Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave temperatures, Browninig Plate, Harmful???

Microwave temperatures, Browning Plate, Harmful???

My microwave died and I got a new 1100W one.
Big error. With a minimum on-time of 15 seconds,
it cooks the crap out of stuff for some percentage
of the time. 1100W for 15 seconds out of a minute is NOT the same
as 300W for the whole time. It's a PITA to have to
put a cup of water in there to keep food from incinerating.

As part of my quest for a solution, I picked up a browning
skillet. Here's my concern.

Temperatures inside a microwave don't get much over 212F.
Heat happens by rubbing water molecules together. Water can't
get much over 212F before it boils away. Water gone, so is the
heat source. It's a self-limiting process.

But the browning plate gets up to 600F in a minute. It has feet
that suspend it above the glass carousel plate, but not by much.
Then there's the plastic Y-shaped thing that provides the rotating
force and the bearings for the glass plate. I'm concerned that the
high temperature of the browning plate will crack the glass
or systematically destroy the plastic thingie.

Browning plates were made back when microwave power was half what
it is today. And before the carousel.
And most places quit making the browning plates long ago.

Anybody got any long term experience using a browning plate
in a modern microwave oven?
Thanks, mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"mike" wrote in message
Microwave temperatures, Browning Plate, Harmful???

My microwave died and I got a new 1100W one.
Big error. With a minimum on-time of 15 seconds,
it cooks the crap out of stuff for some percentage
of the time. 1100W for 15 seconds out of a minute is NOT the same
as 300W for the whole time. It's a PITA to have to
put a cup of water in there to keep food from incinerating.

You don't have power settings? Most have at least four, some have ten.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2011 5:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"mike" wrote in message
Microwave temperatures, Browning Plate, Harmful???

My microwave died and I got a new 1100W one.
Big error. With a minimum on-time of 15 seconds,
it cooks the crap out of stuff for some percentage
of the time. 1100W for 15 seconds out of a minute is NOT the same
as 300W for the whole time. It's a PITA to have to
put a cup of water in there to keep food from incinerating.

You don't have power settings? Most have at least four, some have ten.

Power setting on most, if not all, microwave ovens are just a long
pulse width modulation of the magnetron. So setting it at 25%
"power" for 1 minute will run it for 15 seconds during that 1
minute. As far as the cycling, I've seen much variance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
Microwave temperatures, Browning Plate, Harmful???

My microwave died and I got a new 1100W one.
Big error. With a minimum on-time of 15 seconds,
it cooks the crap out of stuff for some percentage
of the time. 1100W for 15 seconds out of a minute is NOT the same
as 300W for the whole time. It's a PITA to have to
put a cup of water in there to keep food from incinerating.

You don't have power settings? Most have at least four, some have ten.

Power setting on most, if not all, microwave ovens are just a long
pulse width modulation of the magnetron. *So setting it at 25%
"power" for 1 minute will run it for 15 seconds during that 1
minute. *As far as the cycling, I've seen much variance.

I have a Panasonic that is a few years old. Nothing special, just
a typical $100 counter unit. It has 10 power settings and the power
appears constant. It doesn't pulse it on and off at full power
periodically, at least not in a noticeable way. They may be pulsing
it so fast that you can't tell it's happening. The only way I get
the
noticeable pulsing action is when I select defrost.

In any case, any of the power management modes would be the
answer to excessive heating of the plate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Actually, learning how to use it properly, IS the answer. We use
our microwave for the typical re-heating, etc., but, we do a lot of
actual cooking in it, also. By knowing your unit and it power, you
can use it without killing your food. It's just like the food
processor. I've heard people complain that they won't use it
because it liquefies everything. Believe me, you just have to know
how to turn it off, actually, pulsing the unit. And, back to the
microwave, most units don't actually tell you when it is running or
not. The fans keep right on humming. But, in many cases there are
subtle indications, i.e. sound or watching the light. On mine I can
hear a small change in the fan speed when the magnetron turns off
and you can actually see a small change in the light intensity.
Apparently, there is a small voltage drop that occurs when the
magnetron is drawing large power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote in message
[...]

magnetron is drawing large power.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I see the light dim slightly when it pulses when set to defrost
food.
But it doesn't do that when I set the power to any of the lower
settings.

