Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mr16 halogen lamp sockets with grub screws?

Hi,

Does anybody know where you can get sockets for mr16 bulbs
that have built in grub screws to properly grip the pins
of the mr16. I know these exist!

=== story ===

I have 12v mr16 halogen lamps all over the house and in
general they are a disaster. They are always failing. One
WC this morning had 4 lamps not working. However a few
taps or wiggles of the connector and they all come back
on fine. Indeed over the last 10 years I have had less
than 5 of these bulbs go.

It is always the connector or socket that lets them down.
The WC's and the kitchen also have ceiling mounted extraction
fans and I wonder if the vibration from the fans could be
affecting the sockets.

However in one WC the mr16 sockets had little grub screws
in the socket that screwed into the pins of the mr16.
These never failed and all bulbs are fine after 10years
on use. (going dim but that is another story)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I'm sceptical that what you describe really exists as any
kind of conforming lampholder, as the forces it puts on the
pins are not what the lamp is designed for.

Well I have 6 of them in my bathroom. However you got me thinking....
the bulb fittings are very marginally smaller than the other
mr16s around the place. Also the bracelet used to hold the bulb
into the fitting is quite different.

The bulb socket does look as though it has been used as intended,
it does not look a bodge. What is this about force? The only force
is on the pin, is that any worse and a firm crimp?

Halogen sockets David Lesher Electronics Repair 4 March 11th 08 08:23 PM
To: Jeff Wisnia Re Halogen Lamp Sockets Robert11 Home Repair 0 October 18th 07 12:34 PM
MR16 Halogen bulb Kathy Home Repair 4 March 6th 06 01:49 PM
Halogen Lamp looks promising. The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 0 December 29th 05 11:29 PM
How do they make grub screws? Roy Smith Metalworking 14 April 16th 05 01:48 AM