Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Softener effluent...harmful or not?

I am planning on running a pipe from my sump pump pit to daylight
behind my house. The water softener (approx. 9 years old) effluent
discharges into my sump pit and hence would be occasionally dispensed
along with the water normally accumulating in the pit onto a certain
area behind my house (where the pipe ultimately daylights).

Should I be concerned about the potential harmful effects this
effluent might have on grass in the area? I have read some recent
literature that water softener effluent is not the scourge on septic
systems as the original axiom suggested and may, in fact, be
beneficial for septic systems. I have not found any information,
however, relative to the impact of effluent (especially when it is a
portion of the total outflow) to plant life.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts regarding,
--Howie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Few years back, i cleaned my salt holding tank after 15 years of operation.
I dumped the salt brian in the back yard, from the tank and then took
my garden hose to desperse it. Bad mistake! Killed all the vegetation in the
area for 4 years!

I have a septic tank, and it does not have any effect on it, if fact the
system works well!
My 2 cents worth!

"Howie" wrote in message
I am planning on running a pipe from my sump pump pit to daylight
behind my house. The water softener (approx. 9 years old) effluent
discharges into my sump pit and hence would be occasionally dispensed
along with the water normally accumulating in the pit onto a certain
area behind my house (where the pipe ultimately daylights).

Should I be concerned about the potential harmful effects this
effluent might have on grass in the area? I have read some recent
literature that water softener effluent is not the scourge on septic
systems as the original axiom suggested and may, in fact, be
beneficial for septic systems. I have not found any information,
however, relative to the impact of effluent (especially when it is a
portion of the total outflow) to plant life.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts regarding,
--Howie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Howie" wrote in message

Should I be concerned about the potential harmful effects this
effluent might have on grass in the area?

Yes, it will kill the grass

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:57:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Howie" wrote in message

Should I be concerned about the potential harmful effects this
effluent might have on grass in the area?

Yes, it will kill the grass

Would a switch to potassium chloride "salt" remove the portion of the
effluent that doesn't relate well to the grass?
--Howie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Howie wrote:
I am planning on running a pipe from my sump pump pit to daylight
behind my house. The water softener (approx. 9 years old) effluent
discharges into my sump pit and hence would be occasionally dispensed
along with the water normally accumulating in the pit onto a certain
area behind my house (where the pipe ultimately daylights).

Should I be concerned about the potential harmful effects this
effluent might have on grass in the area? I have read some recent
literature that water softener effluent is not the scourge on septic
systems as the original axiom suggested and may, in fact, be
beneficial for septic systems. I have not found any information,
however, relative to the impact of effluent (especially when it is a
portion of the total outflow) to plant life.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts regarding,
--Howie

Hi,
No brainer! Salt is bad for vegetation. It'll kill them by dehydration.
Even may kill good beneficial bacteria for septic system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Howie" wrote in message

Should I be concerned about the potential harmful effects this
effluent might have on grass in the area?

Yes, it will kill the grass

Would a switch to potassium chloride "salt" remove the portion of
the effluent that doesn't relate well to the grass?
--Howie

No. The first element (sodium/potassium) winds up in what you drink.
The second element (chloride) winds up in the discharge as calcium
chloride.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...