Posted to alt.home.repair
bpuharic bpuharic is offline

Default how to remove glued down carpet

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 18:36:58 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

On 2/6/2011 5:17 PM, bpuharic wrote:
On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 14:08:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 6, 4:22 pm, wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

whats the floor made of? wood? concrete? tile?

floor's plywood

Multiple layers of plywood, or was the plywood applied over the real
floor? Carpet directly over plywood subfloor is uncommon, and not
considered good workmanlike practice. Back in stone age, if the owner
knew they didn't want the then-standard hardwood, we put down a layer of
5/8 particle board, to give the floor some mass. Or is your floor one of
those extra-thick T&G all-in-one deck products?

not sure what's under there exactly. have an inconspicuous secdtion i
could pull up...

I could cry when I think about all the thousands of acres of good
hardwood floors that got hidden under W/W carpet before anybody ever got
to see it or walk on it.

yeah you bet. i had an older house with carpeting. pulled it up and
found BEAUTIFUL hardwood which i was able to restore...cheap carpet,
good floor!

But having said all that- I assume this is self-padded carpet?

it's cheap carpet so i think it is self padded...more like indoor
outdoor. previous owner had lots of kids and ran a daycare for kids