Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default OT (???) - I guess...well, it's wood. Maybe on topic. I dunno really.

On Mar 14, 4:19*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 3/14/2011 6:31 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Mar 14, 2:30 pm, *wrote:
On 3/14/2011 3:05 PM, Red Green wrote:

I don't really have a Bucket List but visit Sequoia National Park/Giant
Forest and the like would probably top it. Hmmm, maybe I do have one.
* * *[note: I'm not a tree hugger]

"Some human reactions to natural experiences are universal. The smile
elicited by seeing a new born child; the fear roused by suddenly
confronting a large predatory animal; or the absolute amazement and
wonder evoked when first seeing a Sierra redwood tree. It is the immense
size of these plants that both initially summons those emotions and is
most often the strongest memory. ..."

Indeed...

Last time was a Muir Woods was during a weekday and a bus load of junior
high kids unloaded in the parking lot a few minutes after we arrived.
Typical kids of that age, noisy and showing off between each other and
how disinterested

Constantly misused. *"Uninterested" is what you want. *Actually should
be "uninterestING".

No charge...g

Hmmmm. *disinterested meaning *2. Having or feeling no interest in
something.

How would it be used in that context? *I was never great in English
class, I was disinterested. *;-)

Sigh. It's a little hard to convey in a friendly exchange, but the
more "elegant/correct" primary use IS "uninterested". The "...dis..."
prefix conveys a feeling of detachment, whereas the "...un..." prefix
is more directly associated with the object/person/idea in question.

In the example you cite, you might have been both "un" and "dis".

Many sites available to research this better than I have explained
it. Use keywords like [difference between "un" and "dis"] (w/o the "
").

Ex: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-...en-un-and-dis/

Pacem in terris...

HB