Posted to alt.home.repair

Default JUST A SIMPLE Q...

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water when
running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why? Please...t/y

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Papa Pat" wrote in message
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water when
running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why? Please...t/y

I never knew there would be a difference. I use hot water all the time and
never had a problem for many years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1) the cold water helps cool the motor
2) Cold water in the grinder tends to throw particles down
the drain. Hot tends to throw sludge, which cools and
hardens later. Clogs the drain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Papa Pat" wrote in message
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot
water when
running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Posted to alt.home.repair

Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water when
running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why? Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Consider the ignorance of the average fundamentalist. Then realize that
by definition fully half of them must be even dumber than that."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

But that begs the question of whether the motor needs cooling.

And even if it did, it's not a WATER-COOLED motor anyway.

I just ran my disposal for two minutes with NO water and the motor didn't
even get warm to the touch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

But that begs the question of whether the motor needs cooling.

And even if it did, it's not a WATER-COOLED motor anyway.

I just ran my disposal for two minutes with NO water and the motor didn't
even get warm to the touch.

You took the words out of my fingers. I was thinking along the same lines
since the motor doesn't even near contact with the water.

I don't buy the water cooler theory. As I've stated, I always use hot water
and have never had a disposal go out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:20:44 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

But that begs the question of whether the motor needs cooling.

Yes.

And even if it did, it's not a WATER-COOLED motor anyway.

But it is!

I just ran my disposal for two minutes with NO water and the motor didn't
even get warm to the touch.

Empty, no doubt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

But that begs the question of whether the motor needs cooling.

Yes.

And even if it did, it's not a WATER-COOLED motor anyway.

But it is!

I just ran my disposal for two minutes with NO water and the motor
didn't even get warm to the touch.

Empty, no doubt.

1. "Use cold water when grinding food (hot water can melt fats and clog the
mechanism and the pipes)"
http://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/g...-problems.html

2. "Run cold water while the disposal is on. Cold water keeps the motor,
bearings and shredder assembly from overheating. It also lets the waste go
down easier because the water is pushing it down."
http://www.wikihow.com/Maintain-a-Garbage-Disposal

3. "Flushing with cold water is recommended when running the disposal unit
to prevent damage to the blades and wash away the chopped waste without
allowing it to build up and clog the drains."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_disposal

4. "Always use cold water when operating the disposer to solidify fatty &
greasy waste so they will be chopped up & flushed down the drain.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_I_r...rd5pB1cAnswers seemed to be all over the place. Evidently it makes littledifference.As a modification on the above experiment, I ran my disposal for threeminutes with HOT water. The motor still didn't even warm up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

But that begs the question of whether the motor needs cooling.

Yes.

And even if it did, it's not a WATER-COOLED motor anyway.

But it is!

I just ran my disposal for two minutes with NO water and the motor didn't
even get warm to the touch.

Empty, no doubt.

The motor is air cooled, so irrelevent. Air cooled motors are much
cheaper than water cooled. Water cooling is only used where ther is
no air or the air is very hot. Even then, oil cooling is preferable
but even more expensive.
Submersible pumps and some circulating pumps are water cooled. Some of
then have the windings encapsulated in and oil filled can which is
water cooled.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Feb 3, 4:14*am, harry wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

[...]

The motor has a top bearing which would go bad faster with heat.

I use hot all the time to wash down any grease.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 01:14:24 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

But that begs the question of whether the motor needs cooling.

Yes.

And even if it did, it's not a WATER-COOLED motor anyway.

But it is!

I just ran my disposal for two minutes with NO water and the motor didn't
even get warm to the touch.

Empty, no doubt.

The motor is air cooled, so irrelevent. Air cooled motors are much
cheaper than water cooled. Water cooling is only used where ther is
no air or the air is very hot. Even then, oil cooling is preferable
but even more expensive.

Wrong, as usual. Water does cool the motor so it can be made *cheaper*.

Submersible pumps and some circulating pumps are water cooled. Some of
then have the windings encapsulated in and oil filled can which is
water cooled.

Irrelevant, also as usual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

[...]

