Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Winterizing in the north

Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.
I know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv
fluid in the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the
basement in an unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but the
basement is tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer
is also in the basement. So what do others do in the north?

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:12:07 -0500, LSMFT wrote:

Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.
I know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv
fluid in the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the
basement in an unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but the
basement is tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer
is also in the basement. So what do others do in the north?

Never did it myself, but I wouldn't let my house sit over the winter
unheated. I'd keep it at least 40F or so, and have somebody check it
at least a couple times a week.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 11:12*am, LSMFT wrote:
Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.
I know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv
fluid in the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the
basement in an unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but the
basement is tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer
is also in the basement. So what do others do in the north?

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-

I have a basement with R 20 walls that is really tight but its half
above ground and it freezes at -10f. So I would say drain everything,
the boiler might be better to use antifreeze so it wont corrode
internaly. www.heatinghelp.com is all boiler pros that will help you
do whta best. Antifreeze can be used in the whole heating system buy
antifreese lowers boiler efficency, but it will stop corrosion which
could kill the system early, I have no copper, its all cast iron and
steel so corrosion is an issue. just plan that it all freezes
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 22, 11:12*am, LSMFT wrote:
Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.
I know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv
fluid in the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the
basement in an unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but the
basement is tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer
is also in the basement. So what do others do in the north?

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-

Call your fuel supplier for procedures concerning the boiler. Follow
their instructions. Remove the washer and put it in heated storage or
follow manufacturers instructions for leaving in place. Otherwise you
should be good to go. Usual notification of authorities is wise, ask
neighbors to check occasionally. Shut off utilities to site,

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 11:28*am, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:12:07 -0500, LSMFT wrote:
Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.
I know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv
fluid in the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the
basement in an unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but the
basement is tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer
is also in the basement. So what do others do in the north?

Never did it myself, but I wouldn't let my house sit over the winter
unheated. *I'd keep it at least 40F or so, and have somebody check it
at least a couple times a week.

--Vic

If the power goes out or something breaks at -20 things freeze in
hours if its kept at 40, and even at 40 pipes to near to exterior
walls can freeze at -20. Relying on a neighbor may also not work. best
is winterise everything and shut everything down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 12:29*pm, Joe wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:12*am, LSMFT wrote:

[...]

Boy I wouldnt let a home freeze for the winter.

plaster can spall that is crumble and fall off, any low places in
plumbing will freeze, let alone damage risks to washer dishwasher etc.
plus the home will look vacant, attracting the wrong element. hot
water tanks glass lining can be damaged by super low temp too......
lots of furnishings can be damaged by freezing too

did you talk to your insurance agent? a vacant home is a target for
arson break ins etc.

you must inform your homeowners company who will jack your rate up
about 8 times normal to cover ther extra risk.

if you fail to inform your homeowners company and a loss occurs they
dont have to pay, thats clause is in every contract.. you will have to
prove someone was living there hard to do with no heat. and around
here the gas company pulls meters for homes shut down. they charge for
meter removal and meter replacement and frequently require a pressure
test on gas lines, older homes invaribly fail that test. its 90 pounds
where normal gas pressure is under a pound or two......

your way better off to get a friend to live there and perhaps pay the
utility bills.

by the time you pay the increased homeowners you will save very little

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 1:04*pm, ransley wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:28*am, Vic Smith
wrote:

[...]

a vacant home needs a monitored security system ..... 40 is kinda cold
50 degrees is far better
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message

Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat. I
know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv fluid in
the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the basement in an
unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but the basement is
tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer is also in the
basement. So what do others do in the north?

Most insurance policies require that a house be adequately
heated even while unoccupied. Better check yours beforehand.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:04:05 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Feb 22, 11:28Â*am, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:12:07 -0500, LSMFT wrote:
Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.
I know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv
fluid in the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the
basement in an unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but the
basement is tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer
is also in the basement. So what do others do in the north?

Never did it myself, but I wouldn't let my house sit over the winter
unheated. Â*I'd keep it at least 40F or so, and have somebody check it
at least a couple times a week.

--Vic

If the power goes out or something breaks at -20 things freeze in
hours if its kept at 40, and even at 40 pipes to near to exterior
walls can freeze at -20. Relying on a neighbor may also not work. best
is winterise everything and shut everything down.

Well, you do what you gotta do.
Draining, anti-freezing what you can is sure a good idea if you don't
heat.
I wouldn't worry about anything freezing here at 40F as the heat is
pretty consistent on the piping, none close to a touching an outside
wall.
I don't know what would happen to the water service if I let the temp
get to -20F.
It's a lead pipe coming a couple feet out of the concrete floor to a
valve then the meter, and can't be drained.
Meter is full of water and would have to be drained too.
I'd be concerned about walls cracking, nails popping, etc.
Just something I'd not be willing to do.
But you do what you gotta do.
Since I haven't done it, I'm just guessing.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2011 1:13 PM, wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:29 pm, wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:12 am, wrote:

[...]

