Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Winterizing in the north

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 2/22/2011 1:13 PM, wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:29 pm, wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:12 am, wrote:

Closing a house in the northeast next winter. I will shut off the heat.
I know I have to drain the plumbing, baseboard up stairs and put rv
fluid in the drains. What about the boiler in the basement? Will the
basement in an unheated house freeze? It gets 20 below zero here but
the
basement is tight and normally 72 degrees with the heat on. The washer
is also in the basement. So what do others do in the north?

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-

Call your fuel supplier for procedures concerning the boiler. Follow
their instructions. Remove the washer and put it in heated storage or
follow manufacturers instructions for leaving in place. Otherwise you
should be good to go. Usual notification of authorities is wise, ask
neighbors to check occasionally. Shut off utilities to site,

Joe

Boy I wouldnt let a home freeze for the winter.

plaster can spall that is crumble and fall off, any low places in
plumbing will freeze, let alone damage risks to washer dishwasher etc.
plus the home will look vacant, attracting the wrong element. hot
water tanks glass lining can be damaged by super low temp too......
lots of furnishings can be damaged by freezing too

did you talk to your insurance agent? a vacant home is a target for
arson break ins etc.

you must inform your homeowners company who will jack your rate up
about 8 times normal to cover ther extra risk.

if you fail to inform your homeowners company and a loss occurs they
dont have to pay, thats clause is in every contract.. you will have to
prove someone was living there hard to do with no heat. and around
here the gas company pulls meters for homes shut down. they charge for
meter removal and meter replacement and frequently require a pressure
test on gas lines, older homes invaribly fail that test. its 90 pounds
where normal gas pressure is under a pound or two......

your way better off to get a friend to live there and perhaps pay the
utility bills.

by the time you pay the increased homeowners you will save very little

And we have a winner! Houses do not store well at all, especially once
they are past a certain age. Try for a trustworthy short-term rental or a
house sitter, even if you have to containerize and store all or part of
the stuff currently in the house.

--
aem sends...

I also agree with all the above...Leaving a home unheated in the winter is
hell on it and everything in it...Paint peels , walls crack , doors warp ,
ect. ect..Even IF you could get everything drained and use anti-freeze you
still need to remove the washer , dishwasher and ANYTHING else around that
could freeze and burst including food stuffs , cleaners , paint ect......If
nothing else set the heat to 55 and put a few lights on a timer and have a
friend or Property Management Company keep an eye on it....The insurance
company also requires the driveway to be plowed for fire fighting equiptment
unless it's right on the street...And you damn well better tell them if you
do leave it unheated or not occupied even if heated...I would rent it out if
it were me...There are MANY summer homes right on the water here in Maine
that get rented out every winter...