Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Mark G. Meyers

Default Empire LP gas stove valve removal

I have discovered that after replacing the thermocouple has been tried, that
the valve itself on this unit must be changed. It's a 19 year old Empire
RH-340-3V5. There's a place nearby that has a generic valve that will
replace this one, they say, and it's not too expensive to consider.

So, I'm trying to save a few bucks, and at least remove the old valve to
take it down to the parts/service place. I'm at the point where there is
just the manifold pipe still in the valve unit - everything else is
disconnected. I don't know where I'm supposed to disconnect it. Does the
pipe come off the valve altogether? Is there a screw on the valve body for
this?

Or do I try to take the whole manifold pipe off?

I have tried to crank the valve around with my hands, but the pipe is in
there pretty good, so they didn't budge. The pipe is just threaded on that
end, into the valve body. There is a what looks like a bolt or pin nearby
the entrypoint of the pipe on the valve labelled "PRESS TAP".

TIA -
Mark

Speedy Jim

Mark G. Meyers wrote:

[...]

Should unscrew, but you'll need something like a small pipe wrench,
not just hand power. "Press Tap" is a pipe plug; removal allows
installation of a pressure gauge. This has nothing to do with
unthreading from the manifold.

Jim
Mark G. Meyers

Hi Speedy Jim.

I got it off, by taking the pipe off, and then got the valve off of the
pipe. The valve is a Robertshaw Grayson 7000 ASTR-LP-3.

Well, I think I might try putting a new valve in, since this doesn't seem so
bad!

When I took the pipe off, the burner pipe that it connected to would spin
freely. Does that have to be oriented a perfect way, or can I just screw
the manifold pipe back onto it and let the burner lay where it lay?

- Mark

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Mark G. Meyers wrote:

[...]

Speedy Jim

Mark G. Meyers wrote:
Hi Speedy Jim.

I got it off, by taking the pipe off, and then got the valve off of the
pipe. The valve is a Robertshaw Grayson 7000 ASTR-LP-3.

Well, I think I might try putting a new valve in, since this doesn't seem so
bad!

When I took the pipe off, the burner pipe that it connected to would spin
freely. Does that have to be oriented a perfect way, or can I just screw
the manifold pipe back onto it and let the burner lay where it lay?

- Mark

Not picturing it exactly, but I'm guessing the burner can
just lay where it needs to.
Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Mark G. Meyers wrote:

[...]

Mark G. Meyers

Jim,
I got the new valve, it's another much like the original, but its a
universal with extra ports on it (and plugs for them). I've got some tape,
too. Would you use tape on the outlet (to the manifold pipe)? I was
thinking of taping everything.

- Mark

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Mark G. Meyers wrote:

[...]

Speedy Jim

Mark G. Meyers wrote:

Jim,
I got the new valve, it's another much like the original, but its a
universal with extra ports on it (and plugs for them). I've got some tape,
too. Would you use tape on the outlet (to the manifold pipe)? I was
thinking of taping everything.

- Mark

Don't use tape on gas fittings; it tends to extrude and bits can get
stuck in critical places. Use pipe dope listed for gas use.
Jim