Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help with a simple box

I need to make a very simple box with inside dimensions of 12 inches by
18 inches by 3 inches high. The problem is that this will contain a
granite surface plate that weighs eighty-five pounds. Box material will
be 4/4 white oak.

The sides are easy - four dovetailed corners. The top doesn't matter
much as it won't support any weight. But the bottom... I really don't
want to pick this thing up and have the bottom fall out and drop a
heavy piece of rock on my foot.

How would you attach a bottom to this kind of box? Extend the eighteen
inch sides below the twelve inch sides and use a sliding dovetail?
Posted to rec.woodworking

How would you attach a bottom to this kind of box?

Plywood (even 1/4" luan will do) into 1/4" deep groove (not a rabbet). You
would have 61 linear inches of groove to support that rock.

-Steve

Extend the eighteen inch sides below the twelve inch sides and use a

sliding dovetail?

That is way more complicated than it needs to be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
I need to make a very simple box with inside dimensions of 12 inches by
18 inches by 3 inches high. The problem is that this will contain a
granite surface plate that weighs eighty-five pounds. Box material will
be 4/4 white oak.

The sides are easy - four dovetailed corners. The top doesn't matter
much as it won't support any weight. But the bottom... I really don't
want to pick this thing up and have the bottom fall out and drop a
heavy piece of rock on my foot.

How would you attach a bottom to this kind of box? Extend the eighteen
inch sides below the twelve inch sides and use a sliding dovetail?

Can you simply attach the sides on top of the bottom? Let the edges of the
bottom be exposed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
I need to make a very simple box with inside dimensions of 12 inches by
18 inches by 3 inches high. The problem is that this will contain a
granite surface plate that weighs eighty-five pounds. Box material will
be 4/4 white oak.

The sides are easy - four dovetailed corners. The top doesn't matter
much as it won't support any weight. But the bottom... I really don't
want to pick this thing up and have the bottom fall out and drop a
heavy piece of rock on my foot.

How would you attach a bottom to this kind of box? Extend the eighteen
inch sides below the twelve inch sides and use a sliding dovetail?

I would put a dado in the sides and make the bottom captive. 1/2" plywood
bottom should handle it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you really want to use dovetails how about dovetailing all the 18" joints
together? ie top & bottom pins DT'd into front & back tails. One end
opens to allow slipping the box onto the stone which has been slid (less
than 1/2 way) off the benchtop. Reverse to extract the stone. I'd expect
there to be less wrangling of the stone, and cursing, this way.
Art

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
I need to make a very simple box with inside dimensions of 12 inches by
18 inches by 3 inches high. The problem is that this will contain a
granite surface plate that weighs eighty-five pounds. Box material will
be 4/4 white oak.

The sides are easy - four dovetailed corners. The top doesn't matter
much as it won't support any weight. But the bottom... I really don't
want to pick this thing up and have the bottom fall out and drop a
heavy piece of rock on my foot.

How would you attach a bottom to this kind of box? Extend the eighteen
inch sides below the twelve inch sides and use a sliding dovetail?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 7, 7:02*am, Ed Clarke wrote:
I need to make a very simple box with inside dimensions of 12 inches by
18 inches by 3 inches high. *The problem is that this will contain a
granite surface plate that weighs eighty-five pounds.

Instead of lifting the box, I'd think in terms of putting two handles
on each side, for a two-man lift. Easiest would be two
2x2 oak sticks, protruding beyond the 12" dimension to
let you grab 'em. Use 2" x 2" x 21.5" sticks, set the box
atop 'em and glue/screw together. Then put the stone in the box.
The top is a dust cover, basically...

How to gently lower the stone into the box:
Drill drain holes in the bottom
Fill the box with ice
Set the stone on the ice
... take a long lunch break.

SIMPLE CHEST - PDF J T Woodworking 0 September 21st 06 06:35 AM
Simple...Right? josh Home Repair 15 December 6th 05 03:33 PM
Simple Help Paul Stafford Electronics 12 July 22nd 05 04:05 PM
Need a Simple On and Off circuit Eric Electronics 2 January 24th 04 12:29 AM