Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default HVAC damper control question

On Jan 10, 8:03*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:38*pm, Mikepier wrote:

I am redoing my basement and part of the work involves boxing around
ductwork which has a couple of dampers that control the flow to the
whole house. *I have always left these dampers open, and controlled
the flow at the registers upstairs. Is there any reason why I can't
just lock these dampers to stay open and just box around the ductwork
and bury them? I had thought about putting some kind of access door,
but I don't think it would look nice considering the location.

Some pictures might be helpful. *There's no code reason that I know of
not to cover them.

Not a code reason, but if his HVAC equipment was ever serviced or
some sort of imbalance was causing trouble, its better to have access
panels than have HVAC technicians cutting into your walls...

The OP knows where those balancing dampers are but will the next
owner of the home ?

~~ Evan