Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default Aluminum fascia

In article
,
says...
On Jan 13, 1:34*pm, DT wrote:
In article
,
says.

I also read that it is better not to face nail the fascia and only
nail it from beneath to fascia board and face will eventually be
attached to the board when gutters are installed.

That's a new one on me. I don't think you could nail the underside of
the fascia. There is nothing solid to back it up, it's just resting

on
the soffit panels, which aren't solid. You would just bend the heck

out
of the fascia. Just face nail it enough to hold it in place until the
gutters get installed.

Why is there nothing solid to back it up? Te aluminum fascia is
wrapped around 2 X 6 fascia board so it is nailed to underneath that
board. Is this not the right way to nail it?

I thought from your original post that you were nailing the outer ends
of the soffit panels to the lower edge of the 2x6. In that case,
the aluminum fascia lower bend rests on the soffit panels, which are not
very solid.

If you are using F channels on the house and on the back side of the
2x6, then yes, the aluminum fits against the edge of the 2x6 and could
be nailed.

But even then, the 2x6 would have to be really straight or the aluminum
might buckle. Face nailing avoids buckling.

--
DT