Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Are Bleach Tabs Harmful to Fluidmaster?

I know Fluidmaster warns that using the typical bleach toilet cleaning
tablets harm the parts to their various toilet hardware, but is this
true? Does vinyl tubing and plastic break down in the presence of a
bleach-water solution? I ask because I installed Fluidmaster's own
bleach cartridge system, but I'm not goiing to pay $7 for each
replacement cart.

Thank you.

Alan

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know Fluidmaster warns that using the typical bleach toilet cleaning
tablets harm the parts to their various toilet hardware, but is this
true? Does vinyl tubing and plastic break down in the presence of a
bleach-water solution? I ask because I installed Fluidmaster's own
bleach cartridge system, but I'm not goiing to pay $7 for each
replacement cart.

Thank you.

I think the problem has to do with the flush tower seal - it is silicon, not
rubber or plastic. It's been years since I had a chemistry course, but I
think the oxygen in the bleach would combine with the silicon, possibly
turning it into sand. Just a guess. Check the ingredients on the Fluidmaster
bleach and see if it is oxygen-free.

Doug Miller

In article , "Alan" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I know Fluidmaster warns that using the typical bleach toilet cleaning
tablets harm the parts to their various toilet hardware, but is this
true? Does vinyl tubing and plastic break down in the presence of a
bleach-water solution? I ask because I installed Fluidmaster's own
bleach cartridge system, but I'm not goiing to pay $7 for each
replacement cart.

I think the problem has to do with the flush tower seal - it is silicon, not
rubber or plastic.

Try again - it's silicone, not silicon.

It's been years since I had a chemistry course,

Really? :-)

--
Regards,

Alan

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Alan"

wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I know Fluidmaster warns that using the typical bleach toilet cleaning
tablets harm the parts to their various toilet hardware, but is this
true? Does vinyl tubing and plastic break down in the presence of a
bleach-water solution? I ask because I installed Fluidmaster's own
bleach cartridge system, but I'm not goiing to pay $7 for each
replacement cart.

I think the problem has to do with the flush tower seal - it is silicon,

not
rubber or plastic.

Try again - it's silicone, not silicon.

Oops. Details, details....

It's been years since I had a chemistry course,

Really? :-)

--
Regards,

John Weiss

wrote...
I know Fluidmaster warns that using the typical bleach toilet cleaning
tablets harm the parts to their various toilet hardware, but is this
true?

YES!

Disposing of Bleach Water [email protected] Home Repair 47 November 29th 20 07:31 PM
Bleach vs. Tilex Steve Henderson Home Repair 15 December 20th 04 03:58 PM
Fluidmaster timegoesby UK diy 2 September 9th 04 07:44 PM
FluidMaster Valves Andy Hall UK diy 0 August 15th 03 11:19 PM