Default Disposing of Bleach Water

Every now and again, I'll fill a 5-gallon bucket with a 1 part bleach
to 9 parts water solution of bleach water to sterilize things around
the backyard like bird feeders and stuff. My question is how to dispose
of the bleach water afterwards? Do I schlepp it into the house and
pour it down the toilet or kitchen sink? Is it safe to pour on the
ground? I garden organically, and the last thing I want to do is ruin
the ecosystem I've created with bleach water.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Matt

Pour it in the neighbors yard to see if it hurts anything or not.

Buck Turgidson

Every now and again, I'll fill a 5-gallon bucket with a 1 part bleach
to 9 parts water solution of bleach water to sterilize things around
the backyard like bird feeders and stuff. My question is how to dispose
of the bleach water afterwards? Do I schlepp it into the house and
pour it down the toilet or kitchen sink? Is it safe to pour on the
ground? I garden organically, and the last thing I want to do is ruin
the ecosystem I've created with bleach water.

I am no gardening expert, but pouring it down the drain is no different from
washing clothes with bleach. It ends up in the same place. People have
been doing that for decades.

Usually, by the time I get done with it, it's pretty murky stuff. If I
used it over and over again, I feel I'd be contaminating things more
than cleaning 'em. And I've got to get rid of the stuff eventually.
:/

-Fleemo

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
Every now and again, I'll fill a 5-gallon bucket with a 1 part bleach
to 9 parts water solution of bleach water to sterilize things around
the backyard like bird feeders and stuff. My question is how to dispose
of the bleach water afterwards? Do I schlepp it into the house and
pour it down the toilet or kitchen sink? Is it safe to pour on the
ground? I garden organically, and the last thing I want to do is ruin
the ecosystem I've created with bleach water.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

it's not safe to pour on the ground where you have living plants, as it will
kill everything.

you could just let it sit in the sunlight, and the chlorine will break down
over a period of a few days, and you'll be left with just water. if you're
not on a septic tank, you could just pour it down the drain, or you could
pour it in the gutter and it will just evaporate.

Matt

It's good for bathing kittens in.

LFR

"Matt" wrote in message oups.com...
It's good for bathing kittens in.

.........and guys named Matt

toller

I presume you are using it outside?
Personally I would dump it in the street. It will dissipate before it can
hurt anything.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice. I really
appreciate it.

-Fleemo

effi

wrote in message
oups.com...
Every now and again, I'll fill a 5-gallon bucket with a 1 part bleach
to 9 parts water solution of bleach water to sterilize things around
the backyard like bird feeders and stuff. My question is how to dispose
of the bleach water afterwards? Do I schlepp it into the house and
pour it down the toilet or kitchen sink? Is it safe to pour on the
ground? I garden organically, and the last thing I want to do is ruin
the ecosystem I've created with bleach water.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

chlorine bleach is a very toxic poison to humans and the environment

use it up or pour it down the drain

natural bleach substitutes can be made from citrus jiuces and/or hydrogen
peroxide

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
Every now and again, I'll fill a 5-gallon bucket with a 1 part bleach
to 9 parts water solution of bleach water to sterilize things around
the backyard like bird feeders and stuff. My question is how to dispose
of the bleach water afterwards? Do I schlepp it into the house and
pour it down the toilet or kitchen sink? Is it safe to pour on the
ground? I garden organically, and the last thing I want to do is ruin
the ecosystem I've created with bleach water.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

This is Turtle.

Rinse the sinks and toilets with the water to disinfect them too while your at
it. It also help kill germs and oders from the drains. Bleach Kill All germs
including Aids. Also use it on dirty places on your concrete drive ways or
patios. Also put it in the Trash cans to disinfect them too but do wash it out
if they are metal.

Also use it to kill foot oder from your feet. there was a Foot Doctor that told
my uncle that soaking his feet in a 1 part bleach and 3 part water would remove
all the dead skin from his feet and stop the foot oder from his feet for 3 to 6
months. Also don't soak your feet more than 5 minute in the bleach solution or
it will wrinkle up your skin on your feet.

Next week we will cover using it to clean the white wall on your tires of your
car. Tune in next week !

TURTLE

P.S. the cleaning your feet of Foot Oder with bleach is not a Joke and was
really told to my uncle by a Dermitologiest.

TURTLE

kevwalsh

For goodness sake! Why the hell are you bleaching your bird feeders?
You garden organically, but happily slop bleach around your yard? Use
soap. Better yet, just water. Or even better, just leave the silly
thing alone. The birds don't care, and neither should you!

