Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any opinon on empire carpet?

just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2011 7:27 PM, bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Like most home improvement companies (carpet, siding, windows, etc) that
rely heavily on advertising, flyers, and cold calls, they are primarily
in the business of lending money. The actual product is just to get you
into the tent. Expect a high-pressure pitch or assumption that you will
be making monthly payments.

Not saying they might not have a good price, but I would definitely get
bids from local independents as well.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bpuharic" wrote in message
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

I just don't trust people that market they way they do. I'd rather deal
with a local outfit and local installer.

I'm getting rid of carpet in my house, room by room and going to engineered
hardwood. Cleaner, healthier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:27*pm, bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

I had them out to give a bid, I got a local Carpet and Floor guy to
use the same product for 1/3 of their rip off price, so they lie. They
are not a good deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:27*pm, bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Those tv adds are not free

Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Carpet is so last century. Go for install-it-yourself laminate. It's
cheaper, cleaner, wears longer, doesn't stain, doesn't accumulate debris and
odors, and looks better to most people.

If you have to have something fuzzy on your feet in the mornings, furry
slippers with rabbit ears can be had for less than ten bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

I just don't trust people that market they way they do.

Oh, come on! Doesn't everyone buy carpet based on a phone number? 588-2300!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:26:29 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:27:08 -0500, bpuharic wrote:

just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Carpet, pad and install ought to be quoted by the square yard.

That can be misleading. They will quote a lower price per yard and
then find that you need more yards than other companies would say if
you called them.

You need to know the price per yard, the number of yards, and the
total.

(I don't know if any carptes have "grain" that would require more
carpeting if the grain is to match and less if it doesn't.

And OP save your scraps for patches.

How big are these rooms? @ $825.00 per room this must be special
carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

(I don't know if any carptes have "grain" that would require more
carpeting if the grain is to match and less if it doesn't.

There is another term for it, but yes, there is a "grain" and it should all
run the same way. A good carpet guy will know the best layout and may piece
a hallway, for instance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:27:08 -0500, bpuharic wrote:

just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Don't know, but I got a question about a car I'm looking at.
Guy wants $3700 for a 4-cylinder with working A/C.
The 4 tires look good. Don't know about the spare.
What do you think?

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2011 11:08 PM, HeyBub wrote:
bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Carpet is so last century. Go for install-it-yourself laminate. It's
cheaper, cleaner, wears longer, doesn't stain, doesn't accumulate debris and
odors, and looks better to most people.

If you have to have something fuzzy on your feet in the mornings, furry
slippers with rabbit ears can be had for less than ten bucks.

Laminate sucks. If this is a pre-1975 house, there is a good chance
there is hardwood under there. Usually it can be cleaned up and or
refinished. If this is a newer house with particle board or something
down there, at least go for a laminate with a real wood top layer. That
printed woodgrain is SO tacky.

All IMHO, of course. YMMV.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Carpet is so last century. Go for install-it-yourself laminate. It's
cheaper, cleaner, wears longer, doesn't stain, doesn't accumulate
debris and odors, and looks better to most people.

If you have to have something fuzzy on your feet in the mornings,
furry slippers with rabbit ears can be had for less than ten bucks.

Laminate sucks. If this is a pre-1975 house, there is a good chance
there is hardwood under there. Usually it can be cleaned up and or
refinished. If this is a newer house with particle board or something
down there, at least go for a laminate with a real wood top layer.
That printed woodgrain is SO tacky.

All IMHO, of course. YMMV.

Of course, but I was touting laminate as an alternative to carpeting. Of
course if the owner is thinking of springing for $3500, he could get his
hardwood floors refinished or lay down real-wood laminate as you suggest. If
he only wants to spend, say, $400, then the laminate I recommended is the
best choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 05:58:32 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:27:08 -0500, bpuharic wrote:

just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Don't know, but I got a question about a car I'm looking at.
Guy wants $3700 for a 4-cylinder with working A/C.
The 4 tires look good. Don't know about the spare.
What do you think?

That's 925 a cylinder, right?

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:21:36 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:03:19 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote

(I don't know if any carptes have "grain" that would require more
carpeting if the grain is to match and less if it doesn't.

There is another term for it, but yes, there is a "grain" and it should all
run the same way. A good carpet guy will know the best layout and may piece
a hallway, for instance.

Couple terms come to mind: nap, pile and pattern distance.

Aha. I can inagine a real cheapo place saving a yard or two by
putting it down with these things not matching. And I can imagine
some, esp. young customers not figuring out what the problem is for
months or years.

