Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Grainger catalog

Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is
in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought
one little thing from them all last year.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is in
all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought one
little thing from them all last year.

Many of them go to the maintenance department where there may not be
computers or internet access. We got the McMaster-Carr catalog last week.
I've not used the paper for years, but our printed book goes to the shop
where it is used frequently.

As for web access, McMaster is far superior than Grainger and gets 99% of
our orders for that reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is in
all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought one
little thing from them all last year.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

Personally, I think that Sears Roebuck would still be a viable business if
they hadn't abandoned their catalog.
I love Graingers. I've been buying from them for around 25 years. I also do
electrical work for the local branch and they've hired me to troubleshoot
problems with electrical equipment bought and installed by others. IMO, THEY
HAVE THE WORST ONLINE CATALOG I'VE EVER SEEN!!!! I can't even find things
that I know are in the catalog. If they ever intend to abandon their paper
catalog, they better get their online act together or they're doomed

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2011 12:58 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is
in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought
one little thing from them all last year.

And if you find out let me know how to stop getting phone books. I can't
remember the last time I opened one and we haven't had a home phone in
years. Verizon and the two other companies who deliver their version
locally seem to think phone books are still relevant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2011 5:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
[...]

Sure, but that is getting rarer and rarer. I am in and out of a lot of
facilities and it is pretty rare to see folks without Internet access. I
was working at a place yesterday where the maintenance guy has a
notebook with an aircard and a smartphone. I can't think of a place I
have been in where they don't have a computer available for research and
ordering stuff. Even the remote facility I visit some times that is a 4
mile ride on a dirt road has a satellite dish for Internet.

As for web access, McMaster is far superior than Grainger and gets 99%
of our orders for that reason.

Yes, some companies really don't get it. I buy from one company mainly
because they are the only one who sells certain products and it is
almost impossible to find stuff unless you know an exact part number.

One company where we buy stuff used to produce a thick paper catalog.
They stopped that quite some time ago and started mailing out CDs. They
stopped mailing the CDs some years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/11 08:02 am, George wrote:

Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is
in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Easier to read in the bathroom than having to take the computer with you.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought
one little thing from them all last year.

And if you find out let me know how to stop getting phone books. I can't
remember the last time I opened one and we haven't had a home phone in
years. Verizon and the two other companies who deliver their version
locally seem to think phone books are still relevant.

Wait until your internet connection goes out and you haven't memorized
your ISP's phone number.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 02/08/11 08:02 am, George wrote:

Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is
in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Easier to read in the bathroom than having to take the computer with you.

This used to be true, but now that small tablet devices are readily
available, it's less true. It's also easier to browse through a paper
catalog to find interesting stuff you didn't know you needed.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought
one little thing from them all last year.

And if you find out let me know how to stop getting phone books. I can't
remember the last time I opened one and we haven't had a home phone in
years. Verizon and the two other companies who deliver their version
locally seem to think phone books are still relevant.

Wait until your internet connection goes out and you haven't memorized
your ISP's phone number.

My cable Internet connection rarely goes out, when it does I still have
dial backup (I think, haven't had to use it in at least a year), and
anyone with a "smart phone" or "air card" has that for backup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2011 8:02 AM, George wrote:
[...]

I think I nailed this one. They continue to send phone books becasue
the "yellow pages" needs to keep the circulation numbers up so they can
charge more for ads. I used to run an ad in 5 different books every
year and they do use circulation to price yellow page ads. Every book
is different with different ad pricing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

As for web access, McMaster is far superior than Grainger and gets 99% of
our orders for that reason.

I tell all my suppliers the same thing: model your website after
McMaster. None of them do. It's the best website on the web, period.
Zero noise, 100% functionality.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Feb 8, 12:58*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is
in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought
one little thing from them all last year.

* *To me, the *plonk...* reminds me of the old man at the public hearing
* *who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
* *that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

Sometimes a catalog will get you there faster than on-line search, but
when catalogs get too big, they are restrictive. I hate opening a
Grainger, Digi-Key, or MSC,
I also need to put on my Digi-Key glasses for that. Digi-Key
Electronics catalog
is thicker than Grainger and probably has twice the print.

