Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to remove glued down carpet

might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 16:22:28 -0500, bpuharic wrote:

might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

A carpet/flooring installer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 4:22*pm, bpuharic wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

whats the floor made of? wood? concrete? tile?
Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

Check what kind of glue was used.
The water based ones can sometimes be dissolved/softened by wetting,
and carpet and glue can be pulled and scraped.
Sometimes only sweat, muscle and hacking will do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 23:10:03 +0100, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

bpuharic wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

Check what kind of glue was used.
The water based ones can sometimes be dissolved/softened by wetting,
and carpet and glue can be pulled and scraped.
Sometimes only sweat, muscle and hacking will do.

i was afraid you were gonna say that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bpuharic" wrote in message
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

I had some carpet replaced that was glued down. The installers had
something about the size of a small lawn mower. It was powered by an
electric motor and had a scraper blade. Similar to an electric powered
puddy knife. It was around 18 inches to 2 feet wide.
What that did not get up, they used some sanding machines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:22*pm, bpuharic wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

whats the floor made of? wood? concrete? tile?

floor's plywood

might be easier to just replace the plywood or overlay it with more,,,
like that underlayment
Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

Usually carpet glue is not too aggressive, after all, where's the carpet
gonna go? Moreover, the carpet probably won't be glued over its entire
extent; just the walls and a few splashes in the middle.

So, then, try first a couple of strong backs while chanting "Yo ho, heave
ho."

If that's not totally successfuly, then a tile scraper (long handle, 6" flat
blade) may get up the residual.

If THAT fails, then a pneumatic tile scraper - the proverbial "bigger
hammer."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2011 6:12 PM, HeyBub wrote:
bpuharic wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

Usually carpet glue is not too aggressive, after all, where's the carpet
gonna go? Moreover, the carpet probably won't be glued over its entire
extent; just the walls and a few splashes in the middle.

So, then, try first a couple of strong backs while chanting "Yo ho, heave
ho."

If that's not totally successfuly, then a tile scraper (long handle, 6" flat
blade) may get up the residual.

If THAT fails, then a pneumatic tile scraper - the proverbial "bigger
hammer."

I would try one of the so-called multitools with a non-toothed
scraper blade. Much of it might just pull off ... as someone
posted, carpeting eventually needs to be replace. BTW, you can get
the multitool knockoffs for $30 (Harbor Freight).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 6, 4:22 pm, wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

whats the floor made of? wood? concrete? tile?

floor's plywood

Multiple layers of plywood, or was the plywood applied over the real
floor? Carpet directly over plywood subfloor is uncommon, and not
considered good workmanlike practice. Back in stone age, if the owner
knew they didn't want the then-standard hardwood, we put down a layer of
5/8 particle board, to give the floor some mass. Or is your floor one of
those extra-thick T&G all-in-one deck products?

I could cry when I think about all the thousands of acres of good
hardwood floors that got hidden under W/W carpet before anybody ever got
to see it or walk on it. Only rich people can afford real hardwood in
every room but bath/kitchen/entryways these days, and it used to be
standard in everything except absolutely bottom-level cookie cutters.
Carpet used to be for rich people. When did the world turn upside down
again?

But having said all that- I assume this is self-padded carpet? Unless
installed by a first-timer, it is probably only spot-glued. Heat gun may
help, depending on type of glue used, but it is a lot of manual effort
even with a stripping machine. Carpet will come up, but the black foam
crap won't, and the created dust is almost as nasty as a copier toner
accident. (Idiot previous owner of this place glued down that crap in
furnace room of all places, and scraping up the last of the residue has
been on my to-do list for several years.)

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 6, 4:22 pm, wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

whats the floor made of? wood? concrete? tile?

floor's plywood

Multiple layers of plywood, or was the plywood applied over the real
floor? Carpet directly over plywood subfloor is uncommon, and not
considered good workmanlike practice. Back in stone age, if the owner
knew they didn't want the then-standard hardwood, we put down a layer of
5/8 particle board, to give the floor some mass. Or is your floor one of
those extra-thick T&G all-in-one deck products?

not sure what's under there exactly. have an inconspicuous secdtion i
could pull up...

I could cry when I think about all the thousands of acres of good
hardwood floors that got hidden under W/W carpet before anybody ever got
to see it or walk on it.

yeah you bet. i had an older house with carpeting. pulled it up and
found BEAUTIFUL hardwood which i was able to restore...cheap carpet,
good floor!

But having said all that- I assume this is self-padded carpet?

it's cheap carpet so i think it is self padded...more like indoor
outdoor. previous owner had lots of kids and ran a daycare for kids

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 17:43:35 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
.. .
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

I had some carpet replaced that was glued down. The installers had
something about the size of a small lawn mower. It was powered by an
electric motor and had a scraper blade. Similar to an electric powered
puddy knife. It was around 18 inches to 2 feet wide.
What that did not get up, they used some sanding machines.

ouch! sounds like fun!
Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
[...]

good info guys! thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
[...]

good info guys! thanks- Hide quoted text -

I spent over a week of evenings trying to get glued down self padded
carpet off a vinyl floor.at a buddies home

very hard work that really wasnt worth the effort

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

On Feb 6, 4:22 pm, *wrote:
[...]

outdoor. previous owner had lots of kids and ran a daycare for kids- Hide quoted text -

I put one of these down on a vinyl tile floor and foam pad glued
itself to floor after several years.
Took me a lot of scraping to get up. I seem to recall reading that
freezing with dry ice would make it more brittle and easier to scrape,
but I did not try it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Back in the early 80's I removed glued down kitchen carpet over plywood sub
floor to install tile. After the carpet was pulled up there was a
significant residue of carpet padding/backing stuck to the floor plus ridges
of adhesive left from the trowling process. Then I used a wire cup brush
on an electric angle grinder to remove what was left. It was slow but not
too difficult or labor intensive, and everything came up. However, we found
crumbs of carpet padding in the lower kitchen cabinets for years.

Ca****cher

"bpuharic" wrote in message
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

Removing glued carpet Dymphna[_51_] Home Repair 15 September 28th 09 11:08 PM
Removing glued carpet Dymphna[_51_] Home Repair 0 September 24th 09 09:26 PM
Glued Carpet Removal CJ Home Repair 7 October 2nd 04 11:39 PM
Glued down carpet Fred Home Ownership 2 September 30th 03 11:10 PM
Glued down carpet Fred Home Repair 0 September 30th 03 12:56 PM