Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT (???) - I guess...well, it's wood. Maybe on topic. I dunno really.

Beginnings of a giant sequoia.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slides...76cc7abb04 d/

to this

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2uo78n9.jpg

I find it captivating considering there are live sequoias around today
that were around long before Jesus has said to walk the planet.

I don't really have a Bucket List but visit Sequoia National Park/Giant
Forest and the like would probably top it. Hmmm, maybe I do have one.
[note: I'm not a tree hugger]

"Some human reactions to natural experiences are universal. The smile
elicited by seeing a new born child; the fear roused by suddenly
confronting a large predatory animal; or the absolute amazement and
wonder evoked when first seeing a Sierra redwood tree. It is the immense
size of these plants that both initially summons those emotions and is
most often the strongest memory. ..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slides...80/urn_publici...

to this

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2uo78n9.jpg

I find it captivating considering there are live sequoias around today
that were around long before Jesus has said to walk the planet.

I don't really have a Bucket List but visit Sequoia National Park/Giant
Forest and the like would probably top it. Hmmm, maybe I do have one.
* *[note: I'm not a tree hugger]

There's nothing to be ashamed about if you hug a tree...as long as you
keep your pants on while you're doing it.

"Some human reactions to natural experiences are universal. The smile
elicited by seeing a new born child; the fear roused by suddenly
confronting a large predatory animal; or the absolute amazement and
wonder evoked when first seeing a Sierra redwood tree. It is the immense
size of these plants that both initially summons those emotions and is
most often the strongest memory. ..."

Babes in the woods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristlecone_pine

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/14/2011 3:05 PM, Red Green wrote:

I don't really have a Bucket List but visit Sequoia National Park/Giant
Forest and the like would probably top it. Hmmm, maybe I do have one.
[note: I'm not a tree hugger]

"Some human reactions to natural experiences are universal. The smile
elicited by seeing a new born child; the fear roused by suddenly
confronting a large predatory animal; or the absolute amazement and
wonder evoked when first seeing a Sierra redwood tree. It is the immense
size of these plants that both initially summons those emotions and is
most often the strongest memory. ..."

Indeed...

Last time was a Muir Woods was during a weekday and a bus load of junior
high kids unloaded in the parking lot a few minutes after we arrived.
Typical kids of that age, noisy and showing off between each other and
how disinterested could be to the adults as well and just well, you know...

Lined 'em up and headed 'em into the woods and wasn't even 2 minutes
before couldn't hear a peep...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 1:13*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Yes, those majestic trees are awesome

But for real longevity, the Bristlecone Pines have them beat. Some of
these trees are said to go back 4000+ years. They are small and
"stunted" because they survive in an arid climate swept by strong
winds. Several articles on line about "Bristlecone Pines",
including:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristlecone_pine

We used to camp up there with the Sierra Club years ago. Hope they
are being protected against the morons who would destroy something
that precious.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 2:08*pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:05:28 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

I don't really have a Bucket List but visit Sequoia National Park/Giant
Forest and the like would probably top it. Hmmm, maybe I do have one.

A fascinating place to visit. One tree has a road through it for cars
to pass. Another photo showed a Calvary unit

I do hope you meant "cavalry unit" I didn't notice anybody hanging
on crosses last time I was up there...

HB

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 2:30*pm, dpb wrote:
[...]

Constantly misused. "Uninterested" is what you want. Actually should
be "uninterestING".

No charge... g

could be to the adults as well and just well, you know...

Lined 'em up and headed 'em into the woods and wasn't even 2 minutes
before couldn't hear a peep... *

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:310tn6h66jcdbsttgqll796hqguhlual3g@
4ax.com:

wrote:

I don't really have a Bucket List but visit Sequoia National Park/Giant
Forest and the like would probably top it. Hmmm, maybe I do have one.

A fascinating place to visit. One tree has a road through it for cars
to pass.

As a child in my single digit years, I remember that photo. It was in a
Viewmaster disk. Rember those?

Another photo showed a Calvary unit - soldiers and horses
standing on a felled tree.

General Grant Tree:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Grant_(tree)

General Lee Tree:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Lee_(tree)

General Sherman Tree:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Sherman_(tree)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2011 6:31 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm. disinterested meaning 2. Having or feeling no interest in
something.

How would it be used in that context? I was never great in English
class, I was disinterested. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in
:

--

About 10 years ago I went to a job presentation from Raytheon Polar
Services. It was to work at the NSF science station at the South Pole.

