Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting stainless steel hose clamps

I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in message
I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!

Try Krylon Plastic Spray cans. (after cleaning good) I have found it to
stick to all things I have tried. Give it plenty of cure time before
handling. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 10:47*am, dilbert firestorm
wrote:
I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? *they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

Whatever paint you decide on rough up the surface a bit so there's
some tooth for the paint to grab. Sandpaper or steel wool will work,
or acid etch the stainless with heated ferric chloride if you want to
take the trouble to get all the nooks and crannies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:47:27 -0500, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

They are stainless. So they don't want the paint to stain them.
Would you?

That doesn't mean you can't paint them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2011 6:47 AM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

Other suggestions here are good (basically get as clean as possible
w/solvent, then spray with either lacquer or oil-based spray paint). I
would only add that you might try baking them after painting (somewhere
in the 150-200 degree range) to toughen up the paint coat. Won't help it
to stick, but should make it more resistant to chipping.

Maybe try baking just one and see if it's worth it.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2011 5:24 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/14/2011 6:47 AM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

Other suggestions here are good (basically get as clean as possible
w/solvent, then spray with either lacquer or oil-based spray paint). I
would only add that you might try baking them after painting (somewhere
in the 150-200 degree range) to toughen up the paint coat. Won't help it
to stick, but should make it more resistant to chipping.

Maybe try baking just one and see if it's worth it.

in a regular cooking oven?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2011 5:24 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/14/2011 6:47 AM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

Other suggestions here are good (basically get as clean as possible
w/solvent, then spray with either lacquer or oil-based spray paint). I
would only add that you might try baking them after painting (somewhere
in the 150-200 degree range) to toughen up the paint coat. Won't help it
to stick, but should make it more resistant to chipping.

Maybe try baking just one and see if it's worth it.

oil based spray paint, any suggestion on that one.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

They are stainless. So they don't want the paint to stain them.
Would you?

That doesn't mean you can't paint them.

I'm not sure what your point is....

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:57:24 -0500, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

On 3/16/2011 5:24 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/14/2011 6:47 AM dilbert firestorm spake thus:

I have some stainless steel hose clamps that I brought from Lowes.

I'd like to paint them black as part of my project.

any recommendations on this? they are apparently treated a bit
differently than zinc based metals.

Other suggestions here are good (basically get as clean as possible
w/solvent, then spray with either lacquer or oil-based spray paint). I
would only add that you might try baking them after painting (somewhere
in the 150-200 degree range) to toughen up the paint coat. Won't help it
to stick, but should make it more resistant to chipping.

Maybe try baking just one and see if it's worth it.

in a regular cooking oven?

Painting hoses clamps - excuse me - doesn't sound like a good idea.
The slots will chip, the screw slot or hex will chip, and maybe the
strap will chip when it's bent.
Gonna look real ugly.
Maybe after they're on you could tape and spray then.
Or just brush some paint on.
It's a hose clamp, nobody cares if it real pretty.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

I agree. Doesn't matter what you do, paint is not going to stick
wortha crap and it's going to get all chipped off when the hose clamp
is loosened and tightened.

PEX - Using hose clamps [email protected] Home Repair 34 May 11th 21 09:31 PM
Stainless braided hose suppliers mark Metalworking 5 September 30th 09 11:00 PM
Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts spaco Metalworking 15 April 12th 06 06:02 PM
Stainless hose Simon Barr UK diy 2 February 18th 05 08:57 AM
Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel DIY Novice UK diy 7 August 24th 04 06:44 PM