Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Aluminum fascia

On 1/13/2011 3:29 PM, ls02 wrote:
On Jan 13, 1:34 pm, wrote:
In article
,
says.

I also read that it is better not to face nail the fascia and only
nail it from beneath to fascia board and face will eventually be
attached to the board when gutters are installed.

That's a new one on me. I don't think you could nail the underside of
the fascia. There is nothing solid to back it up, it's just resting on
the soffit panels, which aren't solid. You would just bend the heck out
of the fascia. Just face nail it enough to hold it in place until the
gutters get installed.

--
DT

Why is there nothing solid to back it up? Te aluminum fascia is
wrapped around 2 X 6 fascia board so it is nailed to underneath that
board. Is this not the right way to nail it?

Not a fan of metal-wrapping fascia boards, aka gutter boards, at least
not if the wrap doesn't go all the way up under the drip edge of the
roof. The wrap on this place keeps the fascia board wet all the time
(due to gutters filling with water whenever the too-small downspouts
clog), and several sections have rotted out. One spot even directed
water across the soffit, where it got into the wall and rotted out the
window over kitchen sink, which previous owner replaced without solving
the water problem. Fix ain't gonna be cheap or low-labor, so in the
meantime I drilled some weep holes in the wrap to let water out. The
casual observer can't see that it is trashed.

If I thought this place was worth the money, and I had the siding
replaced, I'd have same crew strip the soffits and gutter board, put up
plastic fascia, and plastic soffit. Need more attic venting anyway.
Outside trim is one area where that plastic wood stuff made from old pop
bottles really excels.

--
aem sends...