Contract should say how many yards, and I guess specify that they nap,
pile and pattern match. Do conracts from good companies say that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2011 8:38 PM Robert Neville spake thus:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

I just don't trust people that market they way they do.

Oh, come on! Doesn't everyone buy carpet based on a phone number? 588-2300!

"Eight-hundred five-eight-eight two-three-hundred, Empire".

Oh, gawd; been watching too much ****ing TV ...

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds about like the deal I got with bamboo flooring. Goes down as
easy as that cheap laminate stuff.

Jimmie

-------------

We came very very close to buying bamboo but the thing that stopped us was
that two heavy big dogs with their claws may dig into it too much. Just
felt that oak was harder to ding and easier to refinish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:21:36 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:03:19 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote

(I don't know if any carptes have "grain" that would require more
carpeting if the grain is to match and less if it doesn't.

There is another term for it, but yes, there is a "grain" and it
should all run the same way. A good carpet guy will know the best
layout and may piece a hallway, for instance.

Couple terms come to mind: nap, pile and pattern distance.

Aha. I can inagine a real cheapo place saving a yard or two by
putting it down with these things not matching. And I can imagine
some, esp. young customers not figuring out what the problem is for
months or years.

Contract should say how many yards, and I guess specify that they nap,
pile and pattern match. Do conracts from good companies say that?

....and location of all seams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:26:29 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:27:08 -0500, bpuharic wrote:

just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Carpet, pad and install ought to be quoted by the square yard.

How big are these rooms? @ $825.00 per room this must be special
carpet.

cost came out to 28 per sq yd. i cancelled today after visiting lowe's
and seeing a better carpet with heavier padding for less money
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:36:03 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
.. .
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

I just don't trust people that market they way they do. I'd rather deal
with a local outfit and local installer.

I'm getting rid of carpet in my house, room by room and going to engineered
hardwood. Cleaner, healthier.

yeah cancelled after looking at what lowe's was offering. better
carpet at cheaper price...just have to wait for installer to give me
install price
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:59:35 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Mar 10, 6:27*pm, bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

I had them out to give a bid, I got a local Carpet and Floor guy to
use the same product for 1/3 of their rip off price, so they lie. They
are not a good deal.

lowe's good stock carpet was heavier and lower cost with better pad
than empire's so i cancelled today

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:08:04 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Carpet is so last century. Go for install-it-yourself laminate. It's
cheaper, cleaner, wears longer, doesn't stain, doesn't accumulate debris and
odors, and looks better to most people.

got that in the kitchen and it works well but want carpet for living
and bedrooms

If you have to have something fuzzy on your feet in the mornings, furry
slippers with rabbit ears can be had for less than ten bucks.

got 2 poodles, too...they do well

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 3/10/2011 4:27 PM, bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

That's very expensive.

Last time I bought carpet it was round $22 a square yard, 6 pound pad,
installed, for nylon. Polyester was less, and the discount carpet at
Lowe's and Home Depot was always polyester.

I bought it from an independent dealer in San Francisco. But another
place I checked, for the same carpet, was close to that in price. Since
carpet has a huge mark-up there are often smaller dealers that sell at a
big discount.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Carpet is so last century. Go for install-it-yourself laminate. It's
cheaper, cleaner, wears longer, doesn't stain, doesn't accumulate debris and
odors, and looks better to most people.

But carpet is better acoustically. If you have a room that is too
³live² carpeting is the best way to quiet it down.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Weil wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

bpuharic wrote:
just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound
padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Carpet is so last century. Go for install-it-yourself laminate. It's
cheaper, cleaner, wears longer, doesn't stain, doesn't accumulate
debris and odors, and looks better to most people.

But carpet is better acoustically. If you have a room that is too
³live² carpeting is the best way to quiet it down.

Right. You can carpet the walls.

Don't laugh, we did that to a computer room in a new building. Made the room
almost bearable so we could swap stories about the carpet installers
observations as they tried to install the stuff vertically.

And before you ask, it was a lovely, pale-blue, shag.

As to your original proposition, you can "tune" the room with throw rugs.

INFO - Seneca Falls Empire Scroll Saw J T Woodworking 1 October 6th 06 11:16 AM
Call Empire Today Cheezits Home Repair 0 July 1st 06 12:41 AM
We interrupt this Empire .... Moo Metalworking 1 May 6th 05 06:40 PM
Opinon on Record Clamps? Hank Gillette Woodworking 1 December 14th 04 04:23 PM
Empire LP gas stove valve removal Mark G. Meyers Home Ownership 6 December 2nd 04 09:42 PM