail and finish up with a rough towel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Vince writes:

Any suggestions for a solvent for this purpose ?

Old credit cards. You can ct 'em to reach difficult crevices.

Nothing common is going to dissolve silicone caulk.

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Cultured marble walls above fiberglass Jacuzzi bathtub Jag Man Home Repair 3 December 29th 04 09:44 AM
Cleaning / polishing marble Kevin Dressel Home Ownership 1 September 18th 04 06:37 AM
Marble Floor Grout Cleaning Randy Collord Home Repair 0 May 1st 04 03:17 PM