When I get a Jameco catalog, I actually thumb through the whole thing,
like I used to do in all catalogs.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Feb 8, 12:49*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

As for *web access, McMaster is far superior than Grainger and gets 99% of
our orders for that reason.

I tell all my suppliers the same thing: model your website after
McMaster. None of them do. It's the best website on the web, period.
Zero noise, 100% functionality.

My old boss liked MSC MUCH better than McMaster at the time. I don't
look at them much
but my current boss always asks me if I want anything from MSC.
I usually say no since electronics is my prime requirment.
I do deal with Grainger mostly and they give me a good price from my
company
and I can also pick it up if i want.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is
in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought
one little thing from them all last year.

It's the Neman Markus (needless markup) of hardware.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 02/08/11 08:02 am, George wrote:

And if you find out let me know how to stop getting phone books. I can't
remember the last time I opened one and we haven't had a home phone in
years. Verizon and the two other companies who deliver their version
locally seem to think phone books are still relevant.

Wait until your internet connection goes out and you haven't memorized
your ISP's phone number.

Perce

Call "Ernestine". Remember her?
http://tinyurl.com/ahh9j
Posted to alt.home.repair

My gripe is grainger. I buy nearly nothing from them anymore. I used
to buy cases of expensive motors, and other things in quanity and got
a discount

Then a beancounter said no discounts unless the customer is buying
over 6 grand a year.

beancounter fails to realize the small customer of today might be the
large customer of tomorrow.

who will never exist, since the company sent the clear message we dont
want you......

I have found other sources except for a couple cheap items.....

every few years grainger reinvents themselves, only to shoot
themselves in the foot
Posted to alt.home.repair

Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is
in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for paper catalogs and
home delvery. As a 10-12 yr old boy, I LIKED the Sears catalog, the
pages with women in their skivies. If the internet existed then, I'd
be blind.

-TES

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now days, women don't wear skivvies. Well, mostly they don't
wear much of anything. Glad your interest went away at age
12.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Theodore Edward Stosterone"
wrote in message
news
On the other hand, there's something to be said for paper
catalogs and
home delvery. As a 10-12 yr old boy, I LIKED the Sears
catalog, the
pages with women in their skivies. If the internet existed
then, I'd
be blind.

-TES

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

As for web access, McMaster is far superior than Grainger and gets 99% of
our orders for that reason.

Are they cheaper than Grainger?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On the other hand, there's something to be said for paper catalogs and
home delvery. *As a 10-12 yr old boy, I LIKED the Sears catalog, the
pages with women in their skivies. *If the internet existed then, I'd
be blind.

-TES

oh yeah I rated those gals my mom wondered why we were using so many
flashlight batteries.

with me under blankets lights out

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
And if you find out let me know how to stop getting phone books. I
can't remember the last time I opened one and we haven't had a home
phone in years. Verizon and the two other companies who deliver their
version locally seem to think phone books are still relevant.

Call them up and tell them to pick up the ones they left, and never leave
any more. I did this with each of them (we have four of them in this area),
and the only one I get now is the one from the phone company, which is how I
want it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"G. Morgan" wrote in message
news
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

As for web access, McMaster is far superior than Grainger and gets 99% of
our orders for that reason.

Are they cheaper than Grainger?

About the same price. Never found enough of a difference to do a lot of
comparison shopping between them, but on big items, I can get a discount
from Grainger if I call and ask. My time cost money also. Not long ago I
was looking for a particular solenoid valve. After 15 minutes on Grainger
web site, I found more stuff to hunt through. In two minutes I found what I
wanted on McMaster and placed the order. Next day delivery 99.9% of the
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Because that 8 pound 4,434 page catalog can be used by personnel
in a building that has lost power and thus has no internet service to
identify and then call around for the parts or equipment they need to
get back up and running...