Agree with knowing how to use stuff. A friend gave me a food
processor because they got it as a gift and never use it. I use
it regularly for everything from making cauliflower puree to soup.
It also depends on how ambitous you are, how much you like
to cook, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote in message
[...]

to cook, etc.- Hide quoted text -

If you set the power level to 50%, you should be able to see the same
sort of pulsing that you see on defrost. If there is a container of
water in the uwave, bring it up to boiling by seting the uwave at
100%. Then, restart the uwave at a 50% power, you should be able to
see the water reboil, then stop, then reboil, then stop, etc if the
power is truly at 50%. If it does not exhibit this behavior, then
then uwave is defective or you are not setting it up correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

*wrote in message
[...]

==
Best advice would be for the OP to READ the instruction manual that
comes with every microwave oven. If one is not available then phone/
fax/write or get on the Internet and obtain one from the manufacturer
or his/her agent.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Well....
I'm the OP.
And I have READ the manual. I have experimentally determined how it works.
And I ACCURATELY described the workings.

My question was about the effect of an accessory item, the browning plate,
on the longevity of the microwave oven.
The browning plate is supposed to get HOT and it does.
I'm concerned about the long-term effects of the 600F plate
in an oven with a plastic carousel mechanism designed for an
environment that normally peaks at 212F.
Hoping to hear from someone who regularly uses a browning
dish/plate/skillet.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Feb 1, 8:33*pm, mike wrote:
Roy wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

On my Corningware sauce pan it says "Maximum preheat 4 minutes". I
have used this for over twenty years and so far have not melted
anything. My old microwave oven (648 watt) has no turntable but has a
shallow removable pyrex plate covering the entire bottom of the oven.
Other than the glass panel in the door the inner box is made of
plastic for the most part. Perhaps the browning plate is not needed
for the new higher powered microwave ovens. The users manual must say
something...if not go to the manufacturers web site and check that
out.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2011 10:33 PM, mike wrote:

Well....
I'm the OP.
And I have READ the manual. I have experimentally determined how it works.
And I ACCURATELY described the workings.

My question was about the effect of an accessory item, the browning plate,
on the longevity of the microwave oven.
The browning plate is supposed to get HOT and it does.
I'm concerned about the long-term effects of the 600F plate
in an oven with a plastic carousel mechanism designed for an
environment that normally peaks at 212F.
Hoping to hear from someone who regularly uses a browning
dish/plate/skillet.

Since you can't seem to find the answer on this group, why not contact
the manufacturer and ask the customer service rep whether it is safe to
use the browning plate in the model you own? Get the name of the rep
you spoke to. If they say it is safe and you damage your microwave with
it, you've got some specifics to go back to them with. If they say it
is not safe at least you are warned, and you know that you will have no
recourse with the manufacturer warranty enforcement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote in message
[...]

then uwave is defective or you are not setting it up correctly.- Hide quoted text -

It always amazes me how some people think that because they
haven't seen something, it can't exist. I just tried your experiment
and the water boils continously and violently at 100%. Set to 50%
power, it boils continously only more moderately. Also, as I
pointed out before, when it's on the DEFROST setting, I can then
clearly see that the light dims and the sound of the fan motor
decreases slightly each time the microwave heater cycles on.
That dimming and sound change does not occur when you just
set it to normal heating, but reduced power, ie 30%, 50%, etc.

Is it so hard to believe that some manufacturers have found a
better way to design a microwave?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Feb 2, 7:29*am, wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

Panasonic has the new system as you describe and it is a far better
way than the old on off cycle way. I am tempted to buy one of the new
ones but my twenty five year old Toshiba still works. Maybe next year.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 12:37*pm, Roy wrote:
On Feb 2, 7:29*am, wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

Good to see I'm not imagining things. I looked into it more and
Panasonic calls it their "inverter technology" and does say it
delivers constant power instead of pulsing....