Roger Shoaf

"effi" wrote in message

chlorine bleach is a very toxic poison to humans and the environment

use it up or pour it down the drain

natural bleach substitutes can be made from citrus jiuces and/or hydrogen
peroxide

Pure natural spring water can be toxic if you drink too much of it. The
bleach is no big deal if diluted or evaporated.

Chlorine in drinking water has saved millions form water borne disease.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Richard J Kinch

I garden organically, and the last thing I want to do is ruin
the ecosystem I've created with bleach water.

Nonsense. End products of bleach oxidation are small amounts of water-
soluble things like sodium chloride. Harmless if well-dispersed.

effi

"PAUL100" wrote in message
http://www.healthyhomecare.com/faq_bleach.shtml#5. this tells all about
bleach
and how it breaks down rapidly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cqs.com/edioxin.htm
"We now know that dioxin exhibits serious health effects when it reaches as
little as a few parts per trillion in your body fat. Dioxin is a powerful
hormone disrupting chemical. By binding to a cell's hormone receptor, it
literally modifies the functioning and genetic mechanism of the cell,
causing a wide range of effects, from cancer to reduced immunity to nervous
system disorders to miscarriages and birth deformity. Because it literally
changes the functioning of your cells, the effects can be very obvious or
very subtle. Because it changes gene functions, it can cause so-called
genetic diseases to appear, and can interfere with child development. There
is no "threshold" dose - the tiniest amount can cause damage, and our bodies
have no defense against it...
Unfortunately, according to the EPA, much of the population of the U.S. is
at the dose at which there can be serious health effects...

Dioxin...has been a hazard downstream of paper mills (where chlorine bleach
combines with natural organics in wood pulp and produces dioxin)."

http://www.cleaningpro.com/toxic.cfm

"Nationwide, more than 32 million pounds of household cleaning products are
poured down the drain each day. Many of these products contain toxic
substances that are NOT processed adequately by sewage treatment plants or
septic systems. Careless or improper use and disposal of these products may
threaten individual health or lead to accidental poisoning. Long term or
cumulative environmental consequences may also occur like contamination of
surface and ground water...

DID YOU KNOW ?
a.. THAT OF THE 17,OOO CHEMICALS THAT APPEAR IN COMMON HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS,
ONLY 30% HAVE BEEN ADEQUATELY TESTED FOR THE NEGATIVE EFFECTS ON OUR HEALTH

a.. MEDICAL DOCTORS AND SCIENTISTS HAVE STUDIED, ANALYZED, EVALUATED, AND
CONCLUDED
THAT THERE IS A DEFINITIVE CONNECTION BETWEEN OUR HEALTH AND
THE USE OF EVERYDAY COMMON HOUSEHOLD CLEANING CHEMICALS ...

Most household cleaners contain toxic chemicals. Ammonia is in almost all of
them and is lethal if combined with bleach (forming chloramine)...

As a by-product of its oxidizing process, BLEACH releases 'chloramine gas'
into the air which destroys oxygen content and diminishes indoor air quality
dramatically...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.care2.com/channels/soluti...me/511?print=1
Chlorine bleach can cause cancer causing chemicals to form in the waste
water stream.

http://www.non-toxic.info/

The most toxic substances to aquatic organisms present in the water were
household bleach, all-purpose cleaner, laundry detergent, and dish
detergent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://nemo.uconn.edu/publications/c...rs/cwfact2.pdf

Chlorine bleach compounds are toxic to aquatic organisms in very low
concentrations...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"effi" wrote in message

chlorine bleach is a very toxic poison to humans and the environment

Pure natural spring water can be toxic if you drink too much of it. The
bleach is no big deal if diluted or evaporated.

Chlorine in drinking water has saved millions form water borne disease.

Effi can find information that proves everything is toxic.

For goodness sake! Why the hell are you bleaching your bird feeders?
You garden organically, but happily slop bleach around your yard? Use
soap. Better yet, just water. Or even better, just leave the silly
thing alone. The birds don't care, and neither should you!

Like humans, birds transmit diseases to each other. Unlike humans,
they also poop where they eat, exacerbating the problem. Diseases like
Conjunctivitis are easily transmitted through contaminated feeders.
Here's a quote from the Wild Birds Unlimited website:

4. Keep feeders clean - Clean and disinfect feeders regularly. Use one
part liquid chlorine household bleach in nine parts of tepid water (a
10% solution) to disinfect. Make enough solution to immerse an empty,
cleaned feeder completely for two to three minutes. Allow to air dry.
Once or twice a month should do, but weekly cleaning may be needed if
you notice sick birds at your feeders.
But thanks for your concern.