And we have a winner! Houses do not store well at all, especially once
they are past a certain age. Try for a trustworthy short-term rental or
a house sitter, even if you have to containerize and store all or part
of the stuff currently in the house.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 12:44*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 2/22/2011 1:13 PM, wrote:

On Feb 22, 12:29 pm, *wrote:

Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 2/22/2011 1:13 PM, wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:29 pm, wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:12 am, wrote:

[...]

I also agree with all the above...Leaving a home unheated in the winter is
hell on it and everything in it...Paint peels , walls crack , doors warp ,
ect. ect..Even IF you could get everything drained and use anti-freeze you
still need to remove the washer , dishwasher and ANYTHING else around that
could freeze and burst including food stuffs , cleaners , paint ect......If
nothing else set the heat to 55 and put a few lights on a timer and have a
friend or Property Management Company keep an eye on it....The insurance
company also requires the driveway to be plowed for fire fighting equiptment
unless it's right on the street...And you damn well better tell them if you
do leave it unheated or not occupied even if heated...I would rent it out if
it were me...There are MANY summer homes right on the water here in Maine
that get rented out every winter...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:12:07 -0500, LSMFT wrote:

Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.
I know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv
fluid in the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the
basement in an unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but the
basement is tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer
is also in the basement. So what do others do in the north?

Our place sat empty over an entire winter in northern MN before we bought
it - as far as I know the previous owners just drained the plumbing
completely and left it at that. Power was shut off. I don't believe
anything special was done to the drains, either (although the outdoor run
to the septic system isn't particularly long).

Someone did come and check on it every couple of weeks, so it's possible
they turned the power back on and ran the electric heaters up, but I'm
not sure how much that'd help vs. just keeping the place on tickover
anyway.

We've got no heat in the basement, but it seems to stay at around 55F
year-round no matter what the outdoor temperature - I'm not sure how much
further it'd fall if the place were left unheated though (the couple of
times we visited prior to buying, the owners had run the furnace up
beforehand). I suspect it'd stay above freezing, but possibly not by much.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:44 pm, wrote:
On 2/22/2011 1:13 PM, wrote:

On Feb 22, 12:29 pm, wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:12 am, wrote:

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I agree a free house-sitter, chosen carefully on the recommendations
of a friend (of yours), is the only realistic way to handle a 3 -4
month vacancy. You can buy alarms that would alert a neightbor if the
temperature got too low, but then you are puitting a lot of
responsibility on the neighbor to fix whatever led to the low
temperature problem in the first place.

Why do you have/want to turn the heat off? It will cost you more in
time and $$$ to do all the work than to just leave the house at a
lower temperature, somewhere between 40 and 50 F.

Where a barrel of oil is almost $1000 now, I think a little RV fluid is
much cheaper. I don't find it difficult to drain pipes, put antifreeze
in drains and winterize a washing machine. I don't have plaster walls,
it's drywall.

How many barrels of oil would it take to keep a house at 50 degrees for
six months?

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 9:36*am, LSMFT wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:44 pm, *wrote:
On 2/22/2011 1:13 PM, wrote:

On Feb 22, 12:29 pm, * *wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:12 am, * *wrote:

[...]

Ben Franklin-- Hide quoted text -

not nearly as many as you think.heat cost goes up exponentially with
temp wanted.

it costs dramatically less to keep a home at 50 than 70 degrees. thats
why they always say turn down your thermostat

the OP has gas, and gas companies charge a connection charge even if
you use zero gas.

or they remove the meter and frequently require a whole house pressure
test, at high pressure as a safety check.

replacing all the gas lines in your home can be very expensive.....

of course most people who can afford to be snowbirds should be able to
afford a little heat for their vacant home in winter......

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
" wrote:

not nearly as many as you think.heat cost goes up exponentially with
temp wanted.

it costs dramatically less to keep a home at 50 than 70 degrees. thats
why they always say turn down your thermostat

I'd ask the plonkasaurus what her winter heat bill is, since she keeps
the house at 50, but I can't, since I disagreed with her once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:36:46 -0500, LSMFT wrote:

How many barrels of oil would it take to keep a house at 50 degrees for
six months?

One. Unless you needed a refill wink.

A local real estate agent or management company will also have some
advice. I'm sure some homes are on the market during winter months, so
they would have some helpful information.

Six months? Yikes!

Former resident of Adirondack Mountains
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:27:40 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

not nearly as many as you think.heat cost goes up exponentially with
temp wanted.

it costs dramatically less to keep a home at 50 than 70 degrees. thats
why they always say turn down your thermostat

I'd ask the plonkasaurus what her winter heat bill is, since she keeps
the house at 50, but I can't, since I disagreed with her once.

....plonkasaurus?! Where? Get the camera...

Winterizing time cshenk Home Repair 36 October 7th 09 11:47 PM
Winterizing cshenk Home Repair 4 October 18th 08 10:55 PM
winterizing my cottage's well... jack[_8_] Home Repair 3 October 8th 08 11:32 PM
winterizing a cabin franz fripplfrappl Home Repair 2 September 28th 08 12:20 AM
Trampoline Winterizing Tom Accuosti Home Ownership 2 November 10th 04 03:55 AM