Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default how to remove glued down carpet

On 2/6/2011 5:17 PM, bpuharic wrote:
On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 14:08:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 6, 4:22 pm, wrote:
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued
down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up?

thanks all

whats the floor made of? wood? concrete? tile?

floor's plywood

Multiple layers of plywood, or was the plywood applied over the real
floor? Carpet directly over plywood subfloor is uncommon, and not
considered good workmanlike practice. Back in stone age, if the owner
knew they didn't want the then-standard hardwood, we put down a layer of
5/8 particle board, to give the floor some mass. Or is your floor one of
those extra-thick T&G all-in-one deck products?

I could cry when I think about all the thousands of acres of good
hardwood floors that got hidden under W/W carpet before anybody ever got
to see it or walk on it. Only rich people can afford real hardwood in
every room but bath/kitchen/entryways these days, and it used to be
standard in everything except absolutely bottom-level cookie cutters.
Carpet used to be for rich people. When did the world turn upside down
again?

But having said all that- I assume this is self-padded carpet? Unless
installed by a first-timer, it is probably only spot-glued. Heat gun may
help, depending on type of glue used, but it is a lot of manual effort
even with a stripping machine. Carpet will come up, but the black foam
crap won't, and the created dust is almost as nasty as a copier toner
accident. (Idiot previous owner of this place glued down that crap in
furnace room of all places, and scraping up the last of the residue has
been on my to-do list for several years.)

--
aem sends....