They say that same silence of awe happens when they open the door and you
see nothing but crystal clear flat white and sky. Sometimes described as
like being on another planet. They showed a slide of it which was quite
impressive in itself but of course no comparison to a live view as with
so many things.

The presentation was fascinating...from a 70° room. Never pursued.

As they need everything from cooks to PhD's, we were told skills are not
the limiter for employment. It's the psych test that weeds people out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 6:28*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Thank you for replying to my post by reposting the link I posted. I
hope that helps clear things up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Mar 14, 4:05*pm, Red Green wrote:
Beginnings of a giant sequoia.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slides...80/urn_publici.
..

I wonder if they would get ****ed if you ran behind one and took a dump.

"Some human reactions to natural experiences are universal. The smile
elicited by seeing a new born child; the fear roused by suddenly
confronting a large predatory animal; or the absolute amazement and
wonder evoked when first seeing a Sierra redwood tree. It is the
immense size of these plants that both initially summons those
emotions and is most often the strongest memory. ..."

Babes in the woods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristlecone_pine

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

I find it captivating considering there are live sequoias around today
that were around long before Jesus has said to walk the planet.

Lots of things have been around since before Jesus: Prostitution, taxes,
and, um, olive oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 2:30 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Sigh. It's a little hard to convey in a friendly exchange, but the
more "elegant/correct" primary use IS "uninterested". The "...dis..."
prefix conveys a feeling of detachment, whereas the "...un..." prefix
is more directly associated with the object/person/idea in question.

In the example you cite, you might have been both "un" and "dis".

Many sites available to research this better than I have explained
it. Use keywords like [difference between "un" and "dis"] (w/o the "
").

Ex: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-...en-un-and-dis/

Pacem in terris...

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 4:20*pm, Red Green wrote:
dpb wrote :

[...]

As a card-carrying Polar freak, I tried hard, years ago, to get one
of those jobs, anything from sweeping floors to washing dishes, but it
developed that those jobs generally go to folks who have a track
record of working down there, and who recommend their friends. It's a
tight community.

I was SO disappointed! Had to settle for a long voyage on a small
ship with an Australian crew. Glorious, but not like actually BEING
where Amundsen set up the black tent with the note inside for Scott.
(Of course the mag.Pole has drifted a lot since 1911!)

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

Sigh. It's a little hard to convey in a friendly exchange

No it isn't. It's dead simple to convey. You're just being contemptuous.

A "disinterested" party is one who doesn't stand to gain by taking sides
in a dispute. Often used in legal context. Often followed by the phrase
"third party": disinterested third party.

An "uninterested" person is one who doesn't give a rat's ass about the
topic at hand.

Think about a mediator: Very interested, completely disinterested.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:

I find it captivating considering there are live sequoias around today
that were around long before Jesus has said to walk the planet.

Lots of things have been around since before Jesus: Prostitution, taxes,
and, um, olive oil.

olive oil.

I froze here at the screen for a good two minutes while I absorbed that :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 8:57*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

Sigh. *It's a little hard to convey in a friendly exchange

No it isn't. It's dead simple to convey. You're just being contemptuous.

I think that's really, really RUDE! I honestly couldn't come up with
as good an analysis as you have below. That doesn't make ME
"contemptuous" but you sure come on patronizing. Oh well, despite
this unpleasantness, I have learned something, which this information
sponge always values, so thanks... I guess...

HB

A "disinterested" party is one who doesn't stand to gain by taking sides
in a dispute. Often used in legal context. Often followed by the phrase
"third party": disinterested third party.

An "uninterested" person is one who doesn't give a rat's ass about the
topic at hand.

Think about a mediator: Very interested, completely disinterested.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2011 4:05 PM, Red Green wrote:
Beginnings of a giant sequoia.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slides...76cc7abb04 d/

to this

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2uo78n9.jpg

I find it captivating considering there are live sequoias around today
that were around long before Jesus has said to walk the planet.

I don't really have a Bucket List but visit Sequoia National Park/Giant
Forest and the like would probably top it. Hmmm, maybe I do have one.
[note: I'm not a tree hugger]

Neat! Thanks for the link. I'm on the east coast of the US and last
summer I had the opportunity to see the giant redwood forest in SF CA.
Breath taking to think about how long those trees have been around.