The new digital age with its on-line paperless wonders really craps
out during power failures and ISP issues where service is interrupted,
but the old tech printed catalog can be read by flashlight if need be
and used to seek out the magical gizmos to make the kingdom whole
again...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 11:58*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O. Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

As late in the new online, digital, paperless day as it is, here it is
in all its weighty glory. All 4,434 pages of it! About 8 pounds of dead
trees.

I can't believe this thing costs them any less than $10-15 a unit,
considering all that goes into it: design, compilation, product
photography, prepress, printing, bindery, shipping and postage.

Also a little surprised I got one, since I think I *might* have bought
one little thing from them all last year.

snip

Don't just sit there complaining. Take the tome to your library as a
donation (school or whatever). Then write a polite note to Grainger,
tell them what you did and have your name removed from the catalog
list. It's called activism, and our glorious leader in D.C. would
approve even such small steps.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2011 8:08 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Numbers are in the contact list on the computer which is also synced to
my smartphone. If not I can look them up using the smartphone.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2011 8:31 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
George wrote:
And if you find out let me know how to stop getting phone books. I
can't remember the last time I opened one and we haven't had a home
phone in years. Verizon and the two other companies who deliver their
version locally seem to think phone books are still relevant.

Call them up and tell them to pick up the ones they left, and never leave
any more. I did this with each of them (we have four of them in this area),
and the only one I get now is the one from the phone company, which is how I
want it.

Jon

Problem is that new phone books keep appearing so even if you notify the
one who left it on your front sidewalk someone else will throw one there
next year. I want zero phone books since we never ever use them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2011 10:48 PM, Evan wrote:
On Feb 8, 12:58 am, David wrote:
[...]

You will find that a very large number of folks who must keep such
enterprises running have a smartphone on their belt and likely an
aircard in their notebook.

The new digital age with its on-line paperless wonders really craps
out during power failures and ISP issues where service is interrupted,
but the old tech printed catalog can be read by flashlight if need be
and used to seek out the magical gizmos to make the kingdom whole
again...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
On 2/8/2011 8:08 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 02/08/11 08:02 am, George wrote:

Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O.
Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

Snip

I like Grainger, but since I am not in business, they won't sell to me.
At times, when I couldn't find an item any place else, I would lie to
them and tell them I worked for the school district, or some such thing,
but I hate to do that. I wish I could buy there.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Problem is that new phone books keep appearing so even if you notify
the one who left it on your front sidewalk someone else will throw
one there next year. I want zero phone books since we never ever use
them.

Call each company when an ad brick is left by that company. Explain that
you did not request the ad brick, that you refuse the ad brick, and that you
refuse to allow any agents of the ad brick company to trespass onto your
property (except to retrieve the ad brick they have just left).

Do this for each company (three or four, generally, in an area).

No more ad bricks.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 10:10*am, George wrote:
On 2/8/2011 10:48 PM, Evan wrote:

On Feb 8, 12:58 am, David *wrote:
[...]

ROFL...

Umm... Smart phone ? Notebook... ROFL...

What planet are you from, maybe in Fortune 500 companies where they
have managers and executives who don't ever touch a tool or fix
anything
who work to support the facilities maintenance aspect of their
operation,
but at 99.9999% of the institutional facilities out there the
maintenance
workers get a two-way radio, maybe a cell phone (sometimes a Nextel)
and access to a computer in the office which needs both power and comm
to operate... A LOT of things are ordered out of printed catalogs
still to
this day by the greasy people who actually do the work even in the
digital age...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 10:46*am, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
"George" wrote in message

... On 2/8/2011 8:08 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 02/08/11 08:02 am, George wrote:

Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O.
Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

Snip

I like Grainger, but since I am not in business, they won't sell to me.
At times, when I couldn't find an item any place else, I would lie to
them and tell them I worked for the school district, or some such thing,
but I hate to do that. *I wish I could buy there.

Bob-tx

just print yourself a fake business card, and pay cash.

its all a ruse grainger reps have asked me can we use your account for
someone who cant buy here they are paying cash, thats fine by me.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2011 1:47 PM, Evan wrote:
On Feb 10, 10:10 am, wrote:
On 2/8/2011 10:48 PM, Evan wrote:

On Feb 8, 12:58 am, David wrote:
[...]