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...technology.jsp
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it so hard to believe that some manufacturers have found a
better way to design a microwave?

==
Panasonic has the new system as you describe and it is a far better
way than the old on off cycle way. I am tempted to buy one of the new
ones but my twenty five year old Toshiba still works. Maybe next year.

Good to see I'm not imagining things. I looked into it more and
Panasonic calls it their "inverter technology" and does say it
delivers constant power instead of pulsing....

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...technology.jsp

That's really nice, I wish mine had that. I know some manufacturer
did this a bunch of years ago, but it then seemed to disappear. I
think the technology back then was too expensive and the bean
counters probably killed it in favor of the on/off cycling, which is
probably free once you have the microprocessor already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:

[...]

When I researched it, a common complaint was, "My old microwave
was still working after 20 years...the new Panasonic died after 2 years."
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...me-Appliances/....

That's really nice, I wish mine had that. *I know some manufacturer did
this a bunch of years ago, but it then seemed to disappear. *I think the
technology back then was too expensive and the bean counters probably
killed it in favor of the on/off cycling, which is probably free once
you have the microprocessor already.

When I researched it, a common complaint was, "My old microwave
was still working after 20 years...the new Panasonic died after 2 years."- Hide quoted text -

Interesting point. Mine is about 4 years old now. A few months ago
noticed that it's power output seems to have decreased a bit. Before
when I put a mug of coffee in it to warm it up for one minute it came
out more than hot enough. Now at 1 min, it's not hot enough, so I
have to go to about 80 secs. It's been that way for a few months now
and is otherwise working fine. But it may be the first signs of it's
decline.... Good thing is at least they don't cost what they did 20
years
ago. And I'd suspect all microwaves, like most things, don't last as
long today anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message news:c3c55e3b-4284-4ebe-9714-

stuff snipped

Panasonic has the new system as you describe and it is a far better
way than the old on off cycle way. I am tempted to buy one of the new
ones but my twenty five year old Toshiba still works. Maybe next year.

I can beat that. I have a 27 year old Litton that's still going strong,
although I had to repair the door. A super-simple twist timer makes it very
easy to operate. Fewer parts mean fewer failures. Made out of metal and not
cheap**** plastic. Those were the days.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Feb 5, 5:17*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
wrote in message news:c3c55e3b-4284-4ebe-9714-

stuff snipped

Panasonic has the new system as you describe and it is a far better
way than the old on off cycle way. I am tempted to buy one of the new
ones but my twenty five year old Toshiba still works. Maybe next year.

I can beat that. *I have a 27 year old Litton that's still going strong,
although I had to repair the door. *A super-simple twist timer makes it very
easy to operate. Fewer parts mean fewer failures. *Made out of metal and not
cheap**** plastic. *Those were the days.

--
Bobby G.

==
Bought one of those for my wife once. She didn't like it so I took it
back. I believe they cost around $900 at the time. They were top of
the line in their day. Man were they built...not like the cheap junk
in today's world.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

I can't remember paying that much for it. Not sure I have the original
receipt though - just remember being "house poor" at the time and that $900
would have been painful. They are built like tanks - what you would expect
from a company that builds military equipment (Litton was bought by Northrop
Grumman). I can imagine that it wasn't stylish enough for a woman - it's
very military looking, design and paint-wise.

It was about the same time I bought a 25" RCA color TV that was so "basic"
it didn't even have a remote. But it ran for over 25 years with heavy use
and was still running when I finally ditched it. The set's colors had faded
making everything look like a badly colorized movie. But you have to admire
how long some of the stuff of that era was made. Compaq PC's, at least in
the early years, were built that way. Still have an SLT and other early
models that still boot up and run. Pain in the neck to work on, though,
since they used Torq screws, non-standard connectors and other BS.

--
Bobby G.