-Fleemo

Matt

This is also true for kittens. I saw it on the Wild Kittens Unlimited
website.

Gideon

The poster asked for your advice on how to best dispose of bleach.
Why the sermon on lifestyle and tree-hugging?

Your not too big on hygiene, are you? I assume that one bar of
soap and one roll of toilet paper probably last you about 25 years.

=====================

Norminn wrote
Created an ecosystem with bleach water? How about building a rocket and
flying the bucket to Mars? Get rid of the bird feeder and weed seed,
buy a shrub with some nice berries and let the critters eat what nature
provides. You might get "double duty" from a shrub with flowers that
attract butterflies.

You are "sterilizing" stuff the animals poop on? Save "sterile" for the
kitchen and bath. Better yet, clean is fine. Your animal friends eat
dead, rotting animal and vegetable matter, so they don't need indoor
sanitation in the outdoors.

Gideon

effi blurted out in a politically correct tone:
"Nationwide, more than 32 million pounds of household cleaning products are
poured down the drain each day. Many of these products contain toxic
substances that are NOT processed adequately by sewage treatment plants or
septic systems.

======

Yeah - I'm certain that my local municipal sewage treatment plant is
going to be bother by a bit of additional sodium hypochlorite in the waste
water that I send to them. What the hell do you think is the major bacteria
destroyer that they add to the water as they are treating it? I'd continue
to explain to you, but I've got to go hug a tree right now.

willshak

On 1/26/2005 6:00 PM US(ET), Gideon took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

effi blurted out in a politically correct tone:
"Nationwide, more than 32 million pounds of household cleaning products are
poured down the drain each day. Many of these products contain toxic
substances that are NOT processed adequately by sewage treatment plants or
septic systems.

======

Yeah - I'm certain that my local municipal sewage treatment plant is
going to be bother by a bit of additional sodium hypochlorite in the waste
water that I send to them. What the hell do you think is the major bacteria
destroyer that they add to the water as they are treating it? I'd continue
to explain to you, but I've got to go hug a tree right now.

I can see hugging another person, animal, or even a stuffed toy, but a tree?
There are ants and bugs crawling all over it.

--
Bill

Leave it to evaporate in a bucket outside, and then throw the solid
part in the trash. It will be neutralized by that point.

Edwin Pawlowski

"willshak" wrote in message

I can see hugging another person, animal, or even a stuffed toy, but a
tree?
There are ants and bugs crawling all over it.

--
Bill

Not if you spray the tree with bleach first.

Gideon

And just how many municipal water systems are dumping ammonia in the water
supply to purify it? How many pool supply retail outlets are pushing ammonia?
Sorry - bleach is the extremely economical and effective disinfectant.

zxcvbob wrote in message ...
wrote:
[...]

There are better disinfectants than bleach. Quaternary ammonia is a
great hospital disinfectant and will kill germs, viruses, and parasites.
A 0.1% solution would probably be about right for this use. I buy it at
Fleet Farm as a 10% concentrate called "Steramine" in the dairy supplies
aisle. You would use about 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp.) per gallon of water.

Best regards,
Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Gideon" wrote in message

That was my reactions - well intended advice, but who wants to
wait for a gallon of water to evaporate? Will it ever evaporate with
snow or rain refilling the container? If it does eventually evaportate,
then the sodium hypochlorite crystals left behind will be somewhat
uniformly distributed on the sides and bottom of the container. How
do we get rid of these bleach crystals? Add water to the container
to rinse them off. We're back were we started.

Gideon

You don't have to wait for it to evaporate. Heat and sun will break down
the chlorine and you dump the water. Mix a dilute solution of bleach and
water. Leave it sit in an open container and come back in a week. See how
much it smell like bleach.

Ever wonder why they always add chlorine to swimming pools on a regular
basis? Were does it go?

Bubba

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:49:02 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Gideon" wrote in message

That was my reactions - well intended advice, but who wants to
wait for a gallon of water to evaporate? Will it ever evaporate with
snow or rain refilling the container? If it does eventually evaportate,
then the sodium hypochlorite crystals left behind will be somewhat
uniformly distributed on the sides and bottom of the container. How
do we get rid of these bleach crystals? Add water to the container
to rinse them off. We're back were we started.

Gideon

You don't have to wait for it to evaporate. Heat and sun will break down
the chlorine and you dump the water. Mix a dilute solution of bleach and
water. Leave it sit in an open container and come back in a week. See how
much it smell like bleach.

Ever wonder why they always add chlorine to swimming pools on a regular
basis? Were does it go?

Its absorbed in the disposable diapers of all those little kiddies
****in in the pool.
Bubba