Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum fascia

How to correctly install aluminum fascia? With vinyl soffit I am more
or less clear: install J-channel, put the soffit one side inside the
channel, nail another to underside of wood fascia board. But with
aluminum fascia I am unclear how it is installed. I am going to use
pre-bent 6" wide 12' long aluminum fascia available at HD or Lowes. It
is already pre-bent L-shape and matches my 6" wood fascia board. I
understand that I wrap it wound the board and nail it with galvanized
roofing nails underneath the board covering the soffit. Where does the
top of the aluminum fascia go? Do I put it between plywood roofing
sheathing and roofing shingles? Does it go on top of whaterseal
membrane? Do I need to attach its top or face with any fasteners? What
about drip edge? Do I need one? Which one to use and how and where to
attach it? I will have gutters installed over fascia face.

The link to fascia/drip edge drawing would be very helpful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 10:23 am, ls02 wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:03 am, "Colbyt" wrote:

Next time get a licensed roofer that can follow the building code. For
now, try to fix it by tucking an L-section flashing secured under the
shingles with roofing cement. Installing gutters will hold it in
place.

Joe

And for now use trim strip along the gables and optionally where the gutters
will mount.

When the roof is done again the drip edge can go right over it.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 9:47*am, DT wrote:
In article
,
says...

[...]

Not sure what you mean by "wrap it around". The fascia is installed with
the bent leg underneath, so it covers the ends of the soffit panels.
Just slide the fascia up into place and nail through the face with trim
nails, not roofing nails. The ends can be bent to tuck neatly into
place.

The top edge would normally slide behind the face of the drip edge.

--
DT

Thank you. As I mentioned before I do not have drip edge. Roofing
shingles just overhang plywood sheathing. I am trying to figure out if
I should install drip edge first and then slide the fascia under the
drip edge. My understanding now that aluminum drip edge is usually
nailed to the roofing plywood sheathing before shingles are installed.
I obviously cannot do this now after shingles are in place. I wonder
how to attach the drip edge without nailing it or if I can skip drip
edge and just slide the aluminum fascia underneath the roofing
shingles.

I also read that it is better not to face nail the fascia and only
nail it from beneath to fascia board and face will eventually be
attached to the board when gutters are installed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 13, 10:13*am, ls02 wrote:

snip

I wonder
how to attach the drip edge without nailing it

snip

If you took time to read replies to your post you would have the
answer.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 12:35*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 13, 10:13*am, ls02 wrote:

snip
I wonder
how to attach the drip edge without nailing it
snip

If you took time to read replies to your post you would have the
answer.

Joe

The only info I see is using roofing cement. How do I do this? Do I
pry the shingles up, put the cement and then aluminum drip edge and
then press shingles down?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 1:34*pm, DT wrote:
In article
,
says.

I also read that it is better not to face nail the fascia and only
nail it from beneath to fascia board and face will eventually be
attached to the board when gutters are installed.

That's a new one on me. I don't think you could nail the underside of
the fascia. There is nothing solid to back it up, it's just resting on
the soffit panels, which aren't solid. You would just bend the heck out
of the fascia. Just face nail it enough to hold it in place until the
gutters get installed.

--
DT

Why is there nothing solid to back it up? Te aluminum fascia is
wrapped around 2 X 6 fascia board so it is nailed to underneath that
board. Is this not the right way to nail it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2011 3:29 PM, ls02 wrote:
On Jan 13, 1:34 pm, wrote:
In article
,
says.

I also read that it is better not to face nail the fascia and only
nail it from beneath to fascia board and face will eventually be
attached to the board when gutters are installed.

That's a new one on me. I don't think you could nail the underside of
the fascia. There is nothing solid to back it up, it's just resting on
the soffit panels, which aren't solid. You would just bend the heck out
of the fascia. Just face nail it enough to hold it in place until the
gutters get installed.

--
DT

Why is there nothing solid to back it up? Te aluminum fascia is
wrapped around 2 X 6 fascia board so it is nailed to underneath that
board. Is this not the right way to nail it?

Not a fan of metal-wrapping fascia boards, aka gutter boards, at least
not if the wrap doesn't go all the way up under the drip edge of the
roof. The wrap on this place keeps the fascia board wet all the time
(due to gutters filling with water whenever the too-small downspouts
clog), and several sections have rotted out. One spot even directed
water across the soffit, where it got into the wall and rotted out the
window over kitchen sink, which previous owner replaced without solving
the water problem. Fix ain't gonna be cheap or low-labor, so in the
meantime I drilled some weep holes in the wrap to let water out. The
casual observer can't see that it is trashed.

If I thought this place was worth the money, and I had the siding
replaced, I'd have same crew strip the soffits and gutter board, put up
plastic fascia, and plastic soffit. Need more attic venting anyway.
Outside trim is one area where that plastic wood stuff made from old pop
bottles really excels.

--
aem sends...

Cast aluminum with embeded 6061-T6 aluminum rods Ink Maker Metalworking 7 August 16th 07 06:00 AM
Removing/Replacing Aluminum Fascia Trim Jim Conway Home Repair 0 May 10th 06 08:40 PM
U.S. tests new ceramic armor made of aluminum oxynitride (clear aluminum) Gunner Asch Metalworking 7 December 25th 05 02:31 PM
Fascia Mania tonytony Home Repair 1 April 26th 05 12:02 AM
DIY Aluminum/Vinyl Fascia? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 March 7th 05 02:03 PM