Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Samsung TV repair question.

I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. It is around 32
inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides
cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past,
I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would
eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is.
Anything that can be done to fix this?

Its model number is TXJ2766.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2011 1:45 PM Beezle Bub spake thus:

I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. It is around 32
inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides
cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past,
I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would
eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is.
Anything that can be done to fix this?

Its model number is TXJ2766.

You might try over in sci.electronics.repair. Better chance of getting
knowledgable replies there.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:06:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 14, 7:52Â*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:45:45 -0800 (PST), Beezle Bub

wrote:
I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. Â*It is around 32
inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides
cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past,
I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would
eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is.
Anything that can be done to fix this?

Its model number is TXJ2766.

Â*You have some defective capacitors in the power supply

First question is this. Suppose it turns out to be something simple,
like
a single component that could be obtained for $10. Do you have the
basic skills to take the TV apart, unsolder a part, replace it, etc?
Have
even the most basic tools, eg soldering iron, VOM, hand tools, etc?
Or know someone who does to do it for you? If not, no need to go
any further. Just junk it because if you have to take it to a TV shop
it would cost so much compared to buying a new, better, HD one
that it isn't worth it.

And even if you do have the skills, playing guessing games to try to
figure out what it is may not be worth it anyway.

Being it is analog it MIGHT not be worth having fixed - but if it has
video inputs and he wants to use it with a cable direct box or
whatever, it may be worth fixing. Just because it is analog (NTSC
tuner instead of ATSC) does NOT mean it is not HD. Could even be
1080P.

If it is capacitors it is likely 4 or 6 electrolytics, worth about $3
each, eaxy to find because they will be swelled (tops convex instead
of concave) and they are generally through hole mounted radial
devices, so simple to change if he or a friend is handy with a solder
gun.

If he spends $30 on parts and it doesn't work when he's finished, he's
not out much, and he's had the experience. If he fixes it he feels
good about it, and has a usefull TV (or at least TV Monitor) for a
couple more years.
Depending where he is, there may be an independent repair shop that
will fix it for a $50 flat rate labour charge plus parts - still
pretty reasonable for a Samsung TV (they are pretty decent units, on
the whole).

If he opens up the case and finds 4 or 6 electroltytic caps that have
bulged, he's not guessing any more. - and if replacing them fixes it,
it's worth doing, if for nothing else than the experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2011 6:53 PM spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily so; if some caps have gone high ESR instead of bulging,
he'll never see them, unless he has an ESR meter and knows how to use it
and where to poke it.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 14, 3:45*pm, Beezle Bub wrote:
I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. *It is around 32
inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides
cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past,
I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would
eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is.
Anything that can be done to fix this?

Its model number is TXJ2766.

An 11 year old TV is nearly as obsolete as a wind up Victrola and not
nearly as valuable. Unless you are intent on getting into a new hobby,
buy a nice small flat panel LCD and take the poor critter to the
recycling center or find it a home on Craigslist. The digital world
has whistled right on past your Samsung.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2011 6:53 PM spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

Every one I've seen cause that kind of problem has been severely
swelled -and a lot of them were on Samsung monitors. (VGA, not TV, but
they are very closely related.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:34:45 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Feb 14, 3:45Â*pm, Beezle Bub wrote:
I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. Â*It is around 32
inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides
cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past,
I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would
eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is.
Anything that can be done to fix this?

Its model number is TXJ2766.

An 11 year old TV is nearly as obsolete as a wind up Victrola and not
nearly as valuable. Unless you are intent on getting into a new hobby,
buy a nice small flat panel LCD and take the poor critter to the
recycling center or find it a home on Craigslist. The digital world
has whistled right on past your Samsung.

Joe

It is a CRT set instead of a flat panel, so yes - definitely forget
about fixing it. I wasn't thinking straight and had not looked up the
model number. Deep six it. QUICK. (and on a flat screen it is more
likely to flash on and off than to shrink - flat panels don't have
deflection issues like CRTs - so "flog me with a wet noodle"

If it was a flat panel, either LCD or plasma, it would be worth
looking at. Being a CRT, not worth even cracking open the case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 4:45*pm, Beezle Bub wrote:
I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. *It is around 32
inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides
cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past,
I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would
eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is.
Anything that can be done to fix this?