Earth, circa 2011 AD. Times are changing. Smaller guys are typically
more technologically nimble because they need to be and the fact that
they are small often lets them make their own choices without meeting
some megacorp standard.

I was just working at a facility today that is very much not fortune
500. The staff consists of two people. One guy has a smartphone and the
other guy has an aircard in his notebook. They also have a computer in
the office.

I am in and out of lots of facilities and it is unusual anymore not to
see this.

have managers and executives who don't ever touch a tool or fix
anything
who work to support the facilities maintenance aspect of their
operation,
but at 99.9999% of the institutional facilities out there the
maintenance
workers get a two-way radio, maybe a cell phone (sometimes a Nextel)
and access to a computer in the office which needs both power and comm
to operate... A LOT of things are ordered out of printed catalogs
still to
this day by the greasy people who actually do the work even in the
digital age...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:

"George" wrote in message
On 2/8/2011 8:08 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 02/08/11 08:02 am, George wrote:

Got a note the other day that there was a parcel for me at the P.O.
Went
there and discovered that rather than some nifty-type gift, it was the
latest Grainger catalog.

Unbelievable.

Snip

I like Grainger, but since I am not in business, they won't sell to me.
At times, when I couldn't find an item any place else, I would lie to
them and tell them I worked for the school district, or some such thing,
but I hate to do that. I wish I could buy there.

You can get around that if you want. I don't run a business per-se, but
I do do consulting and freelance work on the side, and that is reported
in my tax returns. Faxing them a copy of my schedule C (if I recall the
form correctly) was sufficient to get me an account.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

George wrote:
Problem is that new phone books keep appearing so even if you notify
the one who left it on your front sidewalk someone else will throw
one there next year. I want zero phone books since we never ever use
them.

Call each company when an ad brick is left by that company. Explain that
you did not request the ad brick, that you refuse the ad brick, and that you
refuse to allow any agents of the ad brick company to trespass onto your
property (except to retrieve the ad brick they have just left).

Do this for each company (three or four, generally, in an area).

No more ad bricks.

Jon

Just use the book as a convenient source of sheets of paper for your
chimney charcoal starter for your BBQ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2011 10:53 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
George wrote:
Problem is that new phone books keep appearing so even if you notify
the one who left it on your front sidewalk someone else will throw
one there next year. I want zero phone books since we never ever use
them.

Call each company when an ad brick is left by that company. Explain that
you did not request the ad brick, that you refuse the ad brick, and that you
refuse to allow any agents of the ad brick company to trespass onto your
property (except to retrieve the ad brick they have just left).

Do this for each company (three or four, generally, in an area).

No more ad bricks.

Jon

That only works if the same companies produce the book. We didn't get
the "official book" since I canceled home phone service but one came two
weeks ago. The others are always from someone new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 6:09*pm, George wrote:
On 2/10/2011 1:47 PM, Evan wrote:

On Feb 10, 10:10 am, *wrote:
On 2/8/2011 10:48 PM, Evan wrote:

On Feb 8, 12:58 am, David * *wrote:
[...]

Weird...

Must have been a contractor or outsourced vendor maintenance
service...

Care to disclose what area this was in, as some places are
much more techno-hippie than others...

Still saying that maintenance techs with internet surfing
smart phones are rare rather than the typical situation...

Even though you seem to be in a more high tech environ...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2011 12:26 PM, Evan wrote:
On Feb 10, 6:09 pm, wrote:
On 2/10/2011 1:47 PM, Evan wrote:

On Feb 10, 10:10 am, wrote:
On 2/8/2011 10:48 PM, Evan wrote:

On Feb 8, 12:58 am, David wrote:
[...]

The two folks are employees of the guy who owns the enterprise.

Care to disclose what area this was in, as some places are
much more techno-hippie than others...

PA, there is nothing particularly bleeding edge about this area.