Irrelevant, also as usual.- Hide quoted text -

I don't see how water can cool the motor, as the water is not around
the parts
of the motor that get hot, ie the coils or armature. The grinding
mechanism
and water are well above that. You'd get some heat transfer down the
shaft,
etc. but doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal. Also, I
don't know
how others use their disposal, but I use mine for a minute or two at a
time.
Hard to picture someone running it long enough with hot water, to
amount
to a heating issue with the motor.

I'd go more with the case that cold water tends to keep things like
fat solid
so they get ground up and sent down in bits, rather than liquid which
then
solidifies again in the pipes. Plus, how long does one
run the typical disposal? I run mine for a minute at a time. And
for me,
it doesn't much matter because
I'm not going to use hot water and pay to heat it when I can use
cold. On
the other hand, if the sink happend to have 3 inches of hot water in
it and
some vegetable debris, etc, I wouldn't wait for it to cool down
before
running it either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Papa Pat wrote:
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Hot water will disolve the ground up grease, which will then congeal to the
pipes as it cools off further from the house, eventually plugging the pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 09:54:45 -0800, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:

The motor is air cooled, so irrelevent. Air cooled motors are much
cheaper than water cooled. Water cooling is only used where ther is
no air or the air is very hot. Even then, oil cooling is preferable
but even more expensive.

Wrong, as usual. Water does cool the motor so it can be made
*cheaper*.

The disposals I've worked on had no sign of water cooling. No water got any
further than the end of the shaft beyond the bearing.

Why do you assume that it needs to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 5:38*pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water when
running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why? Please...t/y

This from Waste King's owner's guide:
" It is not recommended to use hot water while
running disposer. Cold water will keep waste and
fats solid so disposer can flush away particles."

Waste King has the highest rated disposer on consumersearch.com, a
review aggregation site, so that's why I chose that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 08:19:56 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Feb 2, 5:38*pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water when
running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why? Please...t/y

This from Waste King's owner's guide:
" It is not recommended to use hot water while
running disposer. Cold water will keep waste and
fats solid so disposer can flush away particles."

The Insinkerator I installed moons ago warned about overheating the motor. The
motor *is* cooled by the water.

Waste King has the highest rated disposer on consumersearch.com, a
review aggregation site, so that's why I chose that one.

What do consumer ratings have to do with physics?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 2, 5:38 pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

This from Waste King's owner's guide:
" It is not recommended to use hot water while
running disposer. Cold water will keep waste and
fats solid so disposer can flush away particles."

The Insinkerator I installed moons ago warned about overheating the
motor. The motor *is* cooled by the water.

Did the manual say that the motor was cooled by the water, or are you just
guessing.

Yes.

Did the manual, in fact, say, "always run cool water so the motor won't
overheat," or something similar.

Yes. It said the motor was cooled by the water and that it would overheat,
shortening its life, if it was run with hot water.

Point is, my table saw motor will get hot, but the manual says nothing about
water - hot OR cold - having any bearing on the motor's temperature.

Your table saw is not designed to run with water flowing through it. I hope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 05:47:58 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

You really don't think there is a difference in 20C water on the
shaft and common surfaces and 60C water on those surfaces when the
motor is running? Moron.

Okay, I'll play. How long does it take for the heat from a 60C motor to
transfer to the shaft such that the shaft is, oh, say 50C?

Thirty minutes? Ten minutes?

Seconds. Metal is a *very* good conductor of heat.

Then tabulate how long a disposal runs in a typical application.

Ten seconds? One minute?

Long enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 2, 5:38 pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

This from Waste King's owner's guide:
" It is not recommended to use hot water while
running disposer. Cold water will keep waste and
fats solid so disposer can flush away particles."

The Insinkerator I installed moons ago warned about overheating the
motor. The motor *is* cooled by the water.

Did the manual say that the motor was cooled by the water, or are you just
guessing.

Yes.

Did the manual, in fact, say, "always run cool water so the motor won't
overheat," or something similar.

Yes. *It said the motor was cooled by the water and that it would overheat,
shortening its life, if it was run with hot water.