Its model number is TXJ2766.

Bring it to a recycling center capable of properly disposing of used
CRT gizmos and then buy a new TV...

If you don't know what you are doing opening up a CRT TV set can
be fatal if you don't properly and safely discharge the capacitors
before poking around inside...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
He'll save on enrgy use too. Time to go for boat anchors

I'm still using a Magnavox 27" CRT that was made in '87, and has a picture
that still looks like the day it was made.

In the winter it helps heat the house, and in the summer I should be outside
anyway.

I like watching TV as much as the next guy, but if it ain't broke....

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2011 6:53 PM spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

Gotta agree. And I'd first look in the horizontal section.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Beezle Bub wrote:
I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. It is around 32
inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides
cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past,
I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would
eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is.
Anything that can be done to fix this?

Its model number is TXJ2766.

I wouldn't bother messing with it, but if you don't mind watching a
CRT hit the 2nd hand stores they are full of them now days. Reminds me,
I have a couple of them I intended to give away, I ought to do that
right now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:31:09 -0600, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:

Beezle Bub wrote:
I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. It is around 32
inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides
cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In the past,
I would have this problem for like 10 minutes but the image would
eventually correct itself. Nowadays, the problem remains as it is.
Anything that can be done to fix this?

Its model number is TXJ2766.

I wouldn't bother messing with it, but if you don't mind watching a
CRT hit the 2nd hand stores they are full of them now days. Reminds me,
I have a couple of them I intended to give away, I ought to do that
right now.

While you still can!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
wrote

I wouldn't bother messing with it, but if you don't mind watching a
CRT hit the 2nd hand stores they are full of them now days. Reminds me,
I have a couple of them I intended to give away, I ought to do that
right now.

While you still can!!!

Right. When I put mine at the curb, it sat for days and I finally put
stickers on it for trash pickup. Same with computer monitors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:18:35 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
wrote

I wouldn't bother messing with it, but if you don't mind watching a
CRT hit the 2nd hand stores they are full of them now days. Reminds me,
I have a couple of them I intended to give away, I ought to do that
right now.

While you still can!!!

Right. When I put mine at the curb, it sat for days and I finally put
stickers on it for trash pickup. Same with computer monitors.

Put a price tag of $50 on it and it will dissapear overnight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2011 10:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
wrote

I wouldn't bother messing with it, but if you don't mind watching a
CRT hit the 2nd hand stores they are full of them now days. Reminds me,
I have a couple of them I intended to give away, I ought to do that
right now.

While you still can!!!

Right. When I put mine at the curb, it sat for days and I finally put
stickers on it for trash pickup. Same with computer monitors.

What happens here is that someone with a hammer will stop and smash
the top and remove the parts with copper/aluminum in them. I've even
seen the garbage pickup guys do it.

I just had a 30 yard dumpster removed. While I had it I had a steady
stream of guys and girls in pickups and mini vans looking for metal. I
actually have a place I put metal out at for the regulars, but this drew
people I've never seen before. And, I'm on a side street near two dead
ends. How do they find me? Does the metal pay for all that gas spent
looking?

Car batteries are at $6 or $7, so lead is worth something again. I
think the lead in the tube is too hard to recover though.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I just had a 30 yard dumpster removed. While I had it I had a steady
stream of guys and girls in pickups and mini vans looking for metal. I
actually have a place I put metal out at for the regulars, but this drew
people I've never seen before. And, I'm on a side street near two dead
ends. How do they find me? Does the metal pay for all that gas spent
looking?

Maybe they use google earth to search for dumpsters.

Around here, the homeless comb the public trash cans regularly for
aluminum cans. When we got curbside recycling, they started raiding
those bins. The city snivels now because without the aluminum, the
recycling program can't pay for itself.