Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sorta On Topic - Removing Smell From Wood

I'm no woodworker per say... I've got enough trouble trying to cut a 2X4 to
length... But I know where to go to have tough questions answered so...

I've got a doorway with hard oak flooring running up to it and a pine door
frame. My tenant's cat ****ed (technical term) all over the doorway and
floor. We removed the rug near the door and exposed the Oak. We did our
best to clean it and then we installed a plywood floor and ceramic tile
(blasphemy here, I know...)

However, no matter what I've tried, I can't get the urine smell out of the
pine and the little bit of oak that is still showing... Even with the
windows open, the smell is pretty strong.

Any ideas?

I'm about to bring in a professional cleaning company to work on it...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 8:59 am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
[...]

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

Have you tried using an enzyme-based cleaner? When we were
housetraining our puppy a year or so ago we used a product called
Nature's Miracle. It supposedly kills everything associated with the
urine. It's a clear liquid, so you might be able to wet a paper towel
with it and let it just sit on the affected areas and soak in.

I've never used it in this manner (our oak floors were sealed with
poly fairly recently, so we didn't have to worry about anything
soaking into the wood), but if I were looking at a $700 repair/
refurbish bill, I'd take a shot at the $15 solution first. :-)

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have you tried using an enzyme-based cleaner? When we were
housetraining our puppy a year or so ago we used a product called
Nature's Miracle. It supposedly kills everything associated with the
urine. It's a clear liquid, so you might be able to wet a paper towel
with it and let it just sit on the affected areas and soak in.

I've never used it in this manner (our oak floors were sealed with
poly fairly recently, so we didn't have to worry about anything
soaking into the wood), but if I were looking at a $700 repair/
refurbish bill, I'd take a shot at the $15 solution first. :-)

I just shot an order off to my wife to pick this product up... Someone else
just gave me a good review of it at the same time so it must work.

Thank you.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in

Have you tried using an enzyme-based cleaner? When we were
housetraining our puppy a year or so ago we used a product called
Nature's Miracle. It supposedly kills everything associated with the
urine. It's a clear liquid, so you might be able to wet a paper towel
with it and let it just sit on the affected areas and soak in.

I've never used it in this manner (our oak floors were sealed with
poly fairly recently, so we didn't have to worry about anything
soaking into the wood), but if I were looking at a $700 repair/
refurbish bill, I'd take a shot at the $15 solution first. :-)

I just shot an order off to my wife to pick this product up...
Someone else just gave me a good review of it at the same time so it
must work.

The sooner you get this done, the better. Time is not your friend.

We had a problem with this in the house we bought. Ended up tearing out
subfloor down to the dirt, and replacing everything. The parts that
couldn't get removed, without tearing down the exterior walls, got sealed
with leftover varnish poured on. Took ten days to clear the air and
replace the subfloor. Sealed the subfloor with BIN Zinsser before the new
carpets went down. Pain in the backside...

The enzyme blend was essentially useless, but it was a place to start.

Good luck!

Patriarch