Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anchoring screws in a lamp

I'm repairing a used high-intensity lamp with a magnifying lens that I
picked up. Three screw sockets are either split or disintegrated,
probably from over-tightening. (See picture 1.) On one side of the
lamp housing, I ground down part of the damaged socket with a Dremel
and glued a plastic anchor in place bracing it with the side of the
housing. (See picture 2.) I'm pretty sure this will work ok for that
side.

On the other side, the sockets are 1/2" from the side of the housing
so there's nothing to support a plastic anchor. (See picture 3;
sockets in picture 1 viewed from above.) I could use a suggestion on
how to support these two screws.

Picture 1
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5237/27526938.jpg

Picture 2
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5236/53461620.jpg

Picture 3
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7058/81995353.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Been there done that. Filled hole with 24 hour JB Weld. Put a sleeve around
broken parts and added more JB. Before taking JB out of tubes to mix I warm
the 2 tubes with a heat gun (careflly) This makes it more fluid and will
fill hole. Next day drill and tap in threads for proper hole size for
screws. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 8:49*pm, "
wrote:
I'm repairing a used high-intensity lamp with a magnifying lens that I
picked up. *Three screw sockets are either split or disintegrated,
probably from over-tightening. *(See picture 1.) *On one side of the
lamp housing, I ground down part of the damaged socket with a Dremel
and glued a plastic anchor in place bracing it with the side of the
housing. *(See picture 2.) *I'm pretty sure this will work ok for that
side.

On the other side, the sockets are 1/2" from the side of the housing
so there's nothing to support a plastic anchor. *(See picture 3;
sockets in picture 1 viewed from above.) *I could use a suggestion on
how to support these two screws.

Picture 1http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5237/27526938.jpg

Picture 2http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5236/53461620.jpg

Picture 3http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7058/81995353.jpg

The repair suggested by WW is worth a try.

Otherwise, I'd try drilling & tapping the remaining boss and using a
small diameter machine screw.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2011 10:49 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have a plastic repair product that I used when I was repairing a lot
of consumer electronic items. I got it from the local electronic supply
house years ago. It is a fine plastic powder and a solvent that when
mixed in the proper ratio will produce a plastic putty or paste and will
be much like the plastic part being repaired when it sets up. I couldn't
find the original online but I came across the same thing he

http://plastex.net/

Look at their thread repair photos:

http://plastex.net/index.php?pr=Repaired_Photos

And how to video:

http://plastex.net/index.php?pr=How_To_Videos

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 14, 10:49*pm, "
wrote:

snip

Consider studs instead of screws. The repair would then consist of
anchoring cut off screws (studs) into what remains of the threads with
Cyanoacrylate cement, then reinforcing with JB Weld build up. That
might even be far stronger than the original.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 1:13*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:49*pm, "

wrote:
snip

Consider studs instead of screws. The repair would then consist of
anchoring cut off screws (studs) into what remains of the threads with
Cyanoacrylate cement, then reinforcing with JB Weld build up. That
might even be far stronger than the original.

Joe

What everyone else has said is exactly what I would say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll second that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) "
wrote in message

What everyone else has said is exactly what I would say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A big thank you to everyone for your suggestions and comments. The
lamp is now back together and working.

Also, special thanks to BobK for introducing me to the proper word for
a molded socket: boss. (Do most DIY folks recognize that word or just
mechanical engineers?)
Bob