That sentence drips with weaseling. Shortening it's life if run with
hot water means that the fat and grease gum up the works, thus
shortening the life. Which is keeping with what I posted earlier:
This from Waste King's owner's guide:
" It is not recommended to use hot water while
running disposer. Cold water will keep waste and
fats solid so disposer can flush away particles."

All manuals are online for all manufacturers of pretty much
everything. Post the link to a/any manual and point out the section
where it says that the disposer is water cooled. Publish or perish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 2, 5:38*pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water when
running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why? Please...t/y

This from Waste King's owner's guide:
" It is not recommended to use hot water while
running disposer. Cold water will keep waste and
fats solid so disposer can flush away particles."

The Insinkerator I installed moons ago warned about overheating the motor.. The
motor *is* cooled by the water.

Waste King has the highest rated disposer on consumersearch.com, a
review aggregation site, so that's why I chose that one.

What do consumer ratings have to do with physics?

As much as your eyes flitting over a screen has to do with
intelligence and reading comprehension. Absolutely nothing.

Stop trying to make this a personality thing - you don't have one.
Show proof of your claim that a disposer is water-cooled. It's easily
verified by posting a residential disposer manual. So do so - that
way you'll prove everyone in this thread except you are morons and
you'll feel ever so much more special.

I won't be holding my breath. When you fail to produce any evidence,
there will be no need to apologize. Just learn from it and stop being
a twit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:48:34 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

wrote:

On Feb 2, 5:38 pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
[...]

....and you certainly are an expert weasel.

Shortening it's life if run with
hot water means that the fat and grease gum up the works, thus
shortening the life. Which is keeping with what I posted earlier:
This from Waste King's owner's guide:

No, illiterate asshole. They said it was because of the *HEAT*.

" It is not recommended to use hot water while
running disposer. Cold water will keep waste and
fats solid so disposer can flush away particles."

All manuals are online for all manufacturers of pretty much
everything. Post the link to a/any manual and point out the section
where it says that the disposer is water cooled. Publish or perish.

Eat me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:59:22 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

wrote:

On Feb 2, 5:38*pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water when
running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why? Please...t/y

This from Waste King's owner's guide:
" It is not recommended to use hot water while
running disposer. Cold water will keep waste and
fats solid so disposer can flush away particles."

The Insinkerator I installed moons ago warned about overheating the motor. The
motor *is* cooled by the water.

Waste King has the highest rated disposer on consumersearch.com, a
review aggregation site, so that's why I chose that one.

What do consumer ratings have to do with physics?

As much as your eyes flitting over a screen has to do with
intelligence and reading comprehension. Absolutely nothing.

When I read your posts, sure. No intelligence or comprehension there!

Stop trying to make this a personality thing - you don't have one.

Speaking of which. How's your tiff with Swingman going?

Show proof of your claim that a disposer is water-cooled. It's easily
verified by posting a residential disposer manual. So do so - that
way you'll prove everyone in this thread except you are morons and
you'll feel ever so much more special.

STFU, idiot.

I won't be holding my breath.

Oh, darn!

When you fail to produce any evidence,
there will be no need to apologize. Just learn from it and stop being
a twit.

You wouldn't anyway. No loss.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:52:49 -0500, "SBH" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

But that begs the question of whether the motor needs cooling.

And even if it did, it's not a WATER-COOLED motor anyway.

I just ran my disposal for two minutes with NO water and the motor didn't
even get warm to the touch.

You took the words out of my fingers. I was thinking along the same lines
since the motor doesn't even near contact with the water.

I don't buy the water cooler theory. As I've stated, I always use hot water
and have never had a disposal go out.

I almost always use hot water and my disposers last years and years. I
think hot water keeps them from gumming up with grease.

Simple, really... Rusty[_3_] Woodworking 3 December 10th 09 04:17 AM
Help with a simple box Ed Clarke Woodworking 7 September 9th 08 02:40 AM
Simple...Right? josh Home Repair 15 December 6th 05 03:33 PM
Simple Help Paul Stafford Electronics 12 July 22nd 05 04:05 PM