Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC damper control question

I am redoing my basement and part of the work involves boxing around
ductwork which has a couple of dampers that control the flow to the
whole house. I have always left these dampers open, and controlled
the flow at the registers upstairs. Is there any reason why I can't
just lock these dampers to stay open and just box around the ductwork
and bury them? I had thought about putting some kind of access door,
but I don't think it would look nice considering the location.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am redoing my basement and part of the work involves boxing around
ductwork which has a couple of dampers that control the flow to the
whole house. I have always left these dampers open, and controlled
the flow at the registers upstairs. Is there any reason why I can't
just lock these dampers to stay open and just box around the ductwork
and bury them? I had thought about putting some kind of access door,
but I don't think it would look nice considering the location.

Thanks for all the tips but they aren't that bad so I guess I'll live with
it for now..The glasses are about 5 years old and I don't have the script as
they were made right at the eye doctors..They are invisaline bifocals..I got
them right after I had cataract surjury on my right eye...The left one needs
it now so I need to go back anyway...Probably do it in the spring...Again
thanks everyone...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, well, wrong thread, so I guess the scratches are affecting you more
than you realize.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am redoing my basement and part of the work involves boxing around
ductwork which has a couple of dampers that control the flow to the
whole house. I have always left these dampers open, and controlled
the flow at the registers upstairs. Is there any reason why I can't
just lock these dampers to stay open and just box around the ductwork
and bury them? I had thought about putting some kind of access door,
but I don't think it would look nice considering the location.

Thanks for all the tips but they aren't that bad so I guess I'll live with
it for now..The glasses are about 5 years old and I don't have the script
as they were made right at the eye doctors..They are invisaline
bifocals..I got them right after I had cataract surjury on my right
eye...The left one needs it now so I need to go back anyway...Probably do
it in the spring...Again thanks everyone...

Sorry..Wrong thread...LOL..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 11:38*pm, Mikepier wrote:
I am redoing my basement and part of the work involves boxing around
ductwork which has a couple of dampers that control the flow to the
whole house. *I have always left these dampers open, and controlled
the flow at the registers upstairs. Is there any reason why I can't
just lock these dampers to stay open and just box around the ductwork
and bury them? I had thought about putting some kind of access door,
but I don't think it would look nice considering the location.

Some pictures might be helpful. There's no code reason that I know of
not to cover them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:03*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:38*pm, Mikepier wrote:

I am redoing my basement and part of the work involves boxing around
ductwork which has a couple of dampers that control the flow to the
whole house. *I have always left these dampers open, and controlled
the flow at the registers upstairs. Is there any reason why I can't
just lock these dampers to stay open and just box around the ductwork
and bury them? I had thought about putting some kind of access door,
but I don't think it would look nice considering the location.

Some pictures might be helpful. *There's no code reason that I know of
not to cover them.

Not a code reason, but if his HVAC equipment was ever serviced or
some sort of imbalance was causing trouble, its better to have access
panels than have HVAC technicians cutting into your walls...

The OP knows where those balancing dampers are but will the next
owner of the home ?

~~ Evan