Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Conway

Default Removing/Replacing Aluminum Fascia Trim

'white aluminum fascia
'trimmed' areas which surround the sides and tops of both garage doors.
This aluminum
trim is likely covering 2X4 rough studs, and appears to be taking water
underneath (despite
having been caulked between J-channel and alum. trim) as I've removed
fungi from between the J-channel and the trim on a couple of occasions
and re-caulked. Aluminum trim also appears to be separating and working
its way out from under J-channel at top of doors. In fact, I've seen
neighboring houses that have done exactly that. I'd like to remove the
alum trim before it becomes a bigger rot problem, but I'm thinking
composite material is not a good solution as the alum. covered
underlying wood is thicker than the J-channel edge (protrudes out by ~
1/2" or more) and covering all sides/edges watertight-- especially
adjacent
to the J-channel edge -- looks impossible. Any recommendations? TIA!!

I welded aluminum today Gunner Asch Metalworking 40 December 3rd 05 11:04 AM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
How to bend aluminum trim Don Metalworking 1 September 9th 04 03:00 PM
Soldering aluminum tubing to steel sheet metal Racer X Metalworking 8 May 15th 04 12:16 AM
Inexpensive Trim Options? HerHusband Woodworking 8 January 20th 04 06:40 PM