Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

Default JUST A SIMPLE Q...

On Feb 3, 4:14*am, harry wrote:
On Feb 3, 2:53*am, "
wrote:

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:20:44 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:
Papa Pat wrote:

Does it hurt or harm a kitchen sink disposal, if you use hot water
when running it? Or should it always be cold water? And why?
Please...t/y

Cold water would help cool the motor.

But that begs the question of whether the motor needs cooling.

Yes.

And even if it did, it's not a WATER-COOLED motor anyway.

But it is!

I just ran my disposal for two minutes with NO water and the motor didn't
even get warm to the touch.

Empty, no doubt.

The motor is air cooled, so irrelevent. * Air cooled motors are much
cheaper than water cooled. *Water cooling is only used where ther is
no air or the air is very hot. * Even then, oil cooling is preferable
but even more expensive.
Submersible pumps and some circulating pumps are water cooled. Some of
then have the windings encapsulated in and oil filled can which is
water cooled.

The motor has a top bearing which would go bad faster with heat.

I use hot all the time to wash down